United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Hi all,

We've put the rulebook on Osprey's gaming resources page ahead of GenCon. You can find it here:
https://ospreypublishing.com/gaming-resources/

We'll have a dedicated board-game page a little closer to launch.

Duncan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
For someone who hasn't played König von Siam, could you outside the rule changes, if any, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mordred Variant is new, and the map has a new topology. Aside from that, the rules and cards are the same as King of Siam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
the map has a new topology

Though not as drastically different as I'd expected: it's still fairly similar. The main differences are that Yellow's home now touches only two provinces, Blue is not quite so isolated (it touches one that touches two, instead of touching one that touches one), and there's that province in the centre of the map that touches only two other provinces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I almost went through the trouble of building out a graph to better view the differences, but I got the same sense that it isn't terribly different.

That said, small differences in the map could be significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
The Mordred Variant is new, and the map has a new topology. Aside from that, the rules and cards are the same as King of Siam.

One change: You start with two random followers. That could be two of the same colour and players dont necessary have a different set from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we have 3 maps (king of siam, king of Saba, the king is dead) with little differences in rules (desert rules for Saba and random starting player cubes plus mordred rules for the king is dead) and disposition of locations. Do you feel that the game changes or it plays largely the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanelorn wrote:
Now we have 3 maps (king of siam, king of Saba, the king is dead) with little differences in rules (desert rules for Saba and random starting player cubes plus mordred rules for the king is dead) and disposition of locations. Do you feel that the game changes or it plays largely the same?

Depends. Due to the random setup it can be that the differences are highlighted or the opposite. The question is: Is the difference in a map bigger than the difference in two given game with a very different setup?
I would say yes.
Does it feel like you have to make completly different decisions? No. Its still King of Siam. I guess you would notice the diffenerences if you are a player who plays regulary KoS, but not if you play it once a year. The differences are certainly smaller than -say - between Carcassonne and Carcassonne Hunters & Gatherers.

The different distribution can make the first moves of a game more interesting. I feel that it can break up my ususal starting moves quite significantly. But I have a lot of games under my belt so I have something like "usual opening mnoves" ;-) It also depends of course, it could well be, that the cubes come out quite like the original KoS-Setup.

Mordred *does* add something to the game, which was not there before. But Mordred is not always in play (if his two main provinces are scored early he doesnt have any impact at all), but if he is, he certainly muddles the water.

As it hearts, its still the same game though. But were well into Carcassonne Hunbters & Gatehrewrs"-Territory here. Its for the fans who want to see something new, without giving up the original play.

TBS: I still hope it sells well enough so I can convince Osprey to make maps with new rules and new actions for the players. That would make a new game that would play as different as -say - the asia map of ticket to ride and the netherland map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your reply! I have the original king of siam and i homemade a king of Saba map and region tiles (but i use the original cubes, cards and markers so it's not much immersive and we rarely play the expansion). I was wondering if buying also this, i think so, especially now that i know that maybe more is coming if it is succesful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I suggest linking the PDF to the game page itself? Was on your site and thought I'd hit a dead end until I found this thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoever set up the game goes first.

First time I see this in a rulebook. And I like it! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.