Subject: Shorter game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
This is not exactly rocket science but we have tweaked the default room set up a few times to give us a somewhat shorter game.

At the moment we are using Level 0, Level 1, Shop, Level 2, Healer, Catacomb Lord.

The normal set up seemed to be a bit of a grind for us and people were losing interest before the end. Having the healer right before the boss also eliminated complaints about the gold from the last level 2 room being wasted.

I'd encourage anyone who is finding the game too long, too short, too hard or too easy just to tweak the mix of rooms until you find the ideal set up for your own players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Scheuber
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catacombs is for me a sandbox game done right. In Catacombs the rules are made very clear still there is enough room to build the game you want with it. An undead horde campaign? Go ahead. A labyrinth style grid map of rooms? Why not... There is enough stuff to build the dungeon you want.

I like your set up, by the way. Gonna try that next time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I was thinking about trying a "boss only" fight where you really only have about 15 minutes or so. You half all the Heroes' life values and let them all choose one item (randomly remove half the Wizard spell book too). Then just set up the last room with a Catacomb Lord and see if you can win. Catacomb Lord might need to be random or unknown to the heroes so they can't just create a hard counter situation.

For more "Boss only" options, Start everyone full health and let them each choose one item. Play one Catacomb Lord room. If they win, keep everything, give the team one item choice (for the whole group) and hit another Catacomb Lord room (no healing) and keep going until the heroes die to see how many rooms you can get through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Scheuber
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:
I was thinking about trying a "boss only" fight where you really only have about 15 minutes or so. You half all the Heroes' life values and let them all choose one item (randomly remove half the Wizard spell book too). Then just set up the last room with a Catacomb Lord and see if you can win. Catacomb Lord might need to be random or unknown to the heroes so they can't just create a hard counter situation.

For more "Boss only" options, Start everyone full health and let them each choose one item. Play one Catacomb Lord room. If they win, keep everything, give the team one item choice (for the whole group) and hit another Catacomb Lord room (no healing) and keep going until the heroes die to see how many rooms you can get through.

Ha, a boss rush mode, great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
Today we played Level 1, Shop, Healer, Catacomb Lord. It took ~60 minutes.
It was a fair game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.