Subject: Moving into besieged stronghold through a besieger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to move into a besieged stronghold to help an ally defending it, but the road I want to move into from is blocked by the besieger. Can I still move into the stronghold or do I have to fight the besieger on the open field?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to 6.4.1:

"The besieged Lord and his allies may move additional Troops directly into the besieged Stronghold or Fortified City from an adjacent Village without having to fight the Besiegers."

I don't see any restrictions on moving through the besiegers to go into the villages, only a restriction on leaving villages (5.0)

So I believe it is fine to join the fight along this path and go into the Stronghold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, the besieged (i.e. defender) can receive troops from adjacent villages whether they're his own or coming from one of his allies. He is disallowed from deploying newly purchased troops but does have the option of deploying new lords.

The besieger (i.e. attacker) is allowed to receive troops from adjacent villages as well, but also has the option of deploying new troops into the siege.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Barz
msg tools
Even though the rules state clearly that IS allowed to move troops directly in the fortified city or stronghold as said above, for me it makes no sense at all. Normally you have to ask for permission to pass an enemy's village with your troops, same applies for roads occupied or used in the same round by an enemy. A besieged stronghold is considered surrounded by its attacker. Hence there are no possibilities to enter this certain fortification at all from a realistic point of view (besides the secret passage). So tell me how could it be that troops "sneak" through the camp of a besieger to grant his ally assistance against the siege?
IMO there is no way and as a house rule we treat it the way just explained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
While it isn't explicitly detailed in the rules, a besieger no longer blocks a specific road (it just blocks exits from a village, nothing more). It might be easier if, when besieging, you move off the road and just stand next to a village.

Mechanically speaking, I think the reason you are "free to move into a besieged city/stronghold but not out" is just because the game wants to keep all battles down to a 1-on-1 roll of the dice regardless of how many participants are involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I AM Not A Number
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
While it isn't explicitly detailed in the rules, a besieger no longer blocks a specific road (it just blocks exits from a village, nothing more). It might be easier if, when besieging, you move off the road and just stand next to a village.

This has to be done systematically, even if there is no siege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from reading the rules, im confused as well for moving into it.
it seems the distinction is;
besieged player's troops adjacent to the besieged village can move directly into the stronghold/fortified city, while troops further away ie 2 or 3 moves away, cant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
from reading the rules, im confused as well for moving into it.
it seems the distinction is;
besieged player's troops adjacent to the besieged village can move directly into the stronghold/fortified city, while troops further away ie 2 or 3 moves away, cant?

I really have no idea where you're getting this interpretation from, care to elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, the rules on sieges say the besieged player can move troops into the stronghold/fortified city from an adjacent village

so troops further away cant move in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
well, the rules on sieges say the besieged player can move troops into the stronghold/fortified city from an adjacent village

Oh, no, I think that's just referring to the fact that before you can move into a village, you first have to be in an adjacent village. It's not a restriction on where you start the round at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

Oh, no, I think that's just referring to the fact that before you can move into a village, you first have to be in an adjacent village. It's not a restriction on where you start the round at.

difficult to tell if thats the correct interpretation, nothing indicates that version.

I find it weird that you could actually send help to the defenders of a besieged castle/city freely since technically you have to break through the siege lines to get there. the purpose of the siege is after all to "choke" the defender so they become weak and surrender

I saw the rule above as a restriction to represent the extra care/time needed to move into the place unseen/unhindered by the besiegers.

a proper rule could have been that any outside troops moving into it would be forced to fight at least one round of combat outside the castle/city(ie no penalty for besieger) and then can move into the place itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
difficult to tell if thats the correct interpretation, nothing indicates that version.

I don't know why one would interpret it any other way:

5.0 Movement wrote:
Movement is along the roads from Village to Village. Moving from
one Village to an adjacent Village is considered one Move.

6.4.1 Siege Effects wrote:
• The besieged Lord and his allies may move additional
Troops directly into the besieged Stronghold or Fortified City
from an adjacent Village without having to fight the Besiegers.

The only way I would interpret that as "started the round adjacent" would be if it specifically stated as such, otherwise you're adding things that aren't there. As it is, it's just restating the standard Movement rules. Of course, as with everything in this rulebook, I have to take everything with a grain of salt, as there appears to be many "rules" that aren't actually in it.

Quote:
I find it weird that you could actually send help to the defenders of a besieged castle/city freely since technically you have to break through the siege lines to get there.

I saw the rule above as a restriction to represent the extra care/time needed to move into the place unseen/unhindered by the besiegers.

a proper rule could have been that any outside troops moving into it would be forced to fight at least one round of combat outside the castle/city(ie no penalty for besieger) and then can move into the place itself.

I agree, and plan on adding something to that effect in my own variant (though it would probably require a Cavalcade, or Secret Passage card), as well as add some clarification regarding sieges and allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.