Popular Tags: [View All]
Frock Lobster
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the Shut Up and Sit Down review and have read some reviews on here as well. I love love love Crusader Kings 2 and this seems like the boardgame version of it. I'm very intrigued. But, that playing time... I just don't think that my regular gaming crew will get into it.

Anyone have suggestions for games that might be "Fief Lite?"

The bits I like are the alliances, the marriages, the overlapping areas of influence and negotiation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What playing time are you willing to tolerate? This is probably a 2 hour game, that can stretch if people made deals to stay alive. But I don't see a game with this much depth getting down to 60-90min.

Go for Cosmic Encounter instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you have one person who has a good grasp of the rules, the game can go pretty quickly. But the playing time is pretty variable - it could easily go 90 minutes, or 3 hours, depending on how people play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hardest rules to grasp are for sure those concerning the King and Pope's elections. Remove those two titles from your first games (thus removing the Queen and Prince titles as well). Do not use any material from the expansions or from the extra rules shown at the end of the rulebook (fog of war/relics). Play exactly with 4 players. Label some of the cards so that the players know what they are.

Apart from that I can't think of anything else you can remove that would not impair the game and make it significantly easy. Maybe you could remove cavalcades and prisoners or if you want to make the game shorter you may remove the disease cards so that your lords have some more chances to stay alive, but I would not recommend this.

With these recommendatios your first games should last near 2.5 hours.

Once your group has played some games and know the rules stick to the normal fief with all the titles and as many players as you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Henrique
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrockLobster wrote:

Anyone have suggestions for games that might be "Fief Lite?"

The bits I like are the alliances, the marriages, the overlapping areas of influence and negotiation.

Try In the Shadow of the Emperor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I AM Not A Number
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an idea ...
In order to shorten the begining of the game, you could also distribute all the villages by putting one men-at-arms of a random player, or alternatively each player in turn selects a village and puts one men-at-arms. And then start the game normally : each player in turn puts a stronghold, one knight and 3 men-at-arms.
Not tested yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frock Lobster
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iamnan wrote:
Just an idea ...
In order to shorten the begining of the game, you could also distribute all the villages by putting one men-at-arms of a random player, or alternatively each player in turn selects a village and puts one men-at-arms. And then start the game normally : each player in turn puts a stronghold, one knight and 3 men-at-arms.
Not tested yet.

This is an interesting idea. House-ruling a "quick-start" variant seems like it would help with the play time. Would it break the game to also start with an extra Lord? I'm not above "hacking" the game to let me get at the good stuff... devil

eurofabio wrote:

Thanks, I will check it out!

al_fredo wrote:
Go for Cosmic Encounter instead.

Already play it, already love it, want some sweet medieval intrigue instead.

Soul_Guile wrote:
The hardest rules to grasp are for sure those concerning the King and Pope's elections..

For some reason, the rules feel very straightforward and understandable to me, even the elections. Maybe because I'm used to trying to parse the intricacies of "gavelkind" and other types of succession modeled in Crusader Kings 2, among other things. It makes Fief seem like algebra compared to CK2's calculus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.