United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not the best deals of all time, but these prices are pretty good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BYT1KN2?ref_=pd_ys_ir_...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BYT1SO8?ref_=pd_ys_ir_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burke
England
Newcastle (aka Geordie Land)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the best type of glue to use on foamboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
I use Anita's tacky glue, you can find it in the Range and most craft stores.

A few dressmakers pins are also handy, to hold things in place while the glue dries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bog standard PVA if you have nimble fingers. Tacky stuff - sure: it's more expensive but it can make things easier. Try to get very thin pins, and not too long - 15mm say.

Also, any device that helps you make perpendicular cuts will make the job of gluing a LOT easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I use PVA Craft Glue, it is white and stable.
https://www.eckersleys.com.au/products/ec-pva-craft-glue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you use foamboard for? Making custom inserts, is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
bonnieprince wrote:
What do you use foamboard for? Making custom inserts, is it?

Usually, yes.

But at that price my house might get the extension I've always wanted it to have. It's seriously sturdy stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Custom inserts, boxes; internal lids where the box lid doesn't stop the bits from moving around; stiffening the top of big game boxes where they've dished. Architects - for example - use it for scale models. You can also mount pictures/posters on it and - if you protect the edges with a wrap-over tape or edging of some kind - player boards. It's a very versatile material.

It cones in 3mm too. Some applications (box stiffening) might be better with the 3mm, but 5mm is the norm for inserts and suchlike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do *not* visit "The Range" if you want storage boxes but it's a bit close to pay-day. They have LOADS. Some are perfect for e.g. Caverna. They have (or at least had) 'soft' plastic ones - not the brittle acrylic that cracks easily - with movable internal dividers .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first foamboard that i bought was:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005BD6QN6?psc=1&redirect...

After cutting it to size, the cut edges have lots of holes, basically it's no where near as smooth as the uncut edges, and looks pretty terrible.

Is the foamcore that you've linked any better? The RRP is considerably higher, but I can't see much difference in the description except a very small difference in mass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other folks will be along with more experience than me, but I reckon your blade wasn't sharp enough and thus pulled some particles out rather than slicing through them. Having said that, I'm not sure the composition is uniform all through the board.

I glued some 5mm strips of paper over the visible cut edges of mine, and the "Rabbett" tool can give you a flap to paste over too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LOGAN-WC-4010-FoamWerks-Rabbet-Cutte... shop around as that one's a bit expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
I reckon your blade wasn't sharp enough and thus pulled some particles out rather than slicing through them.

That was my immediate thought as well. If your blade isn't super-sharp, then bits of the foam are going to get caught on the blade and pull out of place, leaving holes behind them. The caught foam then often compresses, so you don't see bits of it come out or anything.

The knife will blunt very quickly while cutting foamboard. Best is a razor blade, or a scalpel, but failing that snap off your snap-off utility knife blade after quite literally five or six cuts maximum.

For what it's worth, I've never seen foamboard that isn't uniform all the way through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bravo Whisky
Scotland
Fochabers
flag msg tools
I've just come back from a 100 mile round trip to Inverness, and spent £25 at my local Hobby Craft for 2xA1 and 4xA2. Naturally, I find this very amusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gil Martin wrote:
I've just come back from a 100 mile round trip to Inverness, and spent £25 at my local Hobby Craft for 2xA1 and 4xA2. Naturally, I find this very amusing.
Sorry for your loss

Is it worth driving back for a refund?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Gil Martin wrote:

All that way, just to pick up foamcore?*

Still, did you get a nice day out out of it?

*I've suddenly just remembered an old Knorr stock cube advert 'All that way, just for a chicken?'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wraxall
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gil Martin wrote:

I find nothing about a trip to Inverness amusing.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're in Essex and want foamboard then pm me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Cott
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A3 white is even cheaper - £7.49 incl delivery:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cathedral-A3-Foam-Board-White/dp/B00...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
White is generally (almost always) cheaper than black. Bigger sheets are (almost) always cheaper per m2 than smaller.

4 x 10 x A3 @ £7.49 = £29.96 but 10 x A1 = £27.19. A few £, but bigger sheets are pretty much always more versatile also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Cott
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good spot. Your maths is better than mine

Has anyone ordered from these people before? What is the chance of the A1 sheets arriving still relatively flat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pack of 10 A1 sheets of foamboard wrapped in cardboard is pretty undamageable. I ordered (some while ago) 10 x black and 10 x white (at different times) and they arrived in perfect condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.