Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading the forums while waiting for this game to arrive, and have noticed that many complain about the defender being too strong. Having played mainly Civil War and Napoleon era games, I find defender hitting first to be logical and natural. So I'm not ready to start playing this with the attacker rolling first (maybe simultaneous but not attacker first). The only other block game I've played is Shiloh: April 1862 and it had a nice rule for helping the attacking blocks—flanking. I started looking for other block games with a flanking rule and found this from Borodino: Napoleon in Russia 1812:

Quote:
[ ] flanking (optional)
When attacking via two or more borders, one border (attacker choice) must be declared the main attack. Units crossing all other borders are placed in reserve. Reserve units are delayed one round but have +1 firepower (C2=C3) on their first battle round only. This flank attack bonus does not apply if the main attack units are eliminated in round 1.
Flanking rules also apply when Player 2 is attacking or reinforcing. Main reinforcements arrive in round 2 and flank reinforcements arrive in round 3.
This rule simulates the difficulty of coordinating separate attacks in battles, but gives a bonus for the surprise effect of outflanking.

Which is pretty much like the rule for Shiloh. Attacker reinforcements get a +1 only for when they arrive in Round 2.

Now you probably don't want to flank all the time (not against 4 top rated blocks), but it should really help the attacker when attacking a lone/small force and weakened blocks.

I'll give flanking a go before trying simultaneous attacks/damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is more of a strategic game, so flanking at this scale is not really applicable.

I did once toy with the ida of making a "six-sided" battle board to allow for more maneuvering during battles. I never found something that I liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am remembering WK rules correctly, don't you basically have to flank all the time anyway, due to border limits?

Or am I just thinking of something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, most Columbia games have "border crossing" issues so it helps to be able to maneuver as a "swarm".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
If I am remembering WK rules correctly, don't you basically have to flank all the time anyway, due to border limits?

Or am I just thinking of something else.

Yes but without the bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I think this is more of a strategic game, so flanking at this scale is not really applicable.

I did once toy with the ida of making a "six-sided" battle board to allow for more maneuvering during battles. I never found something that I liked.

True

We could call it a double front bonus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.