Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a session report chronicling a play through with my modified Space Hulk game. The game is still required for play.

Approaching LV-426, the colonial marines, led by Corporal Hicks, hastily made a final check of their weapons and secured cameras and gear. They would have to make it through four very rough areas and kill the queen in the hive: The Access Ramp, Sub Level 2, The Hive and finally, the Lair.

The marines got into formation and quickly made their way through the access ramp, encountering little difficulty. They encountered xenomorphs in the ventilation shaft and had to root them out of the dark corridors, but there were no casualties on the ramp.

The second level was even easier as the marines entered the elevator in a hurry, aliens closing in quickly, and exited down to the hive before any damage could be done.

When the doors opened, however, things took a decidedly bad turn for the formation. Frost and Weirzbowski were the first to go. Aliens swarmed both positions and they couldn't stand up the the overwhelming numbers. The remaining marines fought through a series of difficult events before the aliens cornered and killed both Hudson and Crowe. The numbers were dwindling quickly and they still had a ways to go.

Risking their own lives a number of times, Spunkmeyer and Hicks, the only two remaining marines left, activated a number of charges in the hive to clear out the aliens and gain access to the Queen's lair.

Hicks was able to dodge the first swarm of aliens and trap them in an area where they wouldn't be able to attack for a short time. It still left the queen, who seemed to be in two places at once, to deal with.

Spunkmeyer held out as long as he could, but the queen and her swarm were too much for the marine and he died screaming in a pool of blood and acid. It was up to Hicks to complete the mission.

Hicks took out half of the queen (one of the two cards), but the swarm of aliens regrouped and the numbers became insurmountable. Hicks managed to kill a few more before the aliens simply overwhelmed his position and killed him. The fought valiantly and nearly cleared the lair, but in the end, the queen and her brood continue to inhabit LV-426.

The events that took place during the mission:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vranes
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredibly cool. Has anyone gotten...upset...by the reskin? Just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
svranes wrote:

I am upset! I am upset because I cannot buy this!

Sure there is Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game and I am in my way to getting that, but I also own SHDA and love it. An Aliens skin for that is a dream come true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vranes
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both (and will pick up Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game when available in August). I definitely recommend both!

And, of course, there's always Space Hulk (fourth edition)...

Anyone know if the AVP game will be any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
dophin26 wrote:
Hicks managed to kill a few more before the aliens simply overwhelmed his position and killed him. The fought valiantly and nearly cleared the lair, but in the end, the queen and her brood continue to inhabit LV-426.

You forgot to add

'Game over, man! Game over!'

Seriously tho, this looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
svranes wrote:

No one is officially upset that I know of. The cards aren't for sale (although I still have them digitally), so it's really just a personal project. FFG should be fine with it as you still need Space Hulk to play it (tokens, die, rules). I like Space Hulk: DA and love Aliens, so it was a pretty natural pairing. They came out a shade darker than I thought they'd print, but other than that, they work great.

It definitely wasn't cost effective to print. It was two decks and twice what Space Hulk Death Angel was to purchase. As I know very little about Space Hulk and a lot about Aliens, it is the edition I'll be playing from now on though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vranes
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dophin26 wrote:
svranes wrote:

No one is officially upset that I know of. The cards aren't for sale (although I still have them digitally), so it's really just a personal project. FFG should be fine with it as you still need Space Hulk to play it (tokens, die, rules). I like Space Hulk: DA and love Aliens, so it was a pretty natural pairing. They came out a shade darker than I thought they'd print, but other than that, they work great.

It definitely wasn't cost effective to print. It was two decks and twice what Space Hulk Death Angel was to purchase. As I know very little about Space Hulk and a lot about Aliens, it is the edition I'll be playing from now on though.

Would you be willing to share the digital file? I'd be interested. Don't want to be a complete sponge, though.

Either way, looks great. Absolutely great. Kudos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dophin26 wrote:
It definitely wasn't cost effective to print. It was two decks and twice what Space Hulk Death Angel was to purchase.

This will probably be a surprise to those who don't make PnP games. With bulk printing savings by the publisher etc, it's almost always cheaper for consumers to buy the game than it is to try and build a quality PnP version.

People who put effort and money into PnP games/reskins do so for the love of the game/theme rather than in an attempt to get a cheap game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherm jerico
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
wondering if anyone can help me with a copy of the digital files?

Dolphin has pointed me in the direction of artcow, but since living in Australia makes the print cost at around $100, its a bit out of range

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.