Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An earlier poster compared WFB miniatures to Battlore as being 'life points'.

In Warhammer Fantasy Battle, the miniatures aren't just life points. Kiling a miniature reduces the damage a unit can deal as well as its health. Also, the miniatures are important for line of sight and movement restrictions.

Of course, this doesn't make it worth 10 times as much as Battlelore just to get started!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Set-up and gameplay tip: Only set-up the Flag bearers. Each time a unit takes a hit, add a man to it (doesn't matter what sort of man, though I like to keep infantry and cavalry seperate). If a four man infantry or three horse cavalry takes a hit, it is dead.
One quickie alternative that I tried was just stacking the units on top of stacked poker chips (which keep their position nicely... and the taller units are obviously of higher integrity/strength).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Vasey
United States
Lincolnshire
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand all the people who are looking for "shortcuts" in this game (with regards to the number of minis on the table). Sure it takes a little longer to setup, but isn't part of the attraction of battlelore the visual impression of all the minis on the battlefield? Isn't that why they included hundreds of minis?

I can see people inventing house rules about decreading the damage done by units that have lost 50% or 75% of their troops, but why would you buy a game like this just to strip layers away?

Neil - your pokerchip idea is good for a game like Axis * Allies where the visuals are a little more abstract, and space is tight. But I don't understand why you would cover your beautiful BL board with $1 poker chips! Aren't you all missing the point? Please enlighten me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably missing the point to some degree. I should point out that all my games so far have been solitaire, first learning games with the rulebook scenarios then mostly playtesting some variant or other. A solo games player may care less about visual appeal than he might when playing with a human opponent...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore has only recently flashed up into the top 10 as many new games with lots of hype tend to do. I wouldn't use its current position to infer mass appeal. Right now the game is getting all the hard core CC system veterans who already know they love the design of this game and are going to rate it highly. Before it was even released or even shown at convention there were lots of 8+ ratings with comments like "I just know the game is going to rock and will adjust my rating when I play it", The "masses" have still not really bought it and rated it.

Being an early adopter for anything is a risky venture. Next time wait six months and let the errata list come out, the FAQ come out, an expansion come out, and some contrary reviews (like yours!) come out.

On a side note, the game is big on theme (an Ameritrash wonderland). It is meant for people who don't mind setting up huge armies (heck, many people like to just setup armies and look at them...from multiple angles...and then tear them down without playing a game) and it is meant for people who don't mind roleplaying dice results and twists of fate however they turn out. Wanting to use counters instead of minis and complaining about luck issues makes me think you are more of an abstract strategy fan rather than "the story of how the battle unfolded" type of fan. Get your easy profit off of Ebay now while people are still ravenous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
Roliander wrote:

Being an early adopter for anything is a risky venture.
How true and wise.

On the note of setup time and rule book:

Before my first game, I read the rule book up until the Creatures & Lore section. I spent afew hours bending (hot/cold water) the figures back and sorting them out into two plastic containers, one with dwarves and a set of all units, one with goblins and a set of all units.

During game, it took me about one minute to set the terrain. The terrain tiles were easier to set up than say in Memoir '44. Then, I set up the banners, instructing my friend to add the remaining figures using the other plastic container. It took about five minutes. And we were ready to roll.

Simple?

Teaching the game to new gamer is easy too. I just take the summary cards and go through one by one. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
simonjay77 wrote:

Neil - your pokerchip idea is good for a game like Axis * Allies where the visuals are a little more abstract, and space is tight. But I don't understand why you would cover your beautiful BL board with $1 poker chips! Aren't you all missing the point? Please enlighten me...
Part of the game's appeal to me is the theme and sure that gets imparted by seeing all the little dudes on the board but there are other times where I get annoyed by the lengthy set-up and just wish to get on with a quick game. And even bagging the units by banner type still results in 5 minutes of time wasted digging out miniatures and arranging them in packs.

For me, the extra figures on the board are occasionally a visual complication that is eradicated by reducing the unit groups to a single flag bearer but again, that's just a short-hand way to playing the game.

Another person could then ask the question: why on earth are you playing this game without fully painted miniatures and sculpted terrain? Aren't you sacrificing the real immersion into the game that way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Roliander wrote:
Wanting to use counters instead of minis ... makes me think you are more of an abstract strategy fan rather than "the story of how the battle unfolded" type of fan.
Well, not necessarily. I enjoy Twilight Imperium and War of the Ring for that very reason and yet I find the use of placeholder tokens in those games to be preferable in many situations (usually for space or clarity reasons).

Hell, I love tiny plastic toys far more than a person my age really should but occasionally I prefer the quickie/E-Z method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven colby
United States
mount laurel
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angry this is my first time playing c:c game. and after reading the rule book and doing the game in the order it was supposed to play it was alot of fun. i enjoyed it alot! its a fun game and my brother nad i have played several games. setup takes a bout 10 minutes with our ziplock baggies and tear down takes 5 minutes. well worth the hour of fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Travel BattleLore
I just heard DoW is going to publish "Travel BattleLore" in something like the old "pocketbox" format. Its going to have a small booklet of all the maps pre-printed in color (no cardboard hexes), and then die cut counters for all the standard bearers. Other units are just generic unmarked counters you stack underneath. The whole shebang looks like it can be setup on a cramped coffee-shop table. April 2007 MSRP: $15. I'm psyched! Sounds like you will be too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lewis
England
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'As to the "Attack" confusion and ordering, it does clearly state in the command card rules that you use cards to order units to move and/or battle. And, of course, the game doesn't call it an Attack Phase, it's called the Combat Phase, where the turn sequence says you "Battle one ordered unit at a time." I think if you just read throught the turn sequence on page 10, you should have a pretty good idea of what it means to order a unit'.

I still think this rule is a little confusing but clarified well by yourself, thankyou. Why use the term attack on one card and scout on another if they both basically mean the same with regards to combat.
Also command cards order units to move and/or battle which could mean it depends on which card you have ie scout or attack.
Incidentally the miniatures are out of scale with each other.
I think this is a great game oozing quality and would say with a little tweaking of the luck factor this would rate as the best game i have played in twenty years.
Merry christmas to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Vasey
United States
Lincolnshire
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually painting my minis right now... just took a break to see what's happening on the geek...

I guess we agree on one thing - Battlelore is awesome :-)

kakupacal wrote:
[q="simonjay77"]

Another person could then ask the question: why on earth are you playing this game without fully painted miniatures and sculpted terrain? Aren't you sacrificing the real immersion into the game that way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Benn
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk! LOL.

Seriously, why is it that only a few people have trouble with this game? Hmm... maybe it's not the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont understand the set up problems, sure its not game with instant set up and go, but we find that with two players, one person sets out the banner figures and the terrain, and the other fills up the units, job done in no time, and in fact this is the way that DOW suggests is the quickest set up method.

I am two thirds of the way through painting the units and this will also aid set up since troop types will be instantly recognisable.

I dont feel this game was overhyped, I got more than what I expected in the game, and as a newcomer to the commands and colours system was pleasantly surprised by the quality and number of components and the game plays like a dream, although I did follow the stepped scenario tutorial approach adding complexity with each scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mb
Roliander wrote:
BattleLore has only recently flashed up into the top 10 as many new games with lots of hype tend to do. I wouldn't use its current position to infer mass appeal. Right now the game is getting all the hard core CC system veterans who already know they love the design of this game and are going to rate it highly. Before it was even released or even shown at convention there were lots of 8+ ratings with comments like "I just know the game is going to rock and will adjust my rating when I play it", The "masses" have still not really bought it and rated it.
BattleLore has been out for about a month now since the quoted post was made. So far, well over 1000 people have given an average rating of 8.4 to this game. It's clear this game is no flash in the pan. It's the real deal, and it's here to stay. Bravo, Days of Wonder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |