Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dut Nichols
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused about how (or how often) the PanaBot gets paid.

If I understand correctly, the Bot gets paid by the bank for (among other things):
1. Pips on dice exiting the canal
2. Dividends paid for shares he owns at the end of each round
3. Shares he sells at game end

Whereas cash flow for the human player looks like this:
1. Bank pays company for pips on dice exiting the canal
2. Company pays human for dividends paid for shares at end of each round
3. Bank pays human for shares sold at game end.

So #3 is the same for both players. #1 works out being the same because of the Offshore Accounts FA card. But #2 is where I have concerns. This money would just be passed between company and player for the human, but ADDED to the Bot by the bank. If I'm correct, this is a huge advantage for the Bot. Am I understanding this correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luuk Van Aken
Canada
Lacombe
Alberta
flag msg tools
Yes that is an advantage for panabot, but one major disadvantage he has is that his action die is chosen randomly by a d6 roll, even though sometimes it is better to take a different action. But since you are playing solo anyways you can just change the rules to how you see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
More questions!

I'm having serious problems understanding how the Bot takes his turn (probably because I just finished a night shift).

First off, does the Bot discard action dice? I'm guessing he does, but there really isn't anything about that on the PDF. If he does, do I roll a d6 to see which column he chooses? I'm also assuming that the Bot chooses the lowest value die, as per the rules.

If the Bot does an Executive action, does an action die get discarded? If so, do I roll to see which die it is? And I'm guess that this is supposed to go against the rule that Executive dice can't be chosen until all the other dice in that column are gone.

What happens if, I do in fact roll to choose columns, there is no die for that column? I believe I keep rolling until a column he can choose is rolled. What happens if there are no action dice to choose from?

According to the flowchart, if the Bot ends up doing a move or a contract/load, the first thing he does is take a contract if he can (based on available die and number of incomplete contracts already owned). I'm assuming if that's the case, I would roll a die to choose the contract/loading die. Or, do I choose the best option for the Bot?

The rules often say that "lowest value always breaks ties". Does that refer to the size of ships/contracts? For example, if the Bot can load a single die onto one of two contracts, will it default to the contract with the least number of slots? Same with ships?

I think that's a good start for now.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do check out enzo622's video in the "Video" section, which I think you'll find most helpful. After watching that, the original post and the flowchart by travisdhill in the "Files" section should make better sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin -- did things get sufficiently clarified for you?

The PanaBot plays rather like another player, just using a D6 to choose among available Actions (i.e., columns with at least one white die), which depends upon where the white Action dice are placed for the current round. He discards the selected die just like you do, and takes that Action by following the pertinent priority sequence as specified. This holds true for Executive Actions as well, except that he then uses that D6 to choose which of those possible Executive Actions he will take.

You can "adjust" the D6 die roll to more efficiently accommodate the number of options available (e.g., if only 3 columns presently have available Action dice, go with 12/34/56), and if there are no Action dice out, the round ends as usual. When the term "smallest" is used, it is referring literally to the size (i.e., number of slots) of the ship.

I strongly recommend you work with the original post to get a handle on how the PanaBot plays, after which the available flowchart by Travis can prove helpful in guiding you through the overall flow of the game in a streamlined manner.

Hopefully this proves helpful -- I apologize for my previous rather quick and lazy response pointing you toward enzo622's excellent video (which I hope you did check out and find helpful?). Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions should they arise, and do let me know how it's going?

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the follow up!

I did watch the video, and it helped out a lot.

I've been able to play it once with the Bot, and it seemed to work well. I'm still unsure on a few small points, the biggest is the "lowest value always breaks ties". I'm going on the assumption that it's the die value (ie. can load a single die from a choice of two, picks the lowest valued die).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are most welcome -- glad it's beginning to "smooth out" for you.

I am somewhat confused by this "lowest value always breaks ties" part, which I just can't find anywhere in my original post of this variant (which I've recently edited a bit to clarify a few more points) -- where exactly is that from? Perhaps Travis' flowchart?

So, if I'm following your example correctly (the PanaBot has 2 cargo dice of different values, and only one load action, so he can load only one?), then that is not considered a tie -- you would focus on the higher value die of those two as usual, and work through the priority sequence from there (going to the second one only if the first one just cannot be loaded anywhere at this time).

But, again, I'm still puzzled by that "lowest value always breaks ties" thing, and thus unsure as to whether or not I'm understanding your question correctly.

Anyway, thanks so much for your response. Do not hesitate to get back to me with any further clarification of that issue noted above, or any additional questions which may arise.

Great game. Using all the noted "tweaks" to strengthen the PanaBot for the first time, I squeaked out a 90-87 win right at the very end of the final round (thought I was beat, for sure!) thanks to a Stevedore card which saved my company just enough on cargo fees so it could pay out dividends to me and thus allow me to receive the final Managing Director Award. Whew!

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll look at the notes I have and see if I can find that phrase. I'm sure I didn't just make it up, but I wouldn't put it past me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that phrase is from Travis' flowchart, and is what threw me also.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColintheFlea wrote:
I think that phrase is from Travis' flowchart, and is what threw me also.

Colin

So I'm not crazy! About this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.