Monsterpocalypse» Forums » General

Subject: Non painted figures have become greasy / slimy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ryan oliver
msg tools
mbmbmb
Has anyone else experienced this?
Some back story, I just picked up a D.M.Z box of Guard and Martians at a garage sale. They were still in bags. As I opened up the figures I noticed any part that was not painted (Megas and some units) had a greasy feel to them and they smelled very plastic like.
I checked my old figures and the same has occurred to the other megas except those from the initial starter set.
Should I just wash the figures? Spray them with clear coat? Any suggestions would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ryan oliver
msg tools
mbmbmb
For those interested, I talked to a long time model builder and got his two cents on miniatures. He said the type of plastic/vinyl they were made out of might of had a mold releasing agent that was never washed off and over time had "burned" the top layer of plastic. The painted miniatures don't have this problem as no air has touched the surface.
I didn't get a solution just a probable cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin duda
United States
fremont
California
flag msg tools
I have this problem with all my ICNY monsters, but no others. I've tried a wash with soapy water (careful to not get water into the base to damage the card) to no avail. I might try an acetone dip/scrub but for now I just touch them as little as possible. Thinking about getting another case to try my luck (and extra monuments aren't a bad thing). I can turn the others into megas and quantums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest sealing these. Masking tape over the black base to cover the holes to the cards.

Spray a gloss sealer over the minis. After the gloss sealer dries, spray testors dull coat sealer. You can buy both of these products at any Hobby Lobby or Michael's craft store. Or on Amazon.com

If that doesn't resolve it, I would brush army painter dip or Miniwax dark walnut stain all over the figure. After you have covered the figure in the stain place the figure in the oven at 175 degrees for 60 minutes on an old baking sheet. Keep the oven door slightly open during this process. It will not damage the figure at all.

One of the above methods will likely resolve the sticky issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you spray a gloss coat and THEN a dullcoat?
Painting 101, page 1, states you should try avoid painting on a glossy surface if you want best possible adhesion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGamesOwn wrote:
Painting 101, page 1, states you should try avoid painting on a glossy surface if you want best possible adhesion.

You spray the figure with a gloss finish or two, then when completely dried you do a coat or two of a clear matte finish. The reason for doing this is simple, when the matte gloss finish wears off it reveals the shiny gloss finish underneath, this tells you when it's time to reapply the matte finish keeping your figures sealed and protected always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes zero sense.
The finish will last longer if it's on an abraded surface, or at least matte finish.
Most of these figs are already glossy so it's kinda pointless to cover them with a gloss coat, not only for the fact I stated but for your rationale. Your matte coat will have a better chance chemically bonding to the gloss plastic than a gloss paint..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean I've only been painting figures on and off for 40 years and know many people that paint minis that do that as well. But if you want to follow your "Painting 101" book, then go right ahead. I mean it's in a book so it has to be completely correct and the only way to do it. whistle

It's kind of like everything you read on the internet must be true or it wouldn't be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGamesOwn wrote:

Pretty conventional to spray with gloss first because gloss protects. Then spray with dullcote to return the miniature to matte.

"Sealer or varnish is, at the basic level, a clear solution of resin, oil or spirits used to protect a surface. It comes in gloss, semi-gloss or satin, and matte. Gloss provides the highest level of protection, while matte will make your figure look more realistic."

http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com/2010/03/hobby-word-on-seal-...
http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com/2010/06/hobby-word-on-seal-...

"using a combination of gloss and matte varnishes provides the best protection against "wear & tear". Out of the two, the gloss varnish provides a shiny and hard covering, the matte removes the shine from the gloss varnish returning the paint job back to a non-reflective covering."

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?50495

Dunno about OP's situation, though. Since it was back in 2015, hopefully, he's found an answer... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Allie
United States
Bolivar
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Was Geeky When Geeky Wasn't Cool
mbmbmbmbmb
Just chiming in to say that I also use a gloss sealer then dullcote on all my minis. Never had a problem, and I've even painted touchups over the dullcote and it stayed on just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djinniman wrote:
Just chiming in to say that I also use a gloss sealer then dullcote on all my minis. Never had a problem, and I've even painted touchups over the dullcote and it stayed on just fine.

^^ This is true, done it many times as well. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.