California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to build a deck? What ratio of allies, quests, weapo
I'd say:

16 quests
20 allies
16 abilities

and 8 either for more of the above or equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize I'm a couple weeks late on this but anyway, I've been buying into the WoW card game heavily and reading up about it. After a lot of research, I've discovered a couple of things. First, it's very similar to Magic in design by intention, with some significant improvements beyond the cosmetic. Second, there are extensive resources online to teach you principles of deck building related to Magic that apply to WoW.

There are some key phrases I kept running across that you can enter singly or combine in your search engine of choice to get to some really good information about deck building. Try: Magic Deck Archetypes Deck Construction Aggro Control Combo MTG Deck Types Magic Terminology Magic Deck Building...etc. The phrase "deck archetypes" is especially good as a starting point.

Also, I'd say check out the wow tcg home page message boards, especially decklists and strategy, as well as the archived news articles featuring specific cards and classes. Finally, TCGPlayer.com (the WoW section) has lots of good articles, including a recent one on card advantage that's an excellent primer in the craft of deck building.

To go about trying to figure out how many quests, allies, items or abilities to include in a deck without an archetype focus, i.e. aggro, control, or combo, might not be very helpful. You might try reading convention reports from GenCon SoCal on the winning tournament decks to see what worked and why. Learning Magic terminology and deck building concepts will take you a long way into the new WoW TCG. Too bad it's not all collected in one place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally you want to have enough quests so that you usually dont have to use other cards as resources. Drawing too few, or extra quests, is bad, like in magic, but not nearly as bad as it is in magic (since there, you either cant do anything if too few, or cant do anything if too many). In wow, too few quests means you lose out on getting some quest abilities, while too many means your late game draw of a quest requires like 3 resources to turn into a 'real card'.

Generally you should play about as many as you do in magic, or around 24 in a 60 card deck. They are still good lategame draws, since often it does something like get you back the creature of your choice or spell of your choice or whatever.

For equipment, it is both strategy dependant and calss dependant. Ive found all the caster type classes equipment to basically suck. Youre using them mostly for their effects, and they usually arent worth it. The classes that get good equipment on the other hand, have some REALLY good equipment. I have a warlock deck with 0 equipment and a hunter deck with about 18. Hunters get the best equipment, imo, because they get the ancient bone bow weapon, which is basically the biggest reason to play a hunter. For those who can get good equipment, it makes sense to at least play some, since killing your opponents guys, blocking damage, and being able to attack their hero with yours are very strong.

For spells (abilities), it depends a lot on your strategy, but the caster types tend to have stronger ones so youd expect to play more of them. But it really depends on your strategy and what effects you want.

Creatures also depends on your strategy, an aggro deck will probably have many small creatures, while a control deck has a smaller number that are larger on average. All decks need to have things they can do in the first several turns, to not fall hopelessly behind, for a control deck this is probably creature kill spells and small defenders, for an aggro deck, its quick attackers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Generally you should play about as many as you do in magic, or around 24 in a 60 card deck.

fwiw, i tend to run 16 and couldn't imagine having 24 in a deck. i have enough trouble cramming cards in as-is!

to the OP, check out http://wow.tcgplayer.com/db/Decks.asp?A=1&order_by=PlaceSort for a list of decks sorted by class and tournament placing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run 16 quests in my deck.

24 is too many as most games end by turn 8 or 9. Quests you drop earlier will be used to fish for more cards so having too many takes away precious slots for other allies and abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to build a deck? What ratio of allies, quests, weapo
After plenty of games, it depends on what you want to build.

For a mage deck, you want tons of abilities, a few allies and a few equipment.

For a warrior deck, TONS of gear, a few allies for support, etc.

If you want a general deck structure here:

16 quests
24 allies
4 equipment
16 abilities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.