Subject: Some questions after first few plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all.

I've played a couple of 2 hero solo games and I think things are starting to click. The core mechanics are actually quite straight-forward once you get your head around them, however I have a few questions I hope people may be able to help answer.

1) Are Venda's 'Ruthless Taunt' basic or advanced cards? They are listed as basic but them have a cost to them. As she doesn't have any other cost 1 advanced feats I'm assuming they should actually be advanced cards, but just looking for clarification.

2) As I understand Reflex Actions, they can be played at any time and during any phase as long as they don't interrupt a card draw. Does this mean if I draw a reflex card that can do damage (such as Arani's 'Fist of Dawn') during the Draw part of my turn, I can use that card during the Defence Phase, effectively getting in a cheeky hit before the foes can retaliate?

3) On encounters that require a certain foe to be present, such as a hunter in 'The Hunter' encounter, is that required card considered part of the starting foes or in addition to them? For example I needed to draw 5 foes, so would the hunter be included in that 5 or would he be considered a 6th foe?

4) The Wildlands Shaman's power 'Dark Presence' reduces the number of cards drawn. Does that (and similar powers) effect any action that uses the word 'draw' or only when a hero is drawing their hand back up to 5?

5) The boss Ghardhak can't be hit by direct damage until certain criteria are met. What exactly counts as direct damage? Venda's 'Ruthless Taunt' inflicts a wound when she taunts a foe to her. Would that count as direct damage?

6) I suspect the answer to this is 'no', but I thought I'd ask anyway. When the party rests, can they redeploy any of their basic equipment from their current deck? I appreciate they can't take things from their discard or buried piles unless it is restored/healed, but to me it seems reasonable to ready your weapons for the next fight?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertjan Horsthuis
Netherlands
Olst
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation

For question 4, what I remember is that The Hunter forces you to draw a certain number of Beast enemies. Then you follow the Set Up rule that forces you to draw an additional card that should be a hunter. Rulebook page 10 under Encounter Set Up bullet 9

Regarding 5, the Quest explains that damage from actions (regular, fast or reflex) are not allowed. Quest guide page 2 under number 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gertjan.

Yes you are correct. After reading that, the hunter would be an additional foe. Although that raises another question; if you drew a hunter during the original monster draw then presumably you wouldn't search for an extra foe? So the number of foes you face is somewhat fluid (in my example it could be either 5 or 6 depending on which foes you drew). Not that that is a problem, just an observation.
(As a minor aside, as I was setting up the encounter I realised I couldn't meet the requirements; there are no 'beasts' in the Wilder monsters. In which case, and with more knowledge of the game, I should have trashed the encounter and drawn a new one.)

Regarding point 5, that's what I thought. So what counts as non-direct damage? Or are they trying to say Ghardhak is immune to damage unless there are no other targets in the same area as him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertjan Horsthuis
Netherlands
Olst
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Regarding q4 maybe you misunderstand the encounter. If you play quest 1 you only use the Wildland locations. You use for the encounters only the cards with Wildlander (e.g The Hunter). You use all enemies of the green deck. The encounter card describes how many enemies to draw. Each enemy you draw should be checked for that keyword "beast" on the encounter enemies (beast for The Hunter) and if it is not present discard it and take another enemy card until you end with three cards with keyword "Beast"
I think you take all enemies described and then follow the set up which for the encounter card The Hunter describes to take an enemy card with keyword "Hunter"
For me it was two times a terrible encounter card that caused me so far losing the game (using this interpretation).

Q5 he is vulnerable to described keywords on the action cards. That will generate a wound on him when it is attacked with a card containing that keyword. Probably you are right and you need to wait until he is alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Bluehammer wrote:
1) Are Venda's 'Ruthless Taunt' basic or advanced cards? They are listed as basic but them have a cost to them. As she doesn't have any other cost 1 advanced feats I'm assuming they should actually be advanced cards, but just looking for clarification.

They are indeed Advanced Feats.

Bluehammer wrote:
2) As I understand Reflex Actions, they can be played at any time and during any phase as long as they don't interrupt a card draw. Does this mean if I draw a reflex card that can do damage (such as Arani's 'Fist of Dawn') during the Draw part of my turn, I can use that card during the Defence Phase, effectively getting in a cheeky hit before the foes can retaliate?

You may, good sir, and you also probably should.

Bluehammer wrote:
3) On encounters that require a certain foe to be present, such as a hunter in 'The Hunter' encounter, is that required card considered part of the starting foes or in addition to them? For example I needed to draw 5 foes, so would the hunter be included in that 5 or would he be considered a 6th foe?

You perform any Special Setup after regular Setup, so this Hunter is an extra Enemy.

Bluehammer wrote:
4) The Wildlands Shaman's power 'Dark Presence' reduces the number of cards drawn. Does that (and similar powers) effect any action that uses the word 'draw' or only when a hero is drawing their hand back up to 5?

"Draw" refers here to Draw Limit specifically. No other draws are affected.

Bluehammer wrote:
5) The boss Ghardhak can't be hit by direct damage until certain criteria are met. What exactly counts as direct damage? Venda's 'Ruthless Taunt' inflicts a wound when she taunts a foe to her. Would that count as direct damage?

Ghardhak cannot be targeted by attacks. Attacks are effects that deal damage, so anything that says deal X damage" (but not places Wound tokens) may not target Ghardhak. Since Ruthless Taint places Wounds, it can target Ghardhak.

Bluehammer wrote:
6) I suspect the answer to this is 'no', but I thought I'd ask anyway. When the party rests, can they redeploy any of their basic equipment from their current deck? I appreciate they can't take things from their discard or buried piles unless it is restored/healed, but to me it seems reasonable to ready your weapons for the next fight?

Well, our Heroes are not always reasonable A Gear card represents not only the physical gear but also the ability to use it. If the card is still in the deck, maybe the bruised hand that usually wields it is almost healed, but not quite yet.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh! You are correct again Gertjan. I was using the location key word to define the enemies instead of the encounter keyword. That should make fights a bit more interesting from now on

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions irondeav

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.