Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

New Haven is a game that looks to be dripping with theme, but it isn't. The game is really beautiful with great components, but the theme doesn't really come through. Instead, you will try to gather exactly the number of resources you need to build what you want to build to score points.

In New Haven, you are trying to develop the land to build a settlement. Goods are shared in the community, so you don't want to develop more than you need or you will help your opponents. This leads to interesting decisions in regards to production: is it better to over develop or under develop? I might not score as many points as I can, but my opponent can't score a few extra. Does that negate my extra scoring? Good question and good decisions.

The components are top notch and really try to bring the theme alive. The core game is a tile laying game to get resources. You only have two possible tiles to choose from (each player is given an additional wild tile that can be used once per game).

New Haven is a fine game, but nothing great. I wouldn't keep it except my wife and I can play a game rather quickly (under an hour) and we end the night with a good experience. This is fine for our experiences, but it is also likely a game we will tire of at some point.

I can recommend this game for much, but I would advise trying before buying.

Keeper. For a while longer.

Components:

Wood/plastic: All the tokens are made of cardboard and are very thick. The tiles are also cardboard and very good quality. The icons used are easy to understand and utilize.

Cards: N/A

Art: The art is very colorful and very appealing to the eye. The icons used match what they are and come in many different colors which help the eye see it quickly. The player screens have the same art on them. Good art, but great use of color.

Board: The board is thick and has different areas for 2 player and 4 player. The board is abstract and used to just lay tiles.

Type of money/vp: Each player gets an individual scoring board. It is very easy to us and to score the game (score at end of game).

Final Grade: The components are better than what most abstract games give us. I really enjoy the use of dark colors and I like the quality of the components. Between this game and Coal Baron, R and R Games are really upgrading their components.

Rule Book:

Color/B/W: Color

Pictures of components: Yes

Picture of game set up: Yes

Pictures included: Yes

Example of playing the game: No

How long to read the book: 10-15 Minutes

Player Aid: No

The rules are simple to digest and understand. The book uses the pictures in a great manner to teach the game. The game is simple and the pictures make scoring very easy. This is a good rule book that I didn't have any issues with.

Flow of the Game:

Goal of the Game:

The goal of the game is to score the most number of points/colonist.

How it plays:

The game plays over a number of rounds where you place a tile to gather resources of which you can spend to construct buildings in your village.

A turn:

1. Play a tile: You will play a tile to the board. Each tile has a possibility of 1-4 different icons on it. They will line up (or not) with other icons on the board.

2. Determine Resources: You get a resource for each resource listed on the tile you played. In addition, you get one that matches by connection each icon to the ones on the tile you played. Ex: if your tile has a sheep on it and that sheep is connected to more sheep, you will get a sheep for each sheep connected (it must be connected to the tile and specifically the sheep icon).

3. Construct Buildings: You can build your buildings. Buildings come in different colors. The buildings will also have a number on it. ex: If your building is Red 5: you will need 5 red resources to build the building.

4. Share the Wealth: Any resouces you do not use this round can now be used by your opponents in turn order to build buildings (don't over harvest!).

5. Draw Buildings: You now get a number of buildings equal to how many of the resources are not sitting at zero (either you used it all or produced none for the round). There are 5 buildings face up of which the first selection must come from and there after you may take a face up building or select a random building from the bag.

6. End of Turn: All resources are returned to zero and the current player draws a new tile to replace the one he played this round.

---------------------------------------------------------

Scoring:

It is important to note how scoring works. I'll do my best to give you an understanding of it although it is quite visual.

On your board, you have 5 columns numbered up and down 1-6 and 5 rows each in order (the bottom is all 1's, the second is all 2's and so forth).

At the ends of the row and column is a number of people that will be scored if the entire row/column is completed. You only score if the entire row/column is filled up.

When you place these buildings you can place them face up or face down (for reasons). If they are all face up (which is harder to do), then you will score double the number of population (VP).

I've likely done a poor job of explaining this, but it is very simple to understand with pictures.

----------------------------------------------------------------

There is a variant included on the other side of the board. This allows the game board to begin with ponds on it which serve zero purpose other than to block unusable to develop. Buildings are also placed on the board and if you build there you automatically get the building.

* There is also a variant to build over builings you have already built (this makes the game easier).

Should I buy this game?:

This is a fine little abstract that my wife and I have had fun playing. I would recommend this for gamers who don't mind a pasted on theme, but a very beautuiful one. This game plays great two players (or up to 4). It isn't a very heavy game, but you get to lay some times and build some buildings. Fun, little game. More than a filler, but maybe an opener game.

Keeper. For a while.

*The images posted with this review are not mine and are images I found on BGG. If you click on the image, you can see who posted it to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves this game. I have read here on BGG that some people call it a "puzzle" game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.