Orin Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Midway through a game tonight (in which we weren't bothering to keep score round to round) I began to muse about how a round might play out if everyone were a spy. I could have waited until a future game to try this out, setting it up beforehand, but I decided I wanted to try it then and there.

The approach I settled on (there were 4 of us) was to remove 3 spy cards from 3 bags and slip them on top of the cards in another bag. Then I could prepare those cards in plain sight for the next round with 1 spy off the bottom and 3 "non-spy" cards off the top. The sleight of hand required to set this up would prove tricky, particularly since we were playing on the floor so I couldn't hide the bags under the table, but I chose my moments while people were distracted with the drama of the current round and managed to prepare everything without arousing suspicion (it helped that I was the most experienced player and thus doing most of the setup already).

The 4-spies round was glorious. Every question and answer was hilariously vague:
"What is the floor like?"
"Great!"
"Do you become frustrated with the people?"
"Definitely."
"Do you enjoy the view?"
"My part of the thing is away from the view."

We were all in hysterics until about 6 minutes in when one of us decided to reveal himself and guess that we were at an embassy for some reason. After a brief moment of collective confusion, I revealed my ploy (and somehow escaped being lynched).

An interesting effect of making everyone a spy is that the group as a whole became very willing to go along with whatever people said. If I said "it gets quite loud here," everyone would tend to nod knowingly like "I get what you're saying, fellow non-spy," regardless of how ridiculous or content-free the answer was. I suspect this might differ with different groups and tendencies, but one spy-catching strategy I'll try to implement in future is to look out for players who seem eager to feign understanding, though the effect becomes much more palpable when everyone is in this mode.

Spyfall provides a great deal of humor, drama and tension simply from drawing on that basic human fear of not fitting in. My friend described it well: this is a game about the feeling of being involved in a conversation on a topic that you are merely pretending to know about.
"What a game last night, eh?"
"Yeah man!"
"Iginla was on fire!"
"Yup, he was sure good at the... pitching?"

A Spyfall game with only spies is like a sports conversation between a group of people all desperately pretending to know about sports. And it is hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my god, I had this same thought last week. I am SO doing it when I get the game too. Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too want to try this out. I think I may pre-set it up as our group is pretty handsy with just grabbing a bag and going.

Can you imagine this with 8?

I would have a hard time holding it together.

I would sooo ask the most ridiculous questions just to cause further havoc.

Well played Sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so doing this next time we play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was getting a demo at comic con and our second game the guy somehow managed to leave out the spy card. It was actually also fun.

We were at the bank and I was a customer. Another player was a robber and between the 2 of us the players all thought one of us must be the spy. Now since I knew I wasn't and the other didn't seem to be lying, I started wondering if maybe there was no spy. After a heated back and forth about who the spy might be majority voted that the robber must be the spy. When we all revealed the bank it was a riot. I'm really enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
This would make an excellent Demo Promo: 8 spy cards. Use them as a set and mix that set in the box and every once in a while this happens naturally. To "win" a spy has to reveal and say "we are all spys" instead of guessing location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fredrick berlik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once did something similar in a game of Resistance. I was playing as a moderator (I was playing with new players so I decided to be a moderator), so I made all the players good players (Resistance). Then when they went on a mission I would take their cards and sometimes fail the mission. This led to some interesting arguments between the players as to who was the bad guys (Empire). It was a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Skinner
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done this with my personal copy; I added an extra bag with all spy cards we had extras of at the office, and when I play with people it just gets randomly pulled occasionally. It's hilarious every time. Definitely recommend! I want to try to get Hobby World on board with the idea of releasing an all-Spy promo pack, or something similar so people don't have to canibalize their other baggies to make it happen. Hopefully some day!

-Ryan Skinner
Cryptozoic Entertsinment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Wright
Australia
Brunswick
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh please please do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RSkinner wrote:
I've done this with my personal copy; I added an extra bag with all spy cards we had extras of at the office, and when I play with people it just gets randomly pulled occasionally. It's hilarious every time. Definitely recommend! I want to try to get Hobby World on board with the idea of releasing an all-Spy promo pack, or something similar so people don't have to cannibalize their other baggies to make it happen. Hopefully some day!

-Ryan Skinner
Cryptozoic Entertsinment

Could work to be a replacement should a spy card accidentally get marked so there would be spares.

Make it so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done this once per group. Gotta be careful about doing it too often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw Tom pull this on the Dice Tower 24 hour stream...

THIS MUST BECOME A BGG STORE PROMO ITEM RIGHT NOW ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.