Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragging the card up and down and to the sides is probably a pain in the butt. Additionally when one wants to move cells from the funding track ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't drag the cards at all. They all have context menu options to play directly into the discards, 1st plot, lapsing or out of play pile. And at the end of the turn I use the menu bar command that cleans up any cards that remain on the board boxes. The cards are drawn in their own hand window pressing the "Draw Card" buttons.

I only bring up the right side when I need to look at the charts, otherwise I can use the full screen for the whole board. Dragging cells and counters around the map is not an issue; the pen is very responsive and even under a zoom dragging near a border will move the screen view appropriately. Of the two buttons near the tip of the pen one functions as an instant right click providing easy access to the context menus of game components or for rapid movement across the map when you tap the screen.

I also don't need to drag cells to put them back into the funding track, they have a command to send them back automatically. The keyboard isn't really necessary while playing either. It allows me to set up nearly anywhere I would normally take a notebook with and takes up very little space.

It's a great way for me to play. I can pause at any time & put it away if I'm interrupted. Afterwards I pick up where I left quickly. Of course this may not be for everybody and I definitely prefer to play with my physical copy, but those opportunities are very few so this fits the bill for solitaire and PBEM play.

I see you're a Dune fan! Fantastic novels. One day I'll acquire the AH boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a program that's available somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
I only bring up the right side when I need to look at the charts, otherwise I can use the full screen for the whole board. Dragging cells and counters around the map is not an issue; the pen is very responsive and even under a zoom dragging near a border will move the screen view appropriately.

Lucky you, when I try to place cells/troops on my small netbook screen it is quite... unresponsive. Not sure if it might be because I run the Linux version but moving the clicked cursor with the cells under to the screen border does not (always) give the expected response... So I enjoy playing with my 2 screens at my Desktop computer.
I also discovered that my netbook has not enough processing power to load a Space Empires: 4X save game laugh

Quote:
It's a great way for me to play. I can pause at any time & put it away if I'm interrupted. Afterwards I pick up where I left quickly. Of course this may not be for everybody and I definitely prefer to play with my physical copy, but those opportunities are very few so this fits the bill for solitaire and PBEM play.

Yeah, I also play quite a few PBEM games these days. If you are ever free and want to play, leave me a message.
You might also be interested in the playtest version of the new expansion coming up: Labyrinth II.
You can find the new rules and even a new Vassal module here.

Quote:
I see you're a Dune fan! Fantastic novels. One day I'll acquire the AH boardgame.

With AH you mean Arkham Horror? Just checking, because then the two sentences are not really related The Dune boardgame is supposed to be really good. But hard to come by. A friend of mine owns a copy, still have to get him to play it one day with us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
Is this a program that's available somewhere?

It's VASSAL, which is the Java based program for running virtual boardgames, I'm not sure if you're familiar with it. The machine is a surface pro 3, so it has a pen and touchscreen.

One of the characteristics of Windows 8.1 is to split your screen to run applications side by side which I did here. VASSAL on the left, and the PDF reader on the right. This isn't a novel concept though. In Win 7 you do it by "snapping" each application to either the left or the right of the screen, it's just that in Win 8.1 the desktop itself is treated like an app you can "snap") so that's why there's a thick black (adjustable) bar in the middle. I usually use VASSAL full screen (more screen real-estate to see more of the board) but sometimes I split it when I'm consulting the game charts and rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
Lucky you, when I try to place cells/troops on my small netbook screen it is quite... unresponsive. Not sure if it might be because I run the Linux version but moving the clicked cursor with the cells under to the screen border does not (always) give the expected response... So I enjoy playing with my 2 screens at my Desktop computer.
I also discovered that my netbook has not enough processing power to load a Space Empires: 4X save game laugh

Ouch! unfortunate. The surface pro 3 definitely has the horsepower. I'm not sure if it's a linux version issue or a hardware issue. But they are making better hardware these days, so with time future experiences should get better.

Muad Dib wrote:
Yeah, I also play quite a few PBEM games these days. If you are ever free and want to play, leave me a message.
You might also be interested in the playtest version of the new expansion coming up: Labyrinth II.
You can find the new rules and even a new Vassal module here.

Thanks for both the offer and the link, I'll check it out (and when time becomes more available I'll send you a PM, it's summer so my wife and toddlers want to go outside and enjoy the sun as much as possible). My current oponent has pre-ordered Labyrinth II. I'm thinking about taking that plunge myself. I only recently started playing Labyrinth, it's quite good.

Muad Dib wrote:
With AH you mean Arkham Horror? Just checking, because then the two sentences are not really related The Dune boardgame is supposed to be really good. But hard to come by. A friend of mine owns a copy, still have to get him to play it one day with us!

By AH I meant Avalon Hill. It's just that Fantasy Flight Games made a re-theme called Rex which is supposed to be "like" Dune but set in their Twilight Imperium universe. So I wanted to be clear (yeah I failed) that I meant the Avalon Hill version of the Dune Boardgame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.