Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
As of 9/9/15, see the 2nd reply below. I now think that instead of making the diagonal ZOC wider to make it more like the row ZOC, I should make the row ZOC narrower to make it more like the diagonal ZOC. I think this because as of 7/15/15 you can spread out too much and still have a solid wall of ZOC in front of you.
. . To do this only the 1 square directly in front of a unit stops enemy movement, only movement from this sq. to other sqs. adjaceent to enemy units is prohibited. All 4 corners of a unit's sq. are also blocked. A unit facing a row that is 1 empty sq. from its neighbor allows the enemy to walk right through that 1 sq. gap. Units need to in adjacent sqs. to form a solid wall. See also the file in files here.

See my other ideas for better rules to simulate this battle. However, I strongly recommend that you use this new as of 10/21/13 ZOC rule to make ZOC [when your units face diagonally] much more like when they face a row. It is self-evident to me that facing a row and a diagonal should be as much the same as possible.
. . . 1] All 4 corners of the unit's own sq. block all enemy movement.
. . . 2] Whenever 2 units of the same side are in adjacent sq. both facing diagonally, they block ALL attacks [except Art. attacks] , ZOC, & movement over the 1 corner that they share. Incl. friendly attacks, movement & ZOC. This can be relaxed to allow reduced attacks [x 1/2?, round down] from the center ZOC sq. unless the defending unit has friendly neighboring units on both sides.
. . . 3] When a unit faces diagonally, the outside corners of the 2 side ZOC sqs. are blocked for enemy movement. This keeps the enemy from moving between 2 such units 2 sqs. apart and in other cases too.
. . Or better, when a unit faces diagonally, enemy movement over the outside corners of the 2 side ZOC sqs. is slowed by 1 MP for each freindly occupied sq. who's side ZOC sq. corner is being moved over. This keeps enemy Inf. from moving between 2 such units that are 2 sqs. apart (1 empty sq. between them) and slows movement in other cases too. added with edit
. . . 4] Moving from a sq. adjacent to an enemy unit to another sq. adjacent to that unit is almost always not allowed. This is possible only to or from the sq. directly behind the enemy unit.

1] Just says that moving sideways under the rifles of enemy units is not possible.
2] Has the effect of making the saw-tooth pattern of units along a diagonal line as solid as a line along a row.
3] Has the further effect of blocking movement between 2 units separated by 1 sq. diagonally, like units on a row with 1 sq. between them.
4] This is rather like #1] above. It gives units on a row 1 sq. apart a series of ZOC that are solid and can't be infiltrated without moving 1 of the units aside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
These are my current thought on this subject as of 7/2/15.

Zones of Control –
In '64 the ZOC sqs. were just the 3 sqs. in front of the unit. This is not enough, enemy units should not be able to be retreated into the sq. on a unit's flank. In reality these Div. were spread out into the sqs. on both sides of the sq. it “sits” in. Also when facing diagonally the ZOC needs to be wider to make it more like the ZOC of units facing a row.

. . 1] The ZOC of a unit is the 3 sqs. to its front and the 2 to its flanks. The normal field of fire for Art. firing at their extended range of 2 to 6 sqs. is 90 deg. wide centered on the Art. unit's sq.
. . . . a] The sqs. of a unit's ZOC are called the Center ZOC sq., the 2 Side ZOC sqs., and the 2 Flank ZOC sqs.
. . . . b] Units attack/fire at full power only into their Center or Side ZOC sqs., they are halved when they fire into their Flank ZOC sqs., round down. All units are reduced to 1 [1s to ½] if they are firing into a sq. that is not 1 of their 5 ZOC sqs. Enemy Inf. & Cav. units are just doubled when they attack you from your Flank ZOC sq., but Art. is tripled.

. . 2] When units are facing diagonally their ZOC is more complicated.
. . . . . . a] When your unit is facing diagonally, enemy units pay 1 MP extra to enter a Flank ZOC sq. by moving over the *front-center* corner that it shares with the Side ZOC square. If 2 stacks slow the enemy at the same corner they add to become “pay 2 MP”. This blocks this corner for enemy Inf. These ZOC rules allow a unit facing diagonally to be attacked from 5 sqs. (see #b] below) and 2 of them are doubled. Compare this to a unit facing a row, where it can be attacked from 3 sqs. and none of them are doubled. Slowing or stopping units going for the Flank ZOC sq. doesn't seem so extreme compared to the row case. I considered blocking this corner to enemy movement, this is a compromise. Imagine that the enemy unit is under fire and slowed while making this move and that when 2 units are separated by 1 sq. that they extend into the sq. between them to mostly or fully close the gap.
. . . . . . b] When 2 friendly units are facing the same diagonal direction and are adjacent, the corner between then is blocked to all [but Art.] attacks. Note that the attacker can avoid this by turning one of the 2 units so they don't both face the same direction. It is like the 2 sqs. in front pinch off the one sq. behind them. This is reasonable and is done to make facing diagonally more like facing a row..
. . . . . . c] Optionally, when your unit is facing diagonally, the rear corner of a Flank ZOC sq. is blocked to enemy movement moving out of the Flank ZOC sq. This is done to make facing diagonally more like facing a row; it creates a solid wall of ZOC. If it has more sqs. an enemy can attack from, at least it is solid. I think that this is important.

. . 3] Units must stop and attack when they enter any enemy ZOC sq.

. . 4] Units can never be retreated into an enemy ZOC sq.

. . 5] A unit in a ZOC can always turn in place 45 deg. or 180 deg. and then 45 deg.

. . 6] All 4 corners of a unit's own sq. are blocked for all enemy movement. Units can never move from a ZOC sq. directly to any sq. adjacent to an enemy unit. Units can leave a Flank ZOC sq., moving into a non-adjacent sq., then move into any sq. adjacent to an enemy unit, but they can not do this if they leave a Center or Side ZOC sq. Units can move from the rear enfilade sq. to the rear sq. of a unit & vice versa.

. . 7] It costs Artillery 2 additional MP to enter an enemy ZOC sq. or 1 more to move Art. adjacent into a non-ZOC sq.; and Cav. pays 1 MP more to enter an enemy Inf. or Art. [but not Cav.] ZOC sq. [Art. pays nothing extra if there is a friendly Inf. or Cav. unit already there.] They both had to dismount or unlimber to fight Inf. and in this game they made Art. too fast, so I'm slowing it down some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Now I'm thinking that the standard ZOC is too wide. This let the units spread out too much.

This because while the ZOC facing diagonally is OK, the 1 facing a row is a problem by being too wide.

Therefore I'm thinking that a unit's ZOC should be the 5 sqs. to its front or flank, but that only ZOC sqs. that are at least partially in front of the unit should stop enemy movement.

This would mean that a unt facing a row does not stop enemy movement into its 2 Side ZOC or 2 Flank ZOC sqs. And when it is facing diagonally it doesn't stop enemy movement thru its Flank ZOC sqs.

This would mean that to form a solid wall of ZOC in front of themselves units will need to be in adjacent sqs. And now the best ZOC a unit can have is the one it has when it is facing diagonally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.