Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Coc LCG Core Set Contents list any where? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owain Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I just picked up the Coc LCG core set of ebay but have been searching for a Contents record to check every thing is there. What has me most confused is that I only have 1 copy of each card?

I've bought other FFG LCG's in the past and although I know not every card you get in a core set comes as a set of 3 most of them do, so I'm a little concerned as to weather i've been ripped off on ebay or not.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kaiser
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/CoC/CoCCards.html

There you'll find everything. Core game and expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The CoC LCG has been around since 2008 and they were doing singles of cards in the cores then (did the same with Game of Thrones first editon).

You should have 165 cards: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/CoC/CoCCards.html/_/core...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owain Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Yeah I've seen the CocDB site but it's only to show the cards you get not the amount of copies of each card you get. All the deluxe expansions contain 55 cards according to the DB but thats actualy 55 new cards but 3 copies of each though...right? lol

Any way I've counted 165 cards and after some digging on forums I found some people talking about this issue and how the core set is only singles and only really an introduction to the game unlike the other LCG cores which provide more of a back bone to the game.

I just wish this had been made more clear some how my FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the deluxe expansions all contain 3 copies each of 55 cards. Asylum Packs contain 3 copies each of 20 cards (the first two cycles were 2 copies each but have since been reprinted with 3 each, watch out for this if you are buying on ebay or similar).

A 2nd Core will often make decks more consistent for a newer player however there is a pretty high proportion of unique characters in CoC so it's not as much of a problem as you may think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
neffer54 wrote:

Yeah I've seen the CocDB site but it's only to show the cards you get not the amount of copies of each card you get. All the deluxe expansions contain 55 cards according to the DB but thats actualy 55 new cards but 3 copies of each though...right? lol

Any way I've counted 165 cards and after some digging on forums I found some people talking about this issue and how the core set is only singles and only really an introduction to the game unlike the other LCG cores which provide more of a back bone to the game.

How is this game more of an "introduction" than the other games?

I love that it only comes with one of each card. That means when you buy additional core sets, you're not going to have a bunch of unnecessary duplicates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owain Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Burnham wrote:
neffer54 wrote:

How is this game more of an "introduction" than the other games?

I love that it only comes with one of each card. That means when you buy additional core sets, you're not going to have a bunch of unnecessary duplicates.

With Netrunner for example. Although limited with the core set you can at least deck build with a strategy in mind. With CoC its just seems to be a case of choose 2 factions and see how it goes.

With netrunner I've gone and bought some cycles boxes and one deluxe expansions and although yes some of the cards in the core I would like extra copies of I don't feel an overwhelming need to go and buy an extra core set anytime soon if at all. With Coc if I want to get into this and play down my local store I'm going to need a 2nd copy to make a viable deck to get started.

But please bare in mind these are only my initial thoughts as it oonly arrived today =P. Ive already ordered "The Order of the Silver Twilight" and "The Thousand Young" expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owain Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
Yes the deluxe expansions all contain 3 copies each of 55 cards. Asylum Packs contain 3 copies each of 20 cards (the first two cycles were 2 copies each but have since been reprinted with 3 each, watch out for this if you are buying on ebay or similar).

A 2nd Core will often make decks more consistent for a newer player however there is a pretty high proportion of unique characters in CoC so it's not as much of a problem as you may think.

Great Thanks for the warning on that! Much appreciated.

There has been a sudden surge at my local store with LCG's and being a love craft fan I've wanted to play CoC Lcg for a while now. I'll see how it goes as I have already ordered 2 of the deluxe expansions. But i Could see a 2nd core being required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're arguing personal preferences really. For someone who intends to ONLY buy the Core, the strategy of putting in more copies of fewer cards is probably going to be more to their liking. It makes it more like an all-in-one boardgame, which is what they're intending to use it for.

For those who plan to collect the game, the 1x of each card is great. I've got a whole pile of waste Netrunner cards just from owning TWO Cores. With three Cores, what was it, I'd get *SIX* cards I could actually use and the rest is all waste? That's a load of BS right there, and the reason I only have two Cores. Each Cthulhu core is all cards you can actually use. It's not just about waste either, because you don't have a hundred coasters you've also got a hundred extra cards for your collection.

Frankly, neither approach really lets you do deck building from a single Core. Being able to swap out a few spare cards is like putting those little salt & pepper packets in with your fast food. You can adjust seasoning just a little bit, but that's not being a chef.

I will agree that the starter decks in the recent games have been better designed to feel more coherent. That's something FFG has learned along the way. The early games when they had just invented the LCG concept basically just put in a broad spectrum of cards. I guess the idea was to show a cross section of variety. Now they try to make the resulting beginner deck feel at least a little bit designed. But they can't really go back and redo the Cores for the old games very easily at this late point in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.