Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark McKay
United States
Needles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had a question as to how the elect player cards work. Is it:

A) The player that chose the political strategy card gets to elect the player and then the everyone votes yes or no (with influence) to impose the card on them

B) Everyone gets 1 vote max to elect a player, the player with the most votes is elected. Then everyone votes yes or no (with influence) to impose the card on them.

C) Everyone votes (with influence) to elect a player, the player with the most votes is elected and the card is imposed on them.

D) Similar to C - where everyone votes (with influence) to elect a player, the player with the most votes is elected but then another vote takes place (yes or no) to impose the card on them.

Or maybe something else? I have been playing as option B in our first couple games but every time we play we question how it is to be done. I have been looking on the forums and saw some that made me question how we were doing this again. Maybe option A is the way so the player gets rewarded for choosing the political card.

Can you also give reference to the rules of where it explains this (errata included) if it does? I couldn't find anything that specifies this (which probably means it is a straight forward answer and I am just not seeing it )

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsrtlzrd32 wrote:
C) Everyone votes (with influence) to elect a player, the player with the most votes is elected and the card is imposed on them.

It's C. The cards tell you to elect a player, not to nominate and player and hold a plebiscite or to elect a player and then hold a plebiscite. Someone will be elected, and you're all candidates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McKay
United States
Needles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, I will play it that way from now on, thanks for clarifying.

I think the reason we did not play it that way is we were playing a 3 player game. I had control of the most planets (not by a huge amount as the game was still competitive) and could out influence both my opponents put together. I was also the Federation of sol, so I could use my strategic command counter to place 2 ground forces on a planet as an action. This allowed me to always have my planets unexhausted longer than them. It just seemed unfair at the time that I alone could determine the player to target every time we had an elect card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, note that any laws that say "Elect Two {things}" tally votes for PAIRS of things, you do not simply sum the totals each thing received independently.

Example: Elect Two Players

Player A votes for Players B and C with 3 votes.
Player B votes for Players D and C with 2 votes.
Player C votes for Players A and D with 2 votes.

The result is Players B and C, as that pair had the most votes, NOT players C and D, who had the most votes total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McKay
United States
Needles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve, I haven't played enough for elect two to come up yet, but I would have wondered how that worked exactly. Glad to know ahead of time so I won't have to look that up I get to play my first four player game (possibly 5 player if another friend can make it)! I can't wait, so far I have only been able to play 3 player games. Tough to find enough people to play in my area. I think that will help the political card be more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsrtlzrd32 wrote:
Ok, I will play it that way from now on, thanks for clarifying.

I think the reason we did not play it that way is we were playing a 3 player game. I had control of the most planets (not by a huge amount as the game was still competitive) and could out influence both my opponents put together. I was also the Federation of sol, so I could use my strategic command counter to place 2 ground forces on a planet as an action. This allowed me to always have my planets unexhausted longer than them. It just seemed unfair at the time that I alone could determine the player to target every time we had an elect card.

That is not a bug, that is the point. If you have more political power than the rest of the galaxy put together, the political system is your tool to use as you see fit. Make the best of it!

As for the delaying power: Yes, races that can spend CC for effect have a political and tactical advantage, but:
1) They still have to spend the CC's to do it. If you do that every round, it can become expensive.
2) If it is really important, other races are able to spend CCs to stall as well (just activate an unimportant system somewhere and do nothing). They just don't get the benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Pageau
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C is the correct way, however, the elect players are pretty much the first cards I took out of the political deck.

Playing with most rules of both expansions and some shattered ascension rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
dsrtlzrd32 wrote:

You had seized complete control of the political process; that should yield a benefit.

You get to place ground forces when you do it, but anyone can use a command counter to stall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:
Also, note that any laws that say "Elect Two {things}" tally votes for PAIRS of things, you do not simply sum the totals each thing received independently.

Example: Elect Two Players

Player A votes for Players B and C with 3 votes.
Player B votes for Players D and C with 2 votes.
Player C votes for Players A and D with 2 votes.

The result is Players B and C, as that pair had the most votes, NOT players C and D, who had the most votes total.

Why didn't Player D vote? (Maybe they were the Nekro? )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.