Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: Greater Than 8 Influence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, often times while playing this game, some country in Europe will become hotly contested. East and West Germany seem to be common targets for us. However, since so much of the game we cannot coup or make realignment rolls in Europe, that basically just leaves us with pumping influence into them, trying to maintain control. That means influence in these countries can easily get above 8, which is the highest counter the game comes with. I've seen it get as high as 14.

So, my question is, is this normal? Should a single country be getting that much influence? Is this just poor strategy on our part? If it is normal, how do you normally mark influence there? We've been putting two counters there to represent the inflated number.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I routinely see this...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woods
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that if one player is willing to pay the 2op cost to break control that they will eventually lose that battle. Its about using ops efficiently.

If they're consistently using 3ops to only gain 2 (or 4ops for 3) influence that its easy enough to stay ahead of that fight, plus put ops in other countries. Its a winnable fight for whoever has control, even if you have a worse hand, you can probably keep ahead until the next turn.

I've had games where influence gets up into the 8-10 range, but as I've grown more experienced, that doesn't happen as much anymore.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
Avatar
mb
s3kt0r wrote:
That means influence in these countries can easily get above 8, which is the highest counter the game comes with. I've seen it get as high as 14.


I've seen a 14/12 Thailand hit by Brush War turn into 26/0 or something to that tune.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:
That means influence in these countries can easily get above 8, which is the highest counter the game comes with. I've seen it get as high as 14.


I've seen a 14/12 Thailand hit by Brush War turn into 26/0 or something to that tune.


I can probably coup that back to even....right??? whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. Thanks everybody. I guess it just felt weird for numbers to go so much higher than the highest number on the counters, as if it wasn't meant to be. I was worried we might be doing something wrong.

Thanks for the feedback.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
Avatar
mb
KingD21 wrote:
turbothy wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:
That means influence in these countries can easily get above 8, which is the highest counter the game comes with. I've seen it get as high as 14.


I've seen a 14/12 Thailand hit by Brush War turn into 26/0 or something to that tune.


I can probably coup that back to even....right??? whistle


A couple of realignments should do the trick ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:
That means influence in these countries can easily get above 8, which is the highest counter the game comes with. I've seen it get as high as 14.


I've seen a 14/12 Thailand hit by Brush War turn into 26/0 or something to that tune.


That's okay. It'll only take 53 CPs to get it back by placing influence.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
My playstyle avoids ops wars, so they are very uncommon in my games. But others seem to prefer them more. If both players have a preference towards ops wars, they are clearly going to be a lot more common.

I'm inclined to say that in most cases, they're not the optimal way to spend ops. Only very rarely will you actually be forced to, Europe Control probably the clearest example.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
I remember watching a game where a 28/24 West Germany got hit by Blockade, thereby conceding Europe control. The US player commented "I always forget about that card" and left the (virtual) room.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Harding wrote:
I remember watching a game where a 28/24 West Germany got hit by Blockade, thereby conceding Europe control. The US player commented "I always forget about that card" and left the (virtual) room.


I'll bet he never forgets about it now.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Spiker
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
Tubesteak wrote:
I've found that if one player is willing to pay the 2op cost to break control that they will eventually lose that battle. Its about using ops efficiently.

If they're consistently using 3ops to only gain 2 (or 4ops for 3) influence that its easy enough to stay ahead of that fight, plus put ops in other countries. Its a winnable fight for whoever has control, even if you have a worse hand, you can probably keep ahead until the next turn.

I've had games where influence gets up into the 8-10 range, but as I've grown more experienced, that doesn't happen as much anymore.


If I'm in a dominant position, or if I'm leading in a region I know they hold the scoring card in, I will absolutely engage in an "inefficient" ops war for a battleground somewhere else just to engage them and make them use their ops and potentially play their bad cards. It's all about keeping the pressure on them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.