Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New Table Top Gamer Looking for Suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Hello I am new to table top gaming. I recently got into the hobby to get away from video games and into something more social. Currently I only have my fiancee and best friend to play games with, so that is 3 of us total. However more often it tends to be just my fiancee and myself playing.

I have a huge list of games I want to get, mostly those seen on YouTube's Table Top show. However what I have now is Lords of Water Deep, Pandemic, Zombie Dice, Talisman and Mice and Mystics.

My fiancee and I love all of those games but Nice and Mystics is our favorite. We also have Dunegons on the way and I plan on getting Star Wars Armada next game.

All of that said, what kind of suggestions do you guys have for people who love Mice and Mystics and that is 2 person friendly? Also 2 plus player suggestions are welcomed too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you like about Mice and Mystics.

If you like the idea of working together with the other players, you should look at Co-operative Play games. A good beginner game is Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert, or for a slightly more advanced game (that I think is better) try Pandemic. These work well with two.

If you like the story aspect of Mice and Mystics, perhaps try Tales of the Arabian Nights or Agents of SMERSH. I would suggest Star Wars: Imperial Assault, but it sounds like you will already be getting it.

More games combine the storytelling aspect of Mice and Mystics and Co-operative play, but some of them are more complicated. Eldritch Horror is great, but it would be best to have someone help teach you the rules, since it is pretty complicated. I am interested in getting Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients or Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death for the story and co-op play, but I have not played it so I don't know how easy/hard it is to learn.

Another game that is very different in style but works well with two and three players is Splendor. I recommend this to new players since I love it, and it is fairly easy. It is different in style to the other games you have mentioned, but it would be a good (and inexpensive) way to see if you really just want the story games or if you enjoy other styles of games as well.

I hope you have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
What we like about Mice and Mystics is... Well everything. We like the story, my fiancee thinks it's cute, I like the minitures and getting to paint them and the mechanics are simple enough that you could teach a kid to play, but not over simple that it's boring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Vonderwalde
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you like the Worker Placement mechanic from Lords of Waterdeep, I might suggest checking out Targi. It's a 2 player game that plays in about 1 hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
John covered the coop scene quite nicely, imo. I could throw out other suggestions, but they'd be competitive. Sometimes I think less is more in these recommendation threads, so I'll stay mum unless requested.

Also, for the vets, we need to keep this thread bookmarked the next time sometime wants to throw Wil Wheaton to the dogs. Nice to see Tabletop bringing new fans to the hobby and BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mawilson4 wrote:
John covered the coop scene quite nicely, imo. I could throw out other suggestions, but they'd be competitive. Sometimes I think less is more in these recommendation threads, so I'll stay mum unless requested.

Also, for the vets, we need to keep this thread bookmarked the next time sometime wants to throw Wil Wheaton to the dogs. Nice to see Tabletop bringing new fans to the hobby and BGG.

Thank you for the welcome, I'll give all these games a thorugho look at for sure!

I have actually been lurking around here for a but and have noticed some Table Top hate. But being a semi fan of The Guild, when Geek and Sundry started I watched (thought I admit I don't like all of their shows) pretty much everything they put out.

Table Top is 100% why I got into board games. Honestly before that show if you asked me about board games I'd tell you I wasn't a big fan of chess or monopoly. I never knew such a market of games existed that even a veteran video games like myself could enjoy.

Also it took me forever to figure out Wil Wheaton was Wesley Crusher from Star Trek lol. I just knew him as that dude who played Felicias boyfriend in The Guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best new gamer tip I could give is - don't limit yourself to only games ranked in the top 100, as that is an easy trap to fall into. There are so many good games nowadays, even games ranked in the four digit range can be fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh J
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I mainly play with my fiancee too, and we're both pretty new. The collection is limited at this point.

Some things we enjoy are:

Dominion
Forbidden Island
The Castles of Burgundy
Mr. Jack
Star Realms

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Ha. Cool cool. And yeah, there's a whole new generation that knows nothing of Wil's Star Trek days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Coppaway
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
It may not be what your looking for but you should check into Carcassone and Lost Cities. My wife and I really enjoy these 2. We have also been looking into Agricola all creatures big and small.

Also check these lists out:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/67262/near-perfect-2-play...

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164769/best-two-player-hu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn on Wil Wheaton.

He was such a great protagonist in Stand By Me... but he's such a great villain now (interpret the last part as you will).

Credit where credit is due, he got me and many others into the hobby. I still watch and mostly enjoy Tabletop but I find Rahdo, Dicetower and Shut Up and Sit Down get most of my board game attention/ get me to buy new games that they play.

Best two player (casual)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3J2p6vc_5A

Best two player (strategic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnZM2oDBqrg

Splendor has always gone over well with people I've introduced it to (mostly non-gamers). They've also loved Sushi Go! and Forbidden Desert.

In the Mice and Mystics vein of campaign story with miniatures, (plus since you clearly like Star Wars) Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Specter Ops, Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you take a look at Arcadia Quest, nice mini's, sort of a storyline, but very competitive.

And perhaps Legends of Andor. I like the story, but it's a bit more like a puzzle than a game. (Hard to explain.) But coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Thank you guys for all the suggestions, I defiantly have a lot here to keep me busy for a few months at the least.

Jimmydm90 wrote:
I still watch and mostly enjoy Tabletop but I find Rahdo, Dicetower and Shut Up and Sit Down get most of my board game attention/ get me to buy new games that they play

I like Rahdo, my only criticism with him is that sometimes I feel he is trying to hard to play to win. I just want to see how a game plays and I've seen videos where he just can't decide what to do and in a few cases scraps a whole turn, which took the whole video to do, because it wasn't as optimised as it could of been. Not trying to hate on him, I enjoy most of his videos but not all of them.

I can't really get into dicetower, again for me i mostly care about how the game plays, not the in depth mechanics because I'll learn all of that when I get the game and play it. I think that's why I enjoy Table Top is because he gives you a brief overview and then shows you people playing. To me it's easy to tell if I want a game that way, I'll learn what ever mechanics I need to if the game is fun, but I can't just hear how the game works and think it'll be fun. In theory everything is fun on paper, it's till you have actual people sitting down and playing is when you see if it is truly fun or not.

I also like shut up and sit down. Really I have no criticism for them, they give you a brief overview of a game, show you examples and are funny to boot. Though I do wish they had more videos of board games but oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Shut Up and Sit Down as they are both funny and informative like you said.

My personal favourite is The Dice Tower - I know you said you can't get into it, but honestly the best part of the Dice Tower for me is the Top Ten Lists with Tom, Sam and Zee. At first I was like "Why are these so long" and "I just want to know the list" but I absolutely love watching them now. They each take turns listing their #10 (of whatever category) and so on and explain their choice, sometimes they disagree and that is also informative. I have found this to be an excellent resource with regards to how I choose games. I do not have the exact preferences of any 1 of the 3 of them, but you start to see how you are like each of them and can make better choices based on that.

Then perhaps in the future you might enjoy Boardgame Blender or Boardgame Brakfast. I personally prefer Blender because they have a sort of unifying theme and there are some really cool segment ideas and contributors in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Hill
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Agricola and Dominion and Race for the Galaxy and so forth. Those are the main ones I own and play or at least try to play. Especially Dominion!

It's good you're getting away from video gaming. I do love a game of Starcraft II every once and a while but board gaming is more social, even more than MMORPGS because the other players are of course all around the world on their computers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.