Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for clogging the forums with this post, and maybe this is an odd question to ask, but I'm getting genuinely concerned here before plunging into this game:

Does this game have terrible rules? I'm hardly an expert, but I don't remember seeing another game get this many rules questions posted on BGG immediately out of the gate. Then there was a review I saw today on the Dice Tower from the Board Game Corner guys saying that the game was quite difficult to understand from the manual ...

So:

Poll
Are Viceroy's rules indecipherable?
Yes! God, yes!
No, but there are tons of edge cases that aren't addressed in the manual.
No, but there are a few edge cases that aren't addressed in the manual.
No, they're simple to understand for intelligent people like myself.
      120 answers
Poll created by gwintner

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you go to the forums of any mildly popular game that hits a couple thousand people at once you're going to see a similar flurry of rules questions.

Many of them will be redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lord I almost Florida'd this poll. Rules are very easy to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that gave me pause as I went through the rulebook was all the different ways to score points. Then I saw that everything was summarized on the back of the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you genuinely concerned??? Just wait, the game isn't going anywhere... I don't think these posts come close to games with rules issues. Try Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Myth, or The Guns of Gettysburgas examples.

I've made a couple of mistakes, but I was at fault both times. My only critique is that they employ a "wall of text" in a couple of places, but everything is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are dead simple. The game play (once learned) is fast and flowing.

The game is excellent.

However, the rulebook as printed is poorly written, and organized. This makes initial learning, and later referencing of the rules more difficult than necessary.

There has been some errata for a few of the law cards, which can be found in the F.A.Q. in the file section of the game's page here on BGG. Which adds to the confusion.

Overall, this game is well worth owning/playing, so long as you can get past the problems with the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:

The game is excellent.

However, the rulebook as printed is poorly written, and organized. This makes initial learning, and later referencing of the rules more difficult than necessary.

There has been some errata for a few of the law cards, which can be found in the F.A.Q. in the file section of the game's page here on BGG. Which adds to the confusion.

Overall, this game is well worth owning/playing, so long as you can get past the problems with the rulebook.

Not trying to pick a fight, but weren't you referencing an outdated version of the rulebook in another thread or two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
jmathias wrote:

The game is excellent.

Not trying to pick a fight, but weren't you referencing an outdated version of the rulebook in another thread or two?

I was, but now I'm talking about the KS printed version. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
rickert wrote:
jmathias wrote:

The game is excellent.

I was, but now I'm talking about the KS printed version. Thanks!

OK. Just wanted to make sure because the rulebook you described didn't sound like mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted, "No, they're simple to understand even for dumb people like myself."

The rules are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
The ruleset is very, very simple, very light, and very easy to teach and learn.

The rulebook is the second worst rulebook I've ever read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:

Hah! Sounds like you just summed it up. It's amazing that sometimes you can have actual rules that are very simple, but rulebooks that just do a bad job of conveying those rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:

And yet over half of those [polled think the rulebook is fine, as do I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Khift wrote:

The rules are easy to understand, despite the poor rulebook. There are no major holes in the rules, but there is a lack of emphasis on important details and turn structure.

And I have seen at least this volume of rules clarifications following launch of pretty much every game, especially Kickstarter games where many copies arrive simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
rickert wrote:
Khift wrote:

The rules are easy to understand, despite the poor rulebook. There are no major holes in the rules, but there is a lack of emphasis on important details and turn structure.

And I have seen at least this volume of rules clarifications following launch of pretty much every game, especially Kickstarter games where many copies arrive simultaneously.

Okay, good to know. As I said, I'm hardly an expert. Thanks for the insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:

QFT.

There's a difference between bad rules and a bad rulebook. The rules itself for Viceroy are pretty straightforward and intuitive. The rulebook does a poor job laying them out in a way that people will understand how everything should play.

Personally, it took us three plays to get the rules right.

First time, we missed a few major things, especially receiving law cards at the beginning and being able to play down three cards during Development. We felt so bad about realizing our error halfway through the game that we stopped before the end and set up for a new game to fix the lack of law cards.

Second time, we played a mostly correct functional game, but were still missing the "play three cards" rule, and we continued to miss small but nice rule about gaining a gem when you complete a single-colored circle.

Third time, a few days of looking over the forums and re-reading the rulebook later, we played again and, to the best of my knowledge, got everything right.

Hopefully somebody on BGG does a rules rewrite, or hopefully from here on, people can mostly teach from their own experience, because learning from the book definitely requires patience.

...patience I feel is well-rewarded. It's rare we'll try to play a single game three times in a week (maybe four after tonight), and in the third game with all the rules right, the game absolutely came alive and was one of the most fun times I've had with a game in the past couple months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggest issue in the rulebook is a lack of sub-chapters, so your attention would be better drawn to details. In our first play we missed both rewards for completing a single colour circle, and on our first two plays we missed the proper fifth level procedure as well as the entire painting part with gems. I think all of these sections could use their own subheader, as the rulebook text is really quite dense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Shader10 wrote:
Biggest issue in the rulebook is a lack of sub-chapters, so your attention would be better drawn to details. In our first play we missed both rewards for completing a single colour circle, and on our first two plays we missed the proper fifth level procedure as well as the entire painting part with gems. I think all of these sections could use their own subheader, as the rulebook text is really quite dense.

I was teaching the game last night after not playing it for a while, and holy cow the fifth level stuff was frustrating. It's scattered out in three different places in the rules: one for not playing fifth level law cards, one for how much to pay to play a fifth level card and one for what rewards you get from playing a fifth level cards. The structure is probably fine for learning (perhaps better for learning than what I would propose), but it's difficult for reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.