Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: How are the neweest expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I have the main game, dark city, and the fantastic four expansions. How are the other expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I think F4 is definitely the worst expansion (though Galactus is really cool).
Dark City is good cuz it has a lot of stuff (and it was the first expansion), but aside from that nothing really stands out about it.
I think Paint the Town Red and Guardians of the Galaxy are the two best expansions. PtTR has probably the two best masterminds in the game. Star Lord and The mastermind Thanos (and the infinity gems) from GotG are really great.
Villains core set is good cuz it's also a buttload of new stuff. It's a little more "confrontational" than regular. Some of the characters are pretty good, but there were a number that I was pretty disappointed in. Oh yeah, the playmat is great.
Fear Itself plays really well, but having to google who each of the characters is really killed the mood for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I will probably stay away from the villains and fear itself stuff unless it gets to the table more. I would rather stick with the heroes. I will look into Guardians and Paint the Town Red though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I will slightly disagree with the above. I would put Paint the Town Red below Fantastic 4.

But to answer your question, can't say much without knowing a bit more about how you play. Solo? With other people? How many give or take?
Do you play more cooperatively? competitively? How do you take the PvP aspect?

So just in general:

Guardians of the Galaxy -
Masterminds are great, villains are good (gems are great, kree are meh), Heroes are great (except for Rocket which is a huge let down). The shards and artifact mechanics are a lot of fun.

Paint the Town Red - Masterminds are great. Villains are good (Carnage are great, Sinister 6 is meh). Heroes are a snoozefest.
Blackcat is the worst hero in the game possibly. Spiderwoman is nice for some dipping but not more than that. Her rare is the worst in the game. Black spidey, scralet spidey and moonknight are okay, but nothing to write to home about.
Wall crawl mechanic is nice, but again, it's not something completely new (See: Daredevil)

Villains - Brings a lot of stuff as its a big expansion. But a LOT of it is uneeded, like the extra starting hands. It does bring you extra henchmen which is something I think the game lacks.
The masterminds are cool, the villains are okay and the heroes are rather okay. Not a lot of new stuff other than the dodge ones. Bullseye is probably the biggest hype.

Fear Itself - Worst expansion so far. The mastermind and villain are the best thing about this set. Having the whole "random" attack value is very interesting and puts the tension on.
But other than that? Despite getting an extra hero, there isn't much going on there and a lot of them are "meh" at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Banzon
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of heroes, Dark City will be your most diverse set. Probably the best expansion set yet. Okay, maybe MMs, too. Fantastic Four came at a time when people were still easing into Legendary, so I understand the slight disappointment. On to the stuff!

PTR is a let down, but I sure do love Carnage. Plus Mysterio is a good MM for a light gimmicky affair. Better Spidey but other heroes are disappointing (Moon Knight didn't feel psycho enough, BC is a weak set, Scarlet is least terrible and quite useful.)

Villains is good for mixing, but the characters can be counterproductive (think Loki uncommon productive. I hate that card.) Interesting Commanders because they're not as aggressive as the Heroes' MMs. Better Officers and Playmat, too.

GOTG presents a great challenge in Thanos but also provides new mechanisms in the form of shards and artifacts. The persistence provided by these cards shift the dynamics of most plays. Without a doubt my favorite small set. Star Lord and Gamora stand out, but Groot is also great. You also don't need the rares as badly as the other sets.

Can't say much about Fear Itself because I don't have a personal copy. Strangely enough, it reminds me of TTR: Europe. I like the ideas in the box, not so much the weird set arrangement (just Iron Man?) Thrown Artifacts should have been in as early as GOTG (and Artifacts should have been in as early as the base!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should also add that Secret Wars is being released soon (possibly end of this week, I know they'll have copies at GenCon, not sure about retail).

The set is a big expansion, like Dark City, that will offer a whole mess of new stuff. It also includes a new mode of play, allowing one player to play as the Mastermind with his own mechanics and such. It looks very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Wow, I can't believe the hate Paint the Town Red is receiving. I mean that's totally fine, eveybody has their opinions.
In defense of PtTR, I really like Black Cat, and I think Spider-Woman's rare is one of my favorite cards in the game. And Spider-Woman herself is my fourth favorite character in the game* (gamplay-wise).
Carnage is my favorite mastermind in the game, and Mysterio is way up there too (sure he has a gimmick, but it works well and it's REALLY thematic)

*(out of 66 that are currently in the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally of the expansions that are out I like Villains the best since it adds a ton of additional characters, let you mix and match or play as the bad guys versus the good guys, and adds the New Recruit cards which are pretty great. The other Marvel expansion are all kind of the same to me, just basically new characters to play with (Guardians adds the Shards but that's kind of a minor addition on par with other card mechanics.) The only Marvel expansion that's out that I haven't gotten is Fear Itself since I honestly thought that whole "The Mighty" story line was pretty dumb and I have pretty much no interest in playing with The Worthy or Uru Iron Man, etc.

The new Secret Wars expansion though looks pretty interesting since it adds rules to allow one person to play the Mastermind versus everyone else. I'll be really curious to try that mode out and see how it plays.

And on a tangent, if I were to pick a group or storyline I'd love to see either Dark Avengers or Thunderbolts as a small box expansion to kind of fit in between the base game and Villains. There are a ton of characters in both comics that haven't been done yet. If I were to guess though I'm betting they'll continue to try and tie future expansions to the cinematic universe releases, so maybe we'll see a Civil War expansion with the New Warriors and other characters from that plot line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like all the expansions so far.

Dark City and Villains are the best because of the mechanics and content they offer. New Recruits, Special Bystanders, and tons of MM, Villains, and Henchmen - best by far.

F4 is actually my favorite small box. Mr. Fantastic, Thing, and Invisible Woman are phenomenal.

Guardians is cool. Rocket is underwhelming, but his commons are insanely useful. His uncommon is one of the worst in the game. Its best use IMO is preventing Drax from making you discard artifacts.

PTTR is only low on my list because Spidey and Black Cat are really only useful together. W/ Base Spidey and Elektra, they rule. But you kind of have to play them together. I love Mysterio and Carnage. Carnage is incredibly hard in schemes that hinge on KO's like Eq generator.

I was surprised how much I liked Fear Itself. Thrown artifacts are a ton of fun. Lots of inventive mechanics. I'd say it's maybe the least essential due to the characters, but I prefer the gameplay over PTTR.

Overall:

Dark City > Villains > F4 > Gotg > FI/PTTR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
To Tomer. I never play this game solo. Its normally with 3 players. 3 seems like the ideal spot. Sometimes 4 players. Thanks everyone for the responses. I will still probably stay away from the villain stuff for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been contemplating on getting Villains just to have more "heroes" options and henchmen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor nelson
msg tools
mb
I'd say you have the best sets but heres how The rest of the sets feel to me, gameplay-wise:

PTTR: As everyone has mentioned, the villains and masterminds are great, particularly in mid - large group settings since they tend to let everyone build their deck a bit more. But the heroes are some of the weakest in the game and also dont work well with any other set for mixing so I consider it my least favorite.

GOTG: Great set and would be my favorite... if the shards werent so fiddly. Heroes are really strong and the villains/masterminds are challenging. Playing them feels very much like the FF set (only stockpiling fight shards rather than money). The biggest ding in my book is how annoying the actual shards are. This set tends to not hit the table simply because people dont want to handle shard (not what I expected). Half this set works well mixed with everything else while the other half relies to much shards and artifacts to be able to combo with anyone else.

Villains: This set is worth it just for the mat, new recruits and madame hydras. The adversaries and commanders are very challenging and the almost all the allies work well with any other set. This is just over DC for me, mostly because I will not play on the old board and almost every game I play has something from this set.

Fear Itself: This set feels like it came with its own minigame in the form of thrown artifacts (which is off putting to some people I play with). Probably the best commander/always leads combo so far (really fun) and interesting group plots. Like GOTG, half the allies rely to much on the artifacts to splash well while the other half can work with any set. This set also adds to the strength(green) based characters, which I always felt was the weakest/smallest as a whole.

Secret Wars: Finally the set coming out in a couple days. From everything we've seen, this seems more advanced then DC. It seems like they're going for the same feel as the villains set(more player interaction) with things like one vs all gameplay and cross dimensional rampage. Its hard to gauge if this will fit more with the heroes set or the villains set, but if it doesn't have something like new recruits or a new mat I'd recommend the villains box instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dugman wrote:

And on a tangent, if I were to pick a group or storyline I'd love to see either Dark Avengers or Thunderbolts as a small box expansion to kind of fit in between the base game and Villains.

You can always try this on for size...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1401076/dan-hogans-customs-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guardians of the Galaxy is a must-have. Cool heroes, awesome schemes, Thanos as mastermind... The shards make the game a little fiddly though, so if you're the sort of player who is sensitive to "fiddliness", you might not like it as much as I do.

Paint the Town Red is very good, but not great. Wall-Crawl mechanism really changes how you play the game, so if you're looking for a card mechanism to keep the game fresh, look no further. Mysterio as a mastermind is very challenging. He's probably the best thing in the box. Sinister Six Villain Group is a close second. The schemes are kind of disappointing. They're OK, just not great. If you like the heroes in this set, definitely get it, but, if you're not a big Spider-Verse fan, you could probably skip it.

Fear Itself: Not worth it unless you have and enjoy Legendary: Villains, IMHO.

Secret Wars, Volume 1: To be determined. It's a big box expansion like Dark City, so it's much anticipated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
dugman wrote:

And on a tangent, if I were to pick a group or storyline I'd love to see either Dark Avengers or Thunderbolts as a small box expansion to kind of fit in between the base game and Villains.

I'm sure that's fine but print and play is a pain in the butt, I think I'll just stick with what I have and hope they do an official expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dugman wrote:
thedaninblack wrote:
dugman wrote:

I'm sure that's fine but print and play is a pain in the butt, I think I'll just stick with what I have and hope they do an official expansion.

Just throwing it out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
dugman wrote:
thedaninblack wrote:
dugman wrote:

Just throwing it out there.

Don't get me wrong, if I was into print and play I'd be all over the great mod scene in Legendary, there's a ton of unofficial stuff for it. Just not my bag is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.