Subject: Avoiding alpha-player issue with personal objectives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Bøttger
Denmark
Odense SV
Fyn
flag msg tools
I haven't actually played OP yet (still painting up the minis), so I might be addressing a non-existent problem - in that case sorry!

Anyway, I've found that a lot of dungeon crawlers suffer from alpha-player issues (one player effectively telling the rest what to do) which annoys me a lot.

I was thinking that a possible remedy in OP could be a house rule which stated that a commando who is killed (as in removed from the game) cannot win, even if the other commandos complete their objective.

This would ensure that everyone is also looking out for their own best interests, as well as those of the team, and give individual players incentive to make up their own mind as what to do, instead of just taking "orders" from the alpha-player. It also gives commando players a chance to be "heroes" - laying down their life (and chance of personal victory) to help the team.

Of course, this will make life for the commando side a bit tougher, but maybe this could be remedied somehow?

Anyhow - thoughts on the above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get less jerky friends? Stand up to them and say you do you and i'll do me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bøttger
Denmark
Odense SV
Fyn
flag msg tools
VaeVictis666 wrote:
Get less jerky friends? Stand up to them and say you do you and i'll do me?

Heh - actually I'm usually the most experienced player in our group, meaning that I'm often the Overlord/gamesmaster in these kinds of games. My main concern is that the commando/hero side often develops an alpha-player dynamic, which makes it less fun for the least experienced players.

We played a few games of Spectre Ops (which is brilliant) the other day and it was only when I played the hunter side that the other hunter player enjoyed himself. For the first game (when I was playing agent) one of the hunter players was basically playing the game himself, dishing out orders to the other.

I realize that the best way of mitigating alpha-player issues is being open to suggestions from other players (even if they aren't as experienced as yourself) but not everybody gets that. Hence my search for a house rule on the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes people do some really silly things for their turns in the games that I play. I typically just let them do it unless there is a total obvious thing that they overlooked. Like a stupid example might be. There is a space on the board that says "place your character here and get 10 billion gold" and they put their guy on the space that says "lose the game and pay each player $20 out of your real life wallet".

But yes, this game definitely has the potential for an alpha gamer try to dictate what everyone does. "OH, let me go first, I will place my guy here, shoot alien A, then you move up to here and throw the grenade, then you back up 3 spaces here, and you come up to here and heal this guy.....everyone OK with that?..OK COOL" alien turn.

I think spector ops suffers from this more though lol

If you see someone doing this in your group you can always be a jerk and say to the other people, "would you like *person* to take all your turns and you two play summoner wars or something? hehe

EDIT: The best thing though I think would be to reassure the person whos turn it is that they can do anything they want, maybe give them a reminder of their abilities and let them take it from there. Basically let them know that they do NOT have to do what the other person was trying to dictate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.