13 Posts

The Undercity: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this game support solo play? Does anyone know? It sounds like it is purely cooperative so one would think that at the very least you could just run all the characters yourself. I don't know how hard that would be to manage... As solo game play continues to increase in popularity I would have thought that they would have listed it as compatible with 1 player if it is possible (makes the game have more potential buyers) so I wonder if there is some reason that solo play does not work well. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple check of the website states it supports 2-4 players
http://privateerpress.com/iron-kingdoms/board-games/the-unde...

The game has to be played with 4 heroes, no matter how many players
From the rulebook:
Quote:
The Undercity can be played by two, three, or four players. With two players, each player controls two heroes. With three or four players, each player controls one hero.

I guess you could run it solo and control all four heroes yourself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
JoyrexJ9 wrote:

From the rulebook:
Quote:
The Undercity can be played by two, three, or four players. With two players, each player controls two heroes. With three or four players, each player controls one hero.

Isn't this a contradicion ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
Wales
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
JoyrexJ9 wrote:

Isn't this a contradicion ?

Not really, playing a game solo means there is one player not one character.

Most solitaire wargames for example have you playing a squad (or bigger force) with the game mechanics controlling the enemy.

The usual constraint on solo suitability in games where you play more than one character verses the game mechanics is hand management but many solo players don't mind this, in fact some love having to manage multiple hands.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoyrexJ9 wrote:

From the rulebook:
Quote:

I read that that with 3 players there would be 3 heroes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I have read the online PDF of the rules and it APPEARS that one could play all the characters themselves in solo. since I have not seen the campaign book I do not know if there is some competitive or "hidden traitor" or "teams" aspects later in the campaign that would prevent easy solo play.. Anyone know anything about that? It says it is coo-op, but sometimes games are actually "semi-co-op"

As others have stated above I too read where there is the possibility of only 3 heroes being in the game if there are 3 players, but 4 heroes if 2 players (each player plays 2 heroes) or 4 players (each player plays one hero) and 3 heroes if 3 players (each player playing 1 hero). Not sure if that is a typo as nothing in rulebook mentions scaling if only 3 heroes instead of 4. If it is not a typo I would infer it is balanced enough to play with only 3 heroes (which would be a little bit easier from a solo player's hand management perspective). If the game allows 2 players to each play 2 heroes then one would think that 1 player could play 3 or 4 heroes and make it work unless, as I stated earlier, there is some competitive, team or "hidden traitor" elements in the campaign book that have yet to be disclosed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
In a co-op game number of players is nobody's business. Number of roles can be specified, but normal co-ops are inherently soloable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Played the first two chapters solo this weekend. Plays beautiful with all four heroes. Since the heroes activate in initiative order there is a good flow to the game (i.e. structure to the activations). The only real complexity is keeping an eye on 12 feat cards (three with each hero).

The feat cards add great tactical considerations so you need to remember to keep an eye on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Nicholls
United Kingdom
Redruth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes i think solo needs a bit more guidance from the publishers, maybe in terms of balance if a player doesn't want to control all four characters. I know many solo-ers who get that solo feeling by controlling one character, so guidance around whether this is realistic is needed from the 'horses mouth'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Mechanically the game should scale easily for fewer players...spawning and villain activation is relative to # of players.

But I think the structure of the story driven chapters might not work. Chapter 2 for example which has you intercepting different villains for interrogation would be pretty lackluster if you scaled it down a single enemy to be stopped to win (and most likely impossible if you kept it with three or four as indicated in the setup rules).

Personally, one of the strengths of the game system is how you coordinate actions amongst multiple heroes (positioning to deal with villain activations, feats and abilities that work on teammates, etc). For me, I don't see the game being very entertaining with a single hero. Personal taste though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Henderson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are rules/procedures in the campaign book for adjusting the difficulty. No reason you cannot follow those to make it easier for 1-2 hero's to do, controlled by one player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I like playing coop games with one hero each, so we tried Undercity with just 2 heroes (one each).

It worked for the first few chapters just fine, but the chapters increase in difficulty and one of the ways they do this is requiring different things be done strategically in different locations in a short time.

This *requires* more than 2 heroes to accomplish. We had to give up on Chapter 5 because we needed at least 3 or better 4 heroes to get to the locations needed to win in a timely manner. We just couldn't accomplish it with only 2 heroes who cannot be everywhere at once.

I think 1, 2,or 3 players with 3 or 4 heroes, or 4 players with all 4 heroes, would work fine. But playing with just a single hero or just 2 heroes won't work well for the later, more complex chapters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
A bit of thread necromancy here, but I've just played my first two games solo.

I controlled all four heroes, and when a targeting priority listed player to your left, I simply used the hero whose character card was literally to the left of the active heroes' card.

A virtual seating order. But that's the only adjustment I've had to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.