1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » News

Subject: IRW Vrax Preview up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.startrek.com/article/attack-wing-wave-17-i-r-w-vr...

As expected, it has Time Token versions of both Photons and Plasmas (so look for new Quantums and Photons on the Thunderchild I guess?). Also as someone (I think it was Kobold?) predicted, there's a way of messing with the Time Tokens in Bridge Officer.

Overall, nothing that appears overtly amazing, but looks like a solid release for the Romulans.

I like that they are clearly intending it to be the 2nd Valdore from Nemesis. That's what the mission is and a couple of the upgrades are themed off of that. Will be interesting how they make this mission different than the previous two based off the same event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Seery
msg tools
As a primarily Romulan player, a big 'meh' from me.

The ship ability is weak. Suran is ok, Velal not bad. Coordinated attack is a weaker version of Barrage of Fire. Tal@aura seems way too situational. Flanking attack is too expensive for a discard.

Super-disappointed at not getting a tech slot too! And still no Romulan with a free action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrax seems good for a Romulan Helmsman to be assigned to for the maneuvering advantages.

Coordinated attack is a good talent for a faction with Romulan Commander in it, also for Lore in general.

The Time Token weapons have me thinking of an Enterprise-E with Quantums, Photons, and Plasmas, just firing off torpedoes every turn, APTs or otherwise. Assuming they'll release time token variants of Quantums, of course. Might not be terribly effective but it's fun to imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Romulan Helmsman doesn't pair with the ship ability as it requires you reveal a red maneuver.

In this case you are revealing a white maneuver and then changing to a red maneuver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
also for Lore in general

I'm glad I'm not the only one who instantly thinks of Lore when I see restricted talents like that...

Quote:
Coordinated attack is a weaker version of Barrage of Fire.

I'm not sure that's true. Its a different way of doing things, not necessarily weaker. For example, it doesn't give you aux like BoF. Will it require a good build to be effective with? Probably.

Quote:
Flanking attack is too expensive for a discard.

While yes its a 6 point discard, remember that its a 6-die attack and you don't need to spend a TL to use (so its available for re-rolling - or it can be used against someone who cannot be TL'd) and your opponent gets -1 defense. With that in mind, I'm not quite willing to write it off till I've tried it out. Its got potential.

Quote:
Assuming they'll release time token variants of Quantums

I'm certain they will. Both the T'Ong and Vrax got 2 time token weapons updates, and 1 other upgrade that dealt with time tokens. I expect the same from the Thunderchild. Being Dominion War-era, Quantums would make sense as its 2nd weapon - and really what else would the Federation use after Photons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coma Toes
msg tools
It's a shame Coordinated Attack isn't a free attack. A 5 point discard and -1 dice just to shoot a bit sooner seems pretty situational.

I'm glad to see the Bridge Officer mechanic arriving with the introduction of Time Tokens. I wonder if there'll be another card that removes a second Time Token, so we can have an (appropriately costed) equivalent to the Lojur combos for firing every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
comatoes_ wrote:
It's a shame Coordinated Attack isn't a free attack. A 5 point discard and -1 dice just to shoot a bit sooner seems pretty situational.

So Salatrel, Shinzon, and Gareb (hiding Valdore and using Coordinated attack) all shoot before the enemy fleet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:
Romulan Helmsman doesn't pair with the ship ability as it requires you reveal a red maneuver.

In this case you are revealing a white maneuver and then changing to a red maneuver.

But he could be used on, say the next turn, if you wanted to follow it up with a come about, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I'm concerned, Plasmas and Bridge Officer on the Gal Gath'thong is the most exciting possibility for the Time mechanic so far (but yeah, we'll see what happens next week).

The rest of it is interesting but not terribly powerful, which is fine because the Romulans need interesting more than they need powerful right now.

The only thing I'm disappointed about is that the ship has the same slots as the Valdore and a much worse ability. But the generic Valdore has seen enough use that there's clearly still a place for a 4/2/6/2-3. (edit: actually, one thing I'll say for the ability is that it gives Tal'Aura a slightly wider effective range, assuming you have a way of dealing with that aux. (Refit Scotty? Kind of expensive...))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorpenguin wrote:
As a primarily Romulan player, a big 'meh' from me.

The ship ability is weak. Suran is ok, Velal not bad. Coordinated attack is a weaker version of Barrage of Fire. Tal@aura seems way too situational. Flanking attack is too expensive for a discard.

Suran is pretty solid, actually. Especially if you (thematically++) fly him next to Donatra, who wants to stay at range 1, anyway.

Get +1 attack dice, and guaranteed (unmodifiable) crit out of it (because why would you choose anything BUT a crit result?). Think of him this way - he's like Toreth, but instead of converting a hit to a crit, he can convert a *blank* to a crit (as long as he's in range 1 of a friendly ship).

Velal is...hmmm. Two (unmodified) defense dice are generally only likely to yield 'at least one' evade result 75% of the time, with two evades only about 12.5% of the time...he takes that up to 100% change of a single evade result and 0% chance of a double, so...ehhhh...I dunno. If it was a free action, he might be worth it. Otherwise, I really can't see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
I find the pack very underwhelming. But I compare every Romulan expansion with the Haakona expansion now

The ship is meh. It still doesn't have a Tech slot and the ability is very situational since it's limited to exactly a 4 forward.

Suran not very strong. He's basically "Action: Set 1 attack die to a Crit" with restrictions. It's OK but there are better Actions to take I think.
The Admiral is nice, however he is eclipsed by Mendak in my fleet.

Coordinated Attack is OK, Flanking Attack is pretty nice actually. Tal'Aura is Action-Discard for 5 at range 3 only. Too expensive and too restrictive for my taste. She's amazing though if she hits.

Time Token thing for the Romulans as well. Bridge Officer is obviously very cool in combination. I really hope you can remove a Time Token with an action.

All in all nothing spectacular. Please save us Talvath and Pi Also only 100 or so days to go until Scorpion Fighters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I think it's a pack worth getting if you like Romulans, or have use for them via Officer Exchange Program. I plan to get it, although the ability on the named ship is truly, truly awful. So bad that I won't even justify taking the named version because "2 points is just the shield cost, getting the ability is effectively free."

At the risk of sounding like a grump, I'm a little annoyed at all the secondary weapons with restricted ranges. Between limited arcs, restricted ranges--it's no wonder they're only used in carefully crafted builds. With Dorsal Phasers and Cloaked Mines out there, who's going to use secondaries that require your opponent to fly right where you want them?

OK, rant over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, there are some fun things in the pack. It would be nice if Velal's ability is NOT and action on the captain side. As an admiral kinda meh, but as a captain ok-ish. For one point more Mendak is better skill boost and giving out BS, for 2 points less Hiren gives the same bonus.

The Bridge officer is great, I love all the generic crew Romulans have. Tal'Aura has some potential. I'm not crazy over Coordinated Attack, but hell I'd give it to Shinzon and see what happens.

Flanking Attack is pricy but it could be good on the Gal Gothong with recharging plasma torps. Or boost it to 7 dice on the Valdor, With Tactical Officer and Mendak and Donatra flying near by, there are worse combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
XanderF wrote:
Think of him this way - he's like Toreth, but instead of converting a hit to a crit, he can convert a *blank* to a crit

He's an Action though.

XanderF wrote:
Two (unmodified) defense dice are generally only likely to yield 'at least one' evade result 75% of the time, with two evades only about 25% of the time

I don't think that's correct. You only have a 37.5% chance to roll an evade with 1 die, so how can you have a 25% chance to roll 2 evade with 2 dice? I'm not sure on the math and I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
XanderF wrote:

Velal is...hmmm. Two (unmodified) defense dice are generally only likely to yield 'at least one' evade result 75% of the time, with two evades only about 25% of the time...he takes that up to 100% change of a single evade result and 0% chance of a double, so...ehhhh...I dunno. If it was a free action, he might be worth it. Otherwise, I really can't see it.

Um, two evades on those two dice are a 3/8 * 3/8 chance, which is a lot worse than 25%. Unmodified Attack dice would be a 25% chance of double success.

You're right about the action being a steep cost, but looking just at the dice, trading two defense dice for a guaranteed evade is smart. But other cards give this effect without costing an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Velal is...hmmm. Two (unmodified) defense dice are generally only likely to yield 'at least one' evade result 75% of the time, with two evades only about 25% of the time...he takes that up to 100% change of a single evade result and 0% chance of a double, so...ehhhh...I dunno. If it was a free action, he might be worth it. Otherwise, I really can't see it.

The thing that I do like about him, as compared to other defensive action cards that I can think of (I'm looking at you Advanced Shields...), is he does work on every defense roll so its at least better than just taking an evade.

Quote:
You're right about the action being a steep cost, but looking just at the dice, trading two defense dice for a guaranteed evade is smart. But other cards give this effect without costing an action.

I'm wondering if he might be useful to bring him along to give your support ship some resiliency while also boosting your main ship's CS, as giving up the action on your support could be less of an issue.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, Plasmas and Bridge Officer on the Gal Gath'thong is the most exciting possibility for the Time mechanic so far (but yeah, we'll see what happens next week).

That does sound fun, but yeah, I'm hopeful for the Time Token Quantums having something interesting to do with them (or... just going with the Bridge Officer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainShran wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Think of him this way - he's like Toreth, but instead of converting a hit to a crit, he can convert a *blank* to a crit

He's an Action though.

Oh, derp, somehow I missed that.

Wow, he kinda sucks then. The comparison to Toreth (also a 4-pt captain) seemed to work, as he had the advantage of being able to convert a blank instead of a hit to a crit result... but had the disadvantage of being skill-6 instead of skill-7 and requiring not only another ship to be in the game, still, but also be CLOSE, so... slight advantage, double-slight-disadvantage, seemed like a wash so the same cost made sense...

But, yeah, requiring an action on top of that? *Ouch*. Yeah, he's no good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like he could make the smaller ships interesting. On a science vessel or generic scout his ability is tantamount to the world's best target lock, turning it into an a sniping pest along the lines of a Decker Equinox. ...More fragile, mind you--unless you sink extra points into tech, which probably isn't worth it--but those tiny Romulan ships shouldn't have too much trouble staying outside of most of the arcs while still being within range of a friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll need more time to have a real look at what we've got here but my first thought is that I can finally have the battle from Star Trek Nemesis with all 4 ships being proper named ships and create a crazy 150+ point Scimitar Dreadnought to battle the Enterprise E, Valdore and Vrax in a very thematic battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:
I'll need more time to have a real look at what we've got here but my first thought is that I can finally have the battle from Star Trek Nemesis with all 4 ships being proper named ships and create a crazy 150+ point Scimitar Dreadnought to battle the Enterprise E, Valdore and Vrax in a very thematic battle.

Hopefully that's how the mission is set up. The version from the Scimitar was a bit lacking I felt.

Makes me wonder about the Thunderchild actually. It's only on-screen appearance was First Contact's battle with the cube. Wonder if we get a non OP iteration of that now. Could be interesting. Hmm,other than timed torpedoes, what could they possibly put with it. It might have to just be like the Saber class....grab bag of random Fed that they haven't used elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
MaximumDT wrote:

We have tried this before the Vrax expansion. I the Scimitar had flagship on it in order to get enough slots to hit 100SP. It was actually a pretty close match though.

34 IRW Valdore/Donatra
28 Valdore class
43 Enterprise-E/Picard8/DPA

Upgrade to Vrax with Suran and we have 111 total. Just running through stuff in my head, I think I can get a ship pure Flagship Scimitar up to 109.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know if you put Flanking Attack on Khazara with Rekar and have Donatra with Mendak on a near by ship it's not a bad alpha strike. 9 dice with a TL and BS will make a dent in most things. Plus you can fire it against cloaked ships without the TL. Of course if you are trying to put that many points into boosting a 6 die secondary you could just take the Scimitar and fire 6+ dice every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me until now to realize that we have two Flanking Attacks now. That seems...potentially more annoying than all the EMPs and Tactical Officers and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah something else like Disruptor Burst or Out Flank would have been better and less cconfusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my Vrax and I have to say it looks even better in person. Very impressive WK, very impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.