Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francesca Campofredano
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have finally time to learn the game and found that the Bots represent a great way to get a grasp to the strategic options (besides the great videos). Trying to follow Erasmus logic I am not sure I understood correctly how to read the Japanese "Defense Perimeter Strategy". It reads:

"S. Pacific flank strategy
1. Guadalcanal
2. New Guinea (bla bla bla)

Australia Mandates
1. If Rabaul Allied Controlled
2. If Rabaul JP controlled then Guadalcanal

NW New Guinea

New Guinea
..."

Do I have to choose between S.Pacific flank strategy (basically bypassing Rabaul and go straight to Guadalcanl) and Australia Mandates? or is it just South Pacific flank strategy/objectives which has to be followed (in which case the question would be when I get to use the Australia Mandates strategy/objectives)? something else?

Either way, which is the correct way to read the Australia Mandates part?
I understood something like

Australia Mandates
1. If Rabaul Allied Controlled, take Rabaul
2. If Rabaul JP controlled then take Guadalcanal

...but since I am learning I can hardly believe I can get anything right the first time

thanks in advance

Francesco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lopresti wrote:
Hi,

I have finally time to learn the game and found that the Bots represent a great way to get a grasp to the strategic options (besides the great videos). Trying to follow Erasmus logic I am not sure I understood correctly how to read the Japanese "Defense Perimeter Strategy". It reads:

"S. Pacific flank strategy
1. Guadalcanal

Australia Mandates
1. If Rabaul Allied Controlled
2. If Rabaul JP controlled then Guadalcanal

NW New Guinea

New Guinea
..."

Do I have to choose between S.Pacific flank strategy (basically bypassing Rabaul and go straight to Guadalcanl) and Australia Mandates? or is it just South Pacific flank strategy/objectives which has to be followed (in which case the question would be when I get to use the Australia Mandates strategy/objectives)? something else?

Either way, which is the correct way to read the Australia Mandates part?
I understood something like

Australia Mandates
1. If Rabaul Allied Controlled, take Rabaul
2. If Rabaul JP controlled then take Guadalcanal

...but since I am learning I can hardly believe I can get anything right the first time

thanks in advance

Francesco

They are two pieces of the same logic. The flank strategy wants you to take G'canal to capture the Mandates. The second piece is the tactical objectives. The chart is having you check first to make sure you have Rabaul so that the capture of G'canal will accomplish the task. If for any reason Rabaul is not JP controlled, you first have to capture it and then G'canal. If as is likely the case the JP already control Rabaul, then you capture G'canal.

Once the Mandates are handled, you then go after NW New Guinea followed by the remainder of New Guinea.

Does that clear things up?

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesca Campofredano
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
first of all, it a pleasure to have the question answered by Dr. Herman himself (and at 6.08 am in the morning since in the best cast the US east coast is 6 time zone behind Central Europe?)

regarding the post, it is clear now. If I might add something to it, it would have been clearer (at least to me), if it read

S.Pacific flank strategy
1. Australia Mandates

I might have some other question but most were answered by the great videos. Keep them coming!!!

till next time

Francesco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lopresti wrote:
it would have been clearer (at least to me), if it read

S.Pacific flank strategy
1. Australia Mandates

Definitely, and to be 100% consistent with the bottom portion, how about

1. Australlian Mandates
2. NW New Guinea
3. New Guinea

Also for the Australlian Mandates section, just

1. Rabaul
2. Guadalcanal

It seems the "if Allied controlled" and "If Guadalcanal JP controlled" are not necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lopresti wrote:
first of all, it a pleasure to have the question answered by Dr. Herman himself (and at 6.08 am in the morning since in the best cast the US east coast is 6 time zone behind Central Europe?)

regarding the post, it is clear now. If I might add something to it, it would have been clearer (at least to me), if it read

S.Pacific flank strategy
1. Australia Mandates

I might have some other question but most were answered by the great videos. Keep them coming!!!

till next time

Francesco

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I will try to organize future versions differently in the future.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
I noticed the "Defense Perimeter Strategy" is in bold and referenced in the third column, and fifth column of the Japanese Erasmus Bot Opening Phase (also 3rd column of the Middle Bot Phase). Yet unlike all the other listed strategies, I see no separate listing/enumeration for "Defense Perimeter Strategy". Or have my aging eyes just missed it completely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanteEdmundo wrote:
I noticed the "Defense Perimeter Strategy" is in bold and referenced in the third column, and fifth column of the Japanese Erasmus Bot Opening Phase (also 3rd column of the Middle Bot Phase). Yet unlike all the other listed strategies, I see no separate listing/enumeration for "Defense Perimeter Strategy". Or have my aging eyes just missed it completely?

No your eyes are fine, what is directly below the title is the Defense Perimeter Strategy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
MarkHerman wrote:
DanteEdmundo wrote:

No your eyes are fine, what is directly below the title is the Defense Perimeter Strategy...

Roger! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoM Lauzon
Canada
Saint-Lazare
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this thread,

there is something fundamental I do not get reading the Bot in terms of play decision to make.

Could someone explain the thought process and decision reading the Allies BOT assuming it is the second action card play (Right where the Example of play stops in Section 19) ?

I beleive I would just need THAT first Bot action run through to Get going.

Never having played the game makes it harder to crack it a bit as the bot uses action card references which I sometimes grant as a rule, so it is a slow immersion process which is OK, but there is something I am not getting when trying to walk the first few boxes of the bot.

Thanks in advance ! Can't wait to be able to go through my first full turn :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domostie wrote:
Thanks for this thread,

there is something fundamental I do not get reading the Bot in terms of play decision to make.

Could someone explain the thought process and decision reading the Allies BOT assuming it is the second action card play (Right where the Example of play stops in Section 19) ?

I beleive I would just need THAT first Bot action run through to Get going.

Never having played the game makes it harder to crack it a bit as the bot uses action card references which I sometimes grant as a rule, so it is a slow immersion process which is OK, but there is something I am not getting when trying to walk the first few boxes of the bot.

Thanks in advance ! Can't wait to be able to go through my first full turn :-)

Have you seen this video?

https://youtu.be/dclcfua2sfI?list=PLDp4C70KgUqaoV4Uw1ApJ96us...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoM Lauzon
Canada
Saint-Lazare
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No !

d not find this one on my previous search.

Thanks for the pointers, going there NOW !

Will report back if still in dire need of support...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoM Lauzon
Canada
Saint-Lazare
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again,

I believe I know why I got confused to start with.

1) I had started from the 1941 example of play as I was eager to start and the CDSS states it can be done, so in the process missed that the 1942 offers the Allied to have the conference card to play ABDA. Is this card a requirement for Erasmus played as a Bot ? Not having it feels like it is going down a strange path from a logic-flow perspective...?

2) Axis of Adv Determination first box spells out *Reposition forces but the actual related action seems to be *Evacuation, and from a definition perspective, I did not find reposition related to evacuation per se.

Again, I have never played it, so thanks for your patience and support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.