Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is making so many think that their copies will sell for $100+ now that the third edition has been announced, there's more and more each day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care about the prices but I don't think the 3rd edition will replace or overcome the 2nd, hence the "real" FoD is still OOP.

This might be bold but IMO the difference might turn out to be as huge as between Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror.

And the graphics do not look as climactic and dynamic/furious as in 2nd ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my mint condition 2nd edition FoD for 15$ around 6 months ago...I had no idea there was such a demand for it. Doh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snorman wrote:
I sold my mint condition 2nd edition FoD for 15$ around 6 months ago...I had no idea there was such a demand for it. Doh!

I'll give you $20 for your copy of Defenders of the Realm and I'll throw in another $5 for all of the expansions .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dannte wrote:
I don't care about the prices but I don't think the 3rd edition will replace or overcome the 2nd, hence the "real" FoD is still OOP.

This might be bold but IMO the difference might turn out to be as huge as between Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror.

Doubt the changes will be that huge. AH and EH are different games after all not just a new version as this is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsc19702 wrote:
dannte wrote:

Doubt the changes will be that huge. AH and EH are different games after all not just a new version as this is.

I also doubt it. Looks rather like they improved on certain areas of the game that made it a bit fiddly (like replacing the counters for Dracula with cards) and some streamlining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gong
United States
Kingsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect it will be as "different" as the other reprints of Merchant of Venus, Mission: Red Planet, and A Study in Emerald. Some slight differences but at the end of the day, it's not the end of the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cockrell
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm stoked about this news. I sold my 2nd ed. copy a few months back because I just couldn't handle the idea of it getting nuked from orbit by a friend on accident and then not being able to get a replacement. With this news I can grab up a copy and not worry about it being shelved at a Uni. Plus, I can take it to game nights at my club and really not bite my nails while introducing folks to the amazing world of board games beyond Trivial Pursuit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorfinger wrote:
I'm stoked about this news. I sold my 2nd ed. copy a few months back...

As the person who purchased your copy, I am less than pleased with the timing. I waited years for FFG to get off their asses and reprint this game and, when I finally gave up, they announce the reprint like 2 months later. I just can't win!

Well, at least the 2nd edition cover art is superior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cockrell
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Gorfinger wrote:

As the person who purchased your copy, I am less than pleased with the timing. I waited years for FFG to get off their asses and reprint this game and, when I finally gave up, they announce the reprint like 2 months later. I just can't win!

Yea, that was the second thing that went through my mind was *shoot, well I feel horrible for Ed but, at least if it bombs he has the guaranteed edition!*

Not really at good trade off in that regards BUT, think of it this way, all that money went to my schooling since they increased the prices of Tuition over the summer! Thanks for helping me buy 1 book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Gorfinger wrote:

I feel your pain, I got mine a little over a week and a half ago, and I paid more than I should have for it. I had 2 reasons for this, 1) at this point I figured they'd never reprint it (or at least not for another year or so after I bought it) and 2) (the main reason I was willing to overpay) I wanted to have it to play with some friends before I moved today. It wasn't a total loss, I did get 2 games in with friends before I left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
So far Im far from convinced 3rd is going to be a superior version, in fact it looks like a downstep.
That being said I don't have a lot to go on so time will reveal all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
Roswell
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
This explains the surge of people selling there copies on ebay :S I have seen more copies for sale the last 24 hours then the past 2 years lol. I am just glad I can afford to pick up a copy now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MCollier wrote:
What is making so many think that their copies will sell for $100+ now that the third edition has been announced, there's more and more each day

for the low price of...... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
Roswell
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
you can pick up a copy for 50 to 100 dollars now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After going back and watching Rahdo's run through and final thoughts on the 2nd edition and looking over what we know of the 3rd edition. I think the game play of the 3rd edition is going to be superior. It looks like they really went over the game and removed much of the fiddlyness and things that really didn't bring much to the game play other than add more complexity. I'm hoping this might speed the game up a little bit as well. Even if they can shave 15 to 30 minutes off of the play time I feel that would be an improvement. Of course this is just an assumption until the game comes out and we really get to see.

I do agree the 2nd ed. Box art is better thought. I'm glad I never broke down an bought a copy. There were plenty of times I came very close to doing so and was either out bid or changed my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if people are still willing to pay it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's okay, I'm
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh man, that second edition was one long, super slow ass game. It was way too long for what was going on in it. You couldn't drag me with horses to play second edition. It was 50% fun 50% abject tedium. Hopefully they kept the correct 50%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
FoD is "fiddly" now?
Boardgamers just aint what they use to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not a real person wrote:
It was 50% fun 50% abject tedium. Hopefully they kept the correct 50%

Yep, that is the question. I think the "fan edition" modified version here did a great job of identifying the problem areas and offering some solutions. It seems that 3rd Edition has made changes in at least some of those areas.

Problems of FoD 2nd Ed IMHO was a few cards that overly randomized the game, a combat system that was not intuitive (the mechanic seemed sound, but difficult to wrap your head around the card interactions, and then still too dependent on the die roll). For a long game, the outcome could be swung too easily on one card draw or die roll.

I do have high hopes for the "rumors" (false leads) addition to Dracula's arsenal of tricks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiger Mermidon
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! a lot of Fury of Dracula popping up on Ebay. There is even one for $250 used. Seriously!? I'm very glad 3rd edition in on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.