Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Corran Horn Mirror Match rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of running Corran Horn with VI this weekend in a tournament. From what I've seen there are many other people also bringing him, though most fly him with PTL.

If two Corran Horn's are facing each other and they both want to use their ability to attack in the end phase and one is PS10 and the other is PS8, should the PS10 fire first and then resolve before the PS8 fires, or should it be treated as simultaneous fire with the player with initiative firing first?

The FAQ says that it should be resolved in initiative order, but I'm guessing they are assuming that the two Corran Horns are the same PS. If the 2 Corran Horn's are not the same PS, then should it be resolved differently?

Thoughts?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
I'm thinking of running Corran Horn with VI this weekend in a tournament. From what I've seen there are many other people also bringing him, though most fly him with PTL.

If two Corran Horn's are facing each other and they both want to use their ability to attack in the end phase and one is PS10 and the other is PS8, should the PS10 fire first and then resolve before the PS8 fires, or should it be treated as simultaneous fire with the player with initiative firing first?

The FAQ says that it should be resolved in initiative order, but I'm guessing they are assuming that the two Corran Horns are the same PS. If the 2 Corran Horn's are not the same PS, then should it be resolved differently?

Thoughts?


I have never come up against this problem, despite playing a lot of Corran mirror matches, but with rules as written you would have to do it in initiative order regardless of PS.

However, the whole "in initiative order" language would seem to suggest that resolving Corran Horn's timing is the same as resolving the game's other phases - ie. Pilot Skill is the considered first, then initiative. Seems like the FAQ could include this.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Tampa Bay Area
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had this happen on Tuesday, though it did not matter with the outcome. We treated it as the higher pilot skill firing first (which was my opponent) rather than initiative (me). His Corran whiffed on mine, then mine took his out of the game. It was pretty back-breaking for him, actually, and since it was in the second round of combat, it was one of those moments I kind of felt bad for it.

I don't know that we did that right, but if felt right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... Wonder if the simultaneous fire rule would apply if the first Corran took out the second. The rule refers to situations where ships of the same PS haven't fired yet... but here, during the end phase, you could have a PS10 Corran waiting on a PS8 Corran w/ initiative... so not the same PS at all. Strictly by the rules, the PS10 Corran might not get a chance to return fire (?).

*edit* Nevermind. Should have checked the FAQ before posting, as this is already addressed. Simultaneous Corran happens regardless of PS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how it's worded in the FAQ:

Quote:
If both players field Corran Horn, the player with initiative chooses first whether or not to resolve his ability and attack. If the second Corran Horn is destroyed by this attack, do not remove him from the play area. He still has the opportunity to resolve his ability this round before he is removed.


Nothing about PS at all. It's irrelevant, because you're not in Activation or Combat. And by the rules, abilities -- which Corran's extra attack is -- resole in initiative order.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
This is how it's worded in the FAQ:

Quote:
If both players field Corran Horn, the player with initiative chooses first whether or not to resolve his ability and attack. If the second Corran Horn is destroyed by this attack, do not remove him from the play area. He still has the opportunity to resolve his ability this round before he is removed.


Nothing about PS at all. It's irrelevant, because you're not in Activation or Combat. And by the rules, abilities -- which Corran's extra attack is -- resole in initiative order.


Decloaking is also an ability, and it resolves in PS Order according to the FAQ. I have no argument with your interpretation of the FAQ, and I agree that is the way it needs to should be played, until there is a clarification. I'm just thinking there should be a clarification.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We only do decloaking in PS order because the new version of that ability in the FAQ says we do.

Corran does not mention PS, so PS does not matter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Decloaking also takes place in the Activation phase, which is specifically governed by PS order.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Alexander
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
Decloaking also takes place in the Activation phase, which is specifically governed by PS order.

Activating ships is done in (reverse) PS order. Decloaking has nothing to do with activation anymore.

Effects that are triggered by something happening or a phase beginning or ending -- which is how decloaking works now -- are normally done in initiative order. Decloaking is an exception, by deliberate wording.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the FAQ errata-ed the card to read:

At the start of the Activation phase, after players have resolved all other abilities that trigger at the start of the Activation phase, each ship may spend a cloak token to decloak, starting with the ship with the lowest pilot skill (using initiative to break ties).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
This is how it's worded in the FAQ:

Quote:
If both players field Corran Horn, the player with initiative chooses first whether or not to resolve his ability and attack. If the second Corran Horn is destroyed by this attack, do not remove him from the play area. He still has the opportunity to resolve his ability this round before he is removed.


Nothing about PS at all. It's irrelevant, because you're not in Activation or Combat. And by the rules, abilities -- which Corran's extra attack is -- resole in initiative order.


This essentially leaves it as comparable to simultaneous fire and kill shots that would occur during regular combat.

The important thing to remember is that if both Corrans are alive going into the End Phase, they're both double-tapping "at the same time", you just resolve it in initiative order which matters for subtle things like token expenditures.

Of course the intent of this post is to make sure you understand how this plays out when 2 Corrans decide to joust and both are left standing going into the End Phase.

I would always recommend that rather than go for Mutually Assured Destruction on that front, that you set up a good kill shot on the other Corran so it doesn't come to that.

I have some experience on that specific topic, and it's entirely game-changing if you can walk away with yours still on the board before the End Phase even comes up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.