Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been to GenCon before, but only with a four day pass. That's not possible this year, so I'm considering driving down Saturday morning, getting a single day pass and then driving home in the evening.

It's a 4 hour drive, but I may have company. Any advice? Is it a crazy plan? I'm assuming that tickets are infinite and that I won't have to wait too long in line if we don't arrive until 10am. I'm also assuming that I will easily find parking.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Cash
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easily finding parking will be totally dependent on how far from the convention center you are willing to walk. But, by all means, come and have a good time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Trepanier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you elaborate on the parking? I am choosing to drive each day, as I opted for a cheaper hotel about a 20 min drive away from the convention centre. How far away should I be looking? 5 min walk? 10? etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Breeden

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Re: Any advice for a single day attendee
There's a relatively inexpensive outdoor lot on South between Meridian and Illinois that like it was running between 5 and 20 a day depending on when you got there- Before 8am it was 5$ then $10 between 8 and noon then more if started to get crowded. It's about a 10 minute walk- 4 blocks from the main building. You can get closer but pay more if you park in the underground garage on Capitol across from the ICC. It has a cheaper early bird rate but fills up fast- It's about 5 minutes by the time you work your way out of the garage and cross the street.

If you park farther out the garage next to Bankers Life Field House and the Sherrif's office is really cheap and usually uncrowded- but it;'s about a 20 minute hike. I think the access is off of east Maryland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Breeden

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Ian- you can still get your tickets online and pick them up at will call. Might be easier than getting them in the general purchase line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rytrepanier wrote:
Can you elaborate on the parking? I am choosing to drive each day, as I opted for a cheaper hotel about a 20 min drive away from the convention centre. How far away should I be looking? 5 min walk? 10? etc..

Entirely depends on when you get there. In the past two years, I've done the same thing and had no problem parking in a lot across the street from the convention center between 8-9am.

It's not cheap, though - I think I pay $22/day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Trepanier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The exhibition hall opens at 10am, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Cash
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rytrepanier wrote:
The exhibition hall opens at 10am, right?

yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lili Private
msg tools
mb
Also to keep in mind --- Sat is a common meet up and trade/sell day for many people before the 9/10ish time events start. Everyone's schedule is different but many people come in and stay Monday thru Sat or Wed thur Sat and many others arrive either Fri or Sat and stay until Sunday. Sat morn is a good "crossover" time for those coming/going.

There are many places across net including this site/with mathtrade etc. that have "early morning" meet times on Sat to pass used games from person to person--- so even though the actual vendor hall may open at 10 there are many other events including those "informal" trade/swap/sell/meetup events going on --- so don't assume parking lots will be empty until 10 or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The south lot at Lucas Oil Stadium is another option, the entrance is off of Capitol Ave. $10 all day last year. It is about a one block walk to the ICC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Breeden

Indiana
msg tools
mb
SO how did it turn out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up not going. My friends couldn't drive down with me. Maybe I'll get there next year, but I also feel like GenCon requires a level of commitment and planning that I'm unwilling to give it right now.

Did anyone else go for a single day?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
I ended up not going. My friends couldn't drive down with me. Maybe I'll get there next year, but I also feel like GenCon requires a level of commitment and planning that I'm unwilling to give it right now.

Did anyone else go for a single day?
Even when I was within driving distance for those 2 years driving 4 hours one way, I wanted to go for at least for 2 days to make it worth my while. I ended up being able to take vacations days and go for 4 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.