jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I will start with this:
I do not have a solution!

But I am looking for ideas.

The Thunderstone bearers should have a significant role in the game, but often do not, they reach Rank 1, and oops the game is suddenly over.

If you have a 4 player game, a player might not even get to face the Bearer, it seem rather anti climactic....i mean i saw this cool bearer at the beginning of the game, tried to plan how to defeat it, but when it shows up it just escapes, ends the game, no repercussions or anything.

So anyone have any suggestions how to spice it up?
how to make the players either have to defeat it, or suffer some consequences.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we just play it semi-coop: if the thunderstone bearer gets out, we all lose. so to win, you have to take him out. this is a good limiting factor as well for a runaway leader: he will have to take care of the thunderstone bearer, because nobody will bother, so he is occuppied and gives others a chance to catch up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
Hello,

I will start with this:
I do not have a solution!

But I am looking for ideas.

The Thunderstone bearers should have a significant role in the game, but often do not, they reach Rank 1, and oops the game is suddenly over.

If you have a 4 player game, a player might not even get to face the Bearer, it seem rather anti climactic....i mean i saw this cool bearer at the beginning of the game, tried to plan how to defeat it, but when it shows up it just escapes, ends the game, no repercussions or anything.

So anyone have any suggestions how to spice it up?
how to make the players either have to defeat it, or suffer some consequences.

thanks

I assume your other players are letting him escape becuase it's better than letting you have the points?

him escaping is not part of the game, but he now out and about destroying the countryside. it should be a hollow victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Arn
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In multiplayer games we use the house rule:
At the end of your turn, if the Thunderstone Bearer is In the dungeon, remove the monster with the highest number of VPs in your hand from the game. Also, once the TB reaches the first spot, he then starts moving back (deeper) into the dungeon until defeated.

So if you are the one to defeat the TB you get their VPs and you don't loss VPs (making the TB potentially a more valuable target).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the real question here should be why are the Thunderstone Bearers so few victory points!?! Most are in the 4 range, they should be double if not triple that to make it more rewarding to kill him...

Maybe do that for your game and surely someone will go for the kill!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swaygodeus wrote:
I think the real question here should be why are the Thunderstone Bearers so few victory points!?! Most are in the 4 range, they should be double if not triple that to make it more rewarding to kill him...

I seem to recall some classic TS discussions where people were complaining that a 3VP Thunderstone was too many points, many people were house ruling them down to 0VP so "who gets the stone wins" wouldn't happen all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Swaygodeus wrote:

I seem to recall some classic TS discussions where people were complaining that a 3VP Thunderstone was too many points, many people were house ruling them down to 0VP so "who gets the stone wins" wouldn't happen all the time.

I've only played TSA but if I recall correctly in the original Thunderstone there was just a "thunderstone" that you had to grab to win? In TSA with the bearers you have to actually defeat a boss.

Just seems silly that you can kill a monster and get 7 VP and then the bearer comes out and he's worth 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Classic TS was all about the points, like TSA. You might get the Thunderstone and still lose on points (TS being tiebreaker). In order to get the TS, you had to beat the monster ahead of it, though unlike Bearers, could only grab the TS from Rank 2 by killing the Rank 1 monster; with Bearers, you can end the game by tapping the Bearer even from Rank 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I get why the TB is not the most rewarding (point-wise card).
Too many points for 1 monster might be "lucky" for the player that is offered it.

I don't mind the TB strength while in the dungeon, I just feel like when the TB advances to rank 1, the ending is too sudden.

What I would like to see is some kind of variant that is added after he has advanced to rank 1.
Like some kind of rule that either forces players to fight him, or suffer some kind of loss.

I experimented some, but so far have not found a good balance.
I liked astroarn's idea.

I think the next time I will play, I will allow for 1 more round (or until TB is killed - whichever comes first).
If you win you get the TB, if you lose you lose your highest point card in your hand. Players are not allowed to fight other monsters in this scenario.
I was thinking of all players playing their hands simultaneously, and comparing attack power. but the problem with that, is that some abilities make other players draw/discard cards or make attacking more difficult.

would still love to hear more ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod MacDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play, the Thunderstone bearer gets to Rank 1 and on each player's turn they have to destroy the top card of their deck until the bearer is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that idea.
its simple, and it matters.
Hurts the people in the lead probably more since its destroying their monsters at random.
Technically it might be beneficial for a losing player not to defeat the boss, and cause the other players to lose their card.

1 question, when do you destroy the card? right after finishing your turn, and before you are about to draw your new hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod MacDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We destroy the card at the 'start' of the turn. So you really have no protection against the first strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.