Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vidar Ambrosiani
Sweden
Nyköping
Södermanland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After hearing lots of good things about Paths of Glory, I finally got the chance to try it this spring. A tense game against a fellow newbie ended with a resounding allied victory after most of the German army went out of supply on the western! front. After that game, I wanted more, but the lack of opponents in my area (and my lousy internet connection at home, meaning Vassal, ACTS etc will be difficult), left me wondering. I knew I wanted the game, but could I justify spending good money on something that would just gather dust?

Then this fall, I went to Stockholm for work and got the opportunity to browse the FLGS there, and I just had to buy it (PoG silly, not the store).

Now I just needed an opponent. After looking through the apartment and considering the guys at work, I decided that my most realistic opponent would be my wife. I was very much ready for it to flop. Although she does play and enjoy War of the Ring (and plays a mean free people) she has voiced concerns about the unneccesary "chrome" with special exceptions. And what is PoG if not special exceptions.
But, after some talking, and promises of finishing the game as soon as she wanted, we started out explaining the rules at 2 pm saturday afternoon. I got the Allies as I figured she'd prefer to be on the offensive.

The game:

West Front: Germany beat hard on the poor French and easily took Verdun and the area south of Nancy. They also managed to reduce BEF to a corps. Then entrench was played and the Brits managed to get a sizeable force into Bar-de-Luc, guarding the supply lines of the entrenched forces in Nancy. A lot of men were spilled in the battle of Nancy, but with German bad luck (she says, I say slightly below average results), Nancy held and reinforcements went in. The front was deadlocked.

East Front: Russia started offensively against Austria and took the two VP areas in Austria. However, German reinforcements in form of two armies showed up and started pushing the Russians back, while a second German force took Lodz and Warsaw. Still several Russians left, but disorganized and not strong enough to counterattack. These Germans are tough.

Rest of the board:
Austria took Belgrade with small losses, MEF came in at Gallipoli, Italy entered in turn 9.

We called the game after turn 9, Allies had just managed to get into Total War and CP would not succeed in that, besides, it was almost midnight.

In total, a very satisfactory experience (a draw in the limited war scenario, with 13 VP:s). You really feel the angst of an WWI general, and even though my wife thought the game too long and too many silly details (cards like Sud army and Libyan Revolt etc...) she agreed that it's a good game and said she'd be willing to play again some time, when we have a weekend to spare.

This session was enough to raise my rating from 8 to 9. I can't wait to play again. Perhaps it's time to invest in better internet connection.

/Vidar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got your wife to play POG ! You dont need an internet connection if my girlfriend gamed I d never go out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vidar Ambrosiani
Sweden
Nyköping
Södermanland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I count myself fortunate to have found a gaming wife (although not as fanatic as I am). However, she does very much prefer to be able to finish the game in an evening and thus we mostly play shorter games like Fury of Dracula and War of the Ring (WoTr, the obviously "short game" :-)). That means PoG won't hit the table very much...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the game seems to be balanced in favor of the Allies (by roughly the equivalent of 2 VPs, if tournament play is any indicatory) maybe you'd be better off letting her play the Allies next time. I want you to have the highest chance of success at playing this fantastic game for years to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's extremely difficult for the Germans to take Verdun or Nancy--probably shouldn't have been that easy, even with good German dice. Allied player needs to think attritionally and keep those forts at all costs and reinforcing them. Speaking as someone who has pretty much only played the CP in this game when playing with other player (about 4-5 times) Verdun is the lynchpin of defense for the Allies. It's in a terrible, terrible spot for the Germans and forces them to tie down a ton more units than they would like to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vidar Ambrosiani
Sweden
Nyköping
Södermanland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for her taking the allies, I figured that we probably wouldn't finish the game, and it seemed more fun for her to go on the offensive. Next time we might switch, (or I pay the 2 VP:s for the allies).

As for Verdun, I probably played suboptimally in defense, but I felt I didn't have the units to spare, without opening up my lines, as she hit it first thing after Sedan (i.e. almost no BR or FR reinforcements had arrived.) Still, Nancy did the job of tying up lots of German units as well and sort of wored as a second Verdun.

I also failed to play Moltke as an event and we both (especially she) probably played too much Ops and too few other cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good move on your part actually; playing Moltke as an event as the Allies can be a bad play if your wife (I can't believe your wife will play with you, lucky dog you) used Guns of August. You don't want to give her the easy 2 warscore from Falkenhayn, but rather force her to play Oberost and the other mobilization 1 WS card--*and* she will likely have to play Falkenhayn as an event later in the game anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vidarrr wrote:
After hearing lots of good things about Paths of Glory, I finally got the chance to try it this spring. A tense game against a fellow newbie ended with a resounding allied victory after most of the German army went out of supply on the western! front. After that game, I wanted more, but the lack of opponents in my area (and my lousy internet connection at home, meaning Vassal, ACTS etc will be difficult), left me wondering. I knew I wanted the game, but could I justify spending good money on something that would just gather dust?

Then this fall, I went to Stockholm for work and got the opportunity to browse the FLGS there, and I just had to buy it (PoG silly, not the store).

Now I just needed an opponent. After looking through the apartment and considering the guys at work, I decided that my most realistic opponent would be my wife. I was very much ready for it to flop. Although she does play and enjoy War of the Ring (and plays a mean free people) she has voiced concerns about the unneccesary "chrome" with special exceptions. And what is PoG if not special exceptions.
But, after some talking, and promises of finishing the game as soon as she wanted, we started out explaining the rules at 2 pm saturday afternoon. I got the Allies as I figured she'd prefer to be on the offensive.

/Vidar

Hello, I have the game on Cyberboard and can thus play by email. I have a steady opponent and we switch sides. We've halfway through our third or fourth game. So, basically you do all of your moves for an action, save, then send on to the opponent. It works pretty well.

Let me know if you want me to direct you to the cyberboard.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vidar Ambrosiani
Sweden
Nyköping
Södermanland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason

Does that mean that you can do your moves off-line on the cyberboard and then get online just for the sending? If so, my low-capacity modem wouldn't be too much trouble.

A quick guide on how it works would be excellent!

/Vidar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vidarrr wrote:
Hi Jason

Does that mean that you can do your moves off-line on the cyberboard and then get online just for the sending? If so, my low-capacity modem wouldn't be too much trouble.

/Vidar

Actually you just do your turn, save it and then email the file the other player. So, yes, that's how it works.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vidarrr wrote:
Hi Jason

/Vidar

Sorry, missed this portion. There is a guide on BGG in the downloads along with the files needed.

One hint...make sure that you both download the same edition of cyberboard. I think that they are on v 3.02. Here is the cyberboard main files that you need.

http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/

Hope this helps.
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.