6 Posts

Rum & Bones» Forums » Rules

Subject: Swapping pirates in reserve? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Knees
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read through the rules prior to receiving my copy of the game, so I can jump straight in and play.

One rules question, is there any way to swap your active pirates with any of the ones in reserve? Or is this only possible if one is "KO'd"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the rules have changed since the kickstarter campaign was active, it's only when they are KO'd.

You can't just swap them out at will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt **
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I immediately thought that this should be a rule and was disappointed when it was not. In the 2 games I played. those first 3 heroes did a majority of the work and 1 hero never got on board to play (sad) and the other hero showed up on the last turn and just ran towards the action. I want it to feel like a 5 hero game and not a 3 hero game.

The house rule I would try the next time I play.

1. Hero that is 2 or more zones from an enemy may use all 3 actions and remaining gold to go back into reserve.

2. all wounds on hero would remain with them and be present if/when they return to active status.

the 2 zones would keep heroes from getting close to death and then popping out to safety.

I also think when a hero is knocked overboard they should have an option to "tag out" and let another hero take their place in the following turn. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaplainSeverus wrote:
I immediately thought that this should be a rule and was disappointed when it was not. In the 2 games I played. those first 3 heroes did a majority of the work and 1 hero never got on board to play (sad) and the other hero showed up on the last turn and just ran towards the action. I want it to feel like a 5 hero game and not a 3 hero game.

The house rule I would try the next time I play.

1. Hero that is 2 or more zones from an enemy may use all 3 actions and remaining gold to go back into reserve.

2. all wounds on hero would remain with them and be present if/when they return to active status.

the 2 zones would keep heroes from getting close to death and then popping out to safety.

I also think when a hero is knocked overboard they should have an option to "tag out" and let another hero take their place in the following turn. . .

There are only 3 heroes allowed on the deck of the ship, so think of it that way.

If one gets knocked off and one 'tags in' his place, then the other just sits in the water, since he can never get back on the deck of the ship.

Being able to come up and spend all your gold on an attack and then go back in reserve would simulate someone coming out, throwing a grenade and then running back below deck.

Sure it sounds like Variant stuff to me, but the game is pretty balanced around 3 heroes. Using 5 makes your turns longer, kills stuff faster and really empties out the board.

It's just meant to be played with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt **
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not suggesting playing more than 3 heroes at a time. I am suggesting a way to get other pirates into play without having to wait for a hero to die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaplainSeverus wrote:
I am not suggesting playing more than 3 heroes at a time. I am suggesting a way to get other pirates into play without having to wait for a hero to die.

No need to wait--you can always send them off to zerg a zone and do some damage, while doing you the favor of dying and getting someone else on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.