Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Statue Aimed At Oklahoma or Arkansas Statehouse Lawns

The Detroit News reports that The Satanic Temple has chosen Detroit as the site to unveil its 9-foot tall bronze statute of the goat headed Baphomet-- a statue that it hopes to place next to an existing Ten Commandments monument on the Oklahoma state capitol grounds in Oklahoma City, or next to one on the Arkansas state capitol grounds in Little Rock. The original plans for the Oklahoma location have become less certain after the Oklahoma Supreme Court earlier this month ruled that the Ten Commandments monument must be removed. (See prior posting.) According to an interview with a Satanic Temple leader published in Wednesday's Detroit Metro Times, Detroit was chosen for the unveiling of the $100,000 sculpture because the city has a strong local chapter and is the location of The Satanic Temple's first chapter house.

Plans for the unveiling, however, have faced difficulties. The owner of the space in Detroit's Eastern Market district where the unveiling was originally planned backed out after a campaign against the statute by the pastor of Detroit's St. Matthew Baptist Church. Salon Magazine discusses at length the threats to destroy the statue posted on Facebook. So now the unveiling is scheduled for tomorrow at a location that will be revealed only to ticket holders through e-mail on the day of the event. The Satanic Temple's website-- though which tickets may be purchased-- extends an invitation reading in part:

The Satanic Temple invites you to join us for a night of chaos, noise, and debauchery at The Unveiling, a hedonistic celebration introducing the controversial Baphomet monument accompanied by provocative performances and installations.

Never before seen in public, The Satanic Temple Baphomet monument is already the most controversial and politically charged contemporary work of art in the world.... The event will serve as a call-to-arms from which we’ll kick off our largest fight to date in the name of individual rights to free exercise against self-serving theocrats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Do these people seriously believe in Baphomet? If so "we’ll kick off our largest fight to date in the name of individual rights to free exercise against self-serving theocrats." rings pretty hollow. Pot calling kettle wise.

On the other hand if they were seriously trying to make a point they would put up a statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Do I have a Ramen brothers and sisters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Which again undermines how some practice atheism. "There is no God...and I'm PISSED AT HIM! Here's my puny middle finger in your face, God, you non-existent cosmic fascist! RAGERAGE!"

Lots of energy spent on a supposed fable, in both that rage and this silly display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
tstone wrote:
Which again undermines how some practice atheism. "There is no God...and I'm PISSED AT HIM! Here's my puny middle finger in your face, God, you non-existent cosmic fascist! RAGERAGE!"

Lots of energy spent on a supposed fable, in both that rage and this silly display.

You can make a point about absurdity by being absurd but you can't when you aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
tstone wrote:

You can make a point about absurdity by being absurd but you can't when you aren't.

"When you aren't."

Aren't what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Gosh, Jon, as an "I-Hate-Religion!" atheist, one would expect you to be as upset about this as you are about any public expression of Christianity. Why aren't you?

Or perhaps it's just Christians you hate. Yeah, that's probably it.

Quote:
Do these people seriously believe in Baphomet? If so "we’ll kick off our largest fight to date in the name of individual rights to free exercise against self-serving theocrats" rings pretty hollow.

Yeah, kind of gives the game away, doesn't it?

Of course, for your statement here to make any sense you would have to show where I have shown upset about any public expression of Christianity in this forum. I have on occasion pointed out the goofier aspects of some specific Christian's thoughts or actions. I have never ever stated that they could not publicly express those thoughts. Try again, because this attempt was, as usual, an epic fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Do these people seriously believe in Baphomet? If so "we’ll kick off our largest fight to date in the name of individual rights to free exercise against self-serving theocrats." rings pretty hollow. Pot calling kettle wise.

On the other hand if they were seriously trying to make a point they would put up a statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Do I have a Ramen brothers and sisters!
Maybe not these people, but there are real Satanists (and that is ignoring the fact that Christians have claimed there are for 1000 years, you know belief in something for a long time makes it real).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
jonb wrote:
Of course, for your statement here to make any sense you would have to show where I have shown upset about any public expression of Christianity in this forum.

Jon, it's your raison d'être.

Well, saying it doesn't make it so. Proof would be nice. But that never has been your strong point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
you know belief in something for a long time makes it real.

Not actually true.
Really..........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
you know belief in something for a long time makes it real.

Not actually true.
Really..........

MUST. NOT. REACT. TO. ELLIPSIS! :robot:

Too late!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
jonb wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
jonb wrote:
Of course, for your statement here to make any sense you would have to show where I have shown upset about any public expression of Christianity in this forum.

Jon, it's your raison d'être.

Well, saying it doesn't make it so. Proof would be nice. But that never has been your strong point.

I was going to provide a list of all your threads, but RSP threads never appear in one's list of started threads for some reason.

But I guess we kind of know you have a reputation for rushing in to RSP to proclaim outrage at every little Christian thing that you believe infringes on the separation clause no matter how ridiculous the claim.

You have . . . what's the RSP phrase? A "rage-boner"? Put it away. It's alarming.

For some reason you have seemed very excited about these Satanic things, though.

Where have I proclaimed outrage against Christians by posting an informational story about the unveiling of a satanic statue. If you think posting a story about the unveiling of a satanic statue is proclaiming outrage at something Christian then you're not thinking straight. I can't help you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
tstone wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
tstone wrote:

"When you aren't."

Aren't what?

You can't protest a monument referring to a god by putting up one to your own god then say it's an in your face to "self serving theocrats". Once you put one up you are one of those "self serving theocrats". Begs back to my original question. Do they believe Baphomet is real?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Well, okay, Jon. We'll take you at your word that you're an equal opportunity religion-hater. Your history in RSP suggests otherwise. But I'll watch to make sure you unleash your fury at all religions. Even Satanism.

Sam sure seems excited about them here.

As long as you are going to allow one why not all? It's the 'Pascal's Wager" of statuary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Well, at least Satan is being revealed in a fitting location.

It's not fair to show a picture of one of the good neighborhoods!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually a really nice statue. They've designed it so you can sit on Baphomet's lap and have your photo taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Well, okay, Jon. We'll take you at your word that you're an equal opportunity religion-hater. Your history in RSP suggests otherwise. But I'll watch to make sure you unleash your fury at all religions. Even Satanism.

As long as you are going to allow one why not all? It's the 'Pascal's Wager" of statuary.

I'm just not convinced you'd be proclaiming "Go, Christians, Go!" if the subject was a statue of Jesus.

Convince me.

I think we would all love a Buddy Christ!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
$100,000 seems like a lot of money to spend just to be a trolling dickhead.

But not that much in the battle against religious oppression.

One good outcome is that many of the Christian Taliban have outed themselves by threatening to destroy it. Now the FBI can start files on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

One good outcome is that many of the Christian Taliban have outed themselves by threatening to destroy it. Now the FBI can start files on them.
Don't you mean ISIS? wanting to destroy monuments they find offensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I'm just not convinced you'd be proclaiming "Go, Christians, Go!" if the subject was a statue of Jesus.

Convince me.

There are crosses everywhere and I have never asked or demanded any of them be removed. Do I wish there were no religious displays on public property ? As long as they are small and tasteful and not in your face why not. I get this feeling that you think I want to ban all religions, I don't. I do think are better things they could be doing with their time though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

I think the Taliban did it first though and before them it was Christians chiseling penises off of sculptures. The extremists from various religions are quick to enforce God's will on material objects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
bjlillo wrote:

If they believe he's real they aren't "trolling dickheads" they are the faithful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

I think the Taliban did it first though and before them it was Christians chiseling penises off of sculptures. The extremists from various religions are quick to enforce God's will on material objects.
True, but I can recall "just liker ISIS" threads about lefties wanting to destroy monuments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Drew1365 wrote:

would you rather live their and have free will or be a kept citizen in eden~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Exactly. This image shows more of what satan is all about than a silly statue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Exactly. This image shows more of what satan is all about than a silly statue.

And just so we don't blame the wrong Satan worshipers, the picture should be of Wall Street. The people in the trenches of Detroit are just the victims of the Minions Of Mammon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.