Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some things I'd like to see in future expansions;

1. Animals - as gladiators. Lions, Bears, Elephants, Bulls

2. Armour - Breastplate, Shoulder guard (Galerus), Small shield (Parmula), Arm Wrap (Manica)

3. Weapons - Sica(curved sword, Spear (Hasta), Long sword (Spartha)

4. Equal battles - Favour only applies when a gladiator wins an equal battle,

5. Special - tactical moves (Charge move double), Sand flick (lose 2 attack dice this attack), Trip (enemy move is cancelled), Glare relect (lose 2 defense dice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for animals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
Some things I'd like to see in future expansions;

1. Animals - as gladiators. Lions, Bears, Elephants, Bulls

2. Armour - Breastplate, Shoulder guard (Galerus), Small shield (Parmula), Arm Wrap (Manica)

3. Weapons - Sica(curved sword, Spear (Hasta), Long sword (Spartha)

4. Equal battles - Favour only applies when a gladiator wins an equal battle,

5. Special - tactical moves (Charge move double), Sand flick (lose 2 attack dice this attack), Trip (enemy move is cancelled), Glare relect (lose 2 defense dice)

Great ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second animals.

Beyond that I would want more houses.

I could also see more types of arena combats along the lines of some of the festivals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VERY WELL trained animals. Tell that bear to not just decapitate that gladiator and wait for a thumb signal

I would like to see more multiple player battles, not just a forced primus card and not have to wait for the host to have 10 influence. 3 way battles, 4 way battles.

Of course more houses, more range 2 weapons. Equipment that straight up ADDs a die to your pool. And foam bats, because sometimes you just need to smack the heck out of one of the other players for totally screwing you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May I take the opportunity to direct you to the Wild Animal rules we use: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/100785/wild-animals-varia...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woa, I have some reading to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously animals attack until the opponent is dead.. Merciless I think is the gladiator keyword?

I did see the animal rules, but it seemed to me that animals should be more purposeful, not random. Having a player simply control the animal, in the same fashion as a gladiator seemed not unreasonable.

Aside from a set of Attack-Defense-Movement dice, I think animals would also have some extra abilities.
Rhino - charge extra distance in straight line.
Elephant - trample (immobilise enemy), and toss (throw backwards several hexes)
Lion - maul (extra hits)
Bear - hug (immobilise enemy)

There is also the potential for animal vs animal fights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all your suggestions, especially the one about giving control to a player.

The main point of the Wild Animals rules is to keep them simple to not bog the game down.

If you try them out you will see that the animals are not so random, but a little more predictable than gladiators. I personally think this is fairly realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about 'Special' cards, what I think I want is Combat Reaction cards. The idea being that as gladiators go to the arena they draw Combat cards from a special deck of Reaction cards equal to their Gold Value.

Combat Reaction cards are played just as reaction cards (i.e anytime), but
only effect the fight, and any unused cards are discarded at the end of match.

Some combat reaction cards I considered;
Charge - move extra 2 hexes if all movement is in a line
Quick - move 1 extra hex
Dodge - step back 1 hex when attacked (before die roll). If out of range attack is voided.
Parry - block 1 hit
Shield puch - winning defense dice cause hit to attacker
Side step -move 1 hex after attack/being attacked
Lucky - re-roll all 1s
Trip - halt opponent movement in adjacent hex
Throw sand - reduce attack by 2 dice for this attack
Sun glare - reduce defense dice by 1 for this attack
2nd wind - recover 2 speed dice
Feigning injury - recover 1 dice
Disarm- opponent drops 1 piece of gear for match
Frenzy-make 2 attacks, but cannot move.

The aim it to shake up the combat a bit, make it a little less predictable. On the other hand, by basing the number of cards drawn on gold value, the better gladiators still retain a superiority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea. I'd make them normal reaction cards (and mix them into the intrigue deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Knees
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one, don't want to see animals in the game. It's not true to the series, also from what I've read, historically animals quite often where not exciting. Scared of the crowds etc...

I'd like to see:
Another house (pirate guy from last season)
Different strength guards eg foils on a 3+ (Stronger) or 5+ (weaker)
New arena option (pits)
Caesar as a gladiator, along with some other Romans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although animals were not used in the show, they certainly were historically: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venatio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Great idea. I'd make them normal reaction cards (and mix them into the intrigue deck).

I considered then as normal reaction cards, but given hand size limits, I think they would become not worthwhile keeping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is the other way around. You can keep a reaction or two that will affect the outcome of the arena phase. This is a great benefit as it will give you inside information that none of the other players know. We have had quite long discussions about the role of the arena phase. My take on it is that it should not be random. There is a point to being able to predict the outcome. If you have a lot of secret ways to affect that, that will unbalance the arena and make it too random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
What I really want to see:
- New houses (Glaber)

- optional blue dice variant

- animal figures, fight

- few more main character figures

- slave figures for arena fights

- modified Batiatus house rule or starting assets

- street fight

- pit fight

- some kind of effect of wounds (less dice for a few round for example)

- ally characters, who can help your house in return of something (like young Caesar, pirates, soldiers)

- slave rage measurer: if the nobles keep their slaves in a bad way for a long time, the slaves will get angrier. At the end, and they do a revolution. You can try to prevent this by guards. If you can't prevent this, you loose the game, your house is dead, and the player on your left or right will get the revolution effect too. The other players can help you to prevent the revolution by giving you their guards (small cooperation).
So basically this is a chain reaction, which can burn the whole table. In a way, I want to see the main theme of the TV series in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truls Rostrup
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
You need to house rule primus for 8+ influence, otherwise it will almost never happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrUlster wrote:
You need to house rule primus for 8+ influence, otherwise it will almost never happen.

Or add the Shadow of Death expansion cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
TrUlster wrote:

Or add the Shadow of Death expansion cool

I have been pawing at the Shadow of Death expansion. I haven't gotten it yet, still thinking about it. Totally worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally.

The new house is great. It allows a seventh player or provides variety in smaller games.

The cards include festivals which allow more primuses (primii?) with special rules (like only slaves allowed or all participants must have equipment).

There are boast cards which allow you to strengthen your position, but with added risk.

There are new versions of Spartacus, Crixus and Theokeles.

The three personalised models are great.

The price is extremely low. Taking my family to McDonald's once costs more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin N
Canada
Victoria
British columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree wholly with Mattias,

The shadow of death expansion is amazing. All of the stuff it adds to the game just improves game play. Nothing detracts from game play, and it's seamless integration.

it's so good, I think it's a no brainer, Absolutely worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
My expansion wish from a previous post of mine:

- New houses (Glaber)
- optional blue dice variant
- animal figures, fight
- few more main character figures
- slave figures for arena fights
- modified Batiatus house rule or starting assets
- street fight
- pit fight

- some kind of effect of wounds (less dice for a few round for example)
- ally characters, who can help your house in return of something (like young Caesar, pirates, soldiers)
- slave rage measurer: if the nobles keep their slaves in a bad way for a long time, the slaves will get angrier. At the end, and they do a revolution. You can try to prevent this by guards. If you can't prevent this, you loose the game, your house is dead, and the player on your left or right will get the revolution effect too. The other players can help you to prevent the revolution by giving you their guards (small cooperation).
So basically this is a chain reaction, which can burn the whole table. In a way, I want to see the main theme of the TV series in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keus Neznauskas
msg tools
My expansion wishes:

- One or Two Reaction cards called "Rudius"(for example). At the end of the Arena phase, you use this card, and the target dominus MUST award his champion(which won the battle ofcourse) with freedom (discard the gladiator card). As it was in the end of "Gods of the Arena" season

- Unique armor(which block all ATK dices during a single attack, and then must be exhaust, for example), weapons. But the prices for such things starting from 10 gold(and you can't offer less).

- The pits(and you must roll one die, on 1 in the result you lose 1 influence - you dishonor yourself, by showing up in such place, 2-6 - no one saw it was you )

- And ofcourse new gladiators: Liscus, Donar, Sanus, Hilarus and others from "Vengeance" and "War of the Damned", new Houses: Cossutius and Quintilius Varis, new slaves: any

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Hoel
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
I have been thinking of the death of Solonius, how he was tricked and had to face a gladiator in the arena.
A scheme-card with high intrigue-level, in which you have to get the help from the one you are trying to get killed. If it works out the dominus of that house must fight in the arena
What do you think? Can it be done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Schiøtt
Denmark
flag msg tools
First of all better plastic money. I really wasen't happy with The New ones.
- more weapons and armor and some cards that steal equipments from each other
- rules for more tactical movement in The arena. I use Houserules for this but some official rules would be nice
- better defence rules. Defence is always The first to go in my games.
- maybe some arena effect cards. Random effects like forcing The host to kill The losing gladiator
- training weak gladiator rules. Some cards are just discarded instandly in my games and that's a shame
- secret objectiv card that give you a bonus for completing. Like sell starting gladiator to a rival. Gain 5 bonus money from The bank.

Me and my group love this game and we are sad to see that this game dosen't get as much love as Firefly. Hoping that will chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.