Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For our upcoming holiday in the states, we're going on a Disney Cruise to the Caribbean, and for a bit of fun we are participating in what's called a "Fish Extender" program, which is basically a gift exchange list. There's 20 cabins on each list so we have to compile gifts for 19 other cabins/families. Now I have some ideas for things to give out (mostly Australian treats to shock and entertain our new American friends), but I'm considering putting in a small game as well. Share a bit of gaming love.

My first thought would be Love Letter. I can get them for around the $7 mark at Cardhaus or similar, and it's sort of thematic as well with the princess thing on a Disney cruise. It's small, super-simple to teach and play, and suitable for the small families who would be on the ship with us.

Does anyone have any other ideas that might suit? It has to be small, cheap (preferably no more than about $7-8 per game) and family-friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Keith
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gamewright games, such as Sleeping Queens, are not bad games for kids and family. For slightly more money, you could consider Sushi Go! or even Star Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Rory's Story Cubes are excellent family games. It's more of an activity, but it does inspire creative story telling.

There is also Cardline: Animals for some light education.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Set
Wizard
BraveRats
Five Crowns
Lost Legacy
Once Upon a Time
Spot It

You get several more games, and likely better, if you go up to $12-14. But, consider PNP. PNP can let you convert crafting time into $, and some PNP games are quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always

Fluxx

with all its different variations and more fun with more people !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're anticipating some of the receiving families will have smaller kids, check out LOOT. It's moderately interesting for grown ups to play (though not nearly so much as LOVE LETTER), but our younger was playing LOOT at 4 (though not always getting the strategy, having fun nonetheless).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 SET
+1 Love Letter
+1 Spot It
+1 Fluxx (Cartoon Network version maybe?)

or...

Tantrix
Red7
Liars Dice (Target had a 9.99 version, 4 cups and 4 sets of dice. Maybe there is no Target in Australia.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Forsberg
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for Love Letter or Sushi Go. Both small, cheap and great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Hill
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some variant of Werewolf maybe? Should be cheap enough, and it's small, could cultivate a nice, large gaming experience on board?? Have fun!

CoinAge-- 5 bucks, two player, fun, portable, awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Steadman
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased Jaipur and I am loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - great ideas.

What I might actually do is select 5-7 different games and put them in the gifts, along with an open invitation to sit down and have me teach them the game. My way of getting in some gaming by stealth (we are on holidays for 5 weeks, and I'll miss several of my regular gaming sessions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can also recommend the Gamewright games and they can be found pretty cheap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter is pretty accessible. If you want to punch it up a bit you could go with Lost Legacy: Flying Garden or Lost Legacy: The Starship.

Depending on the expected ages of the kids, I've found No Thanks! to be pretty popular with everyone I've introduced it to, whether relatively new to gaming or seasoned gamers.

One problem with Star Realms is that it is limited to 2 players unless you get a second set.

Coup can handle more players if you can find it cheap and want a bluffing game.

Edited to add:
Oh! depending on when you are going, the boardgamegeek store has some travel edition games, some Knizias for example, in your price range: http://boardgamegeekstore.com/collections/games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.