Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Anslow
England
Warminster
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just completed Shadow and Flame, but at the end of the turn in the refresh action I had Dark Pit as my active location, 28 hit points on the Balrog (1 more than his total)and twelve refreshed dwarves in play, BUT no cards left in my resource deck. As the total points would be zero and the balrog is on zero effectively is this a victory?

Have I missed something?

Many Thanx in advance,

Roger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid not. You cannot place damage on an enemy beyond its hit points, so the Balrog cannot have less than 0 hit points remaining. Since Dark Pit says "If all discarded cards have a higher combined printed cost than the remaining hit points of Durin's Bane...", you have to discard at least 1 cost worth of cards from your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Anslow
England
Warminster
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, understood, close but no cigar. Oh well back into the pit!

Thank you for the swift response.

Cheers,

Roger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
You cannot place damage on an enemy beyond its hit points...

I'm pretty sure you can actually place damage tokens beyond the hit points of an enemy or character. In fact, I remember Caleb confirming as much in regards to this scenario from an e-mail sent by ins3kT:

Caleb Grace wrote:

1. You can place more than 27 damage on Durin's Bane.

Here's the thread where it was discussed.

However, I do agree with the rest of your statement, Tony. laugh
Even if you've got more than 27 damage tokens on Durin's Bane, his "remaining hit points" are effectively 0. But the text on Dark Pit instructs you to discard card(s), and their combined printed costs must be higher than Durin's Bane's Hit Points. So in this case you'd need to have a total cost of at least 1 to defeat him. And since you've got no cards in your deck, you won't be able to achieve that... sorry!!

Sounds like a close game though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
AdmiralACF wrote:
You cannot place damage on an enemy beyond its hit points...

I'm pretty sure you can actually place damage tokens beyond the hit points of an enemy or character. In fact, I remember Caleb confirming as much in regards to this scenario from an e-mail sent by ins3kT:

Caleb Grace wrote:

1. You can place more than 27 damage on Durin's Bane.

Here's the thread where it was discussed.

Huh, I must have misremembered that one.

In any case, the answer is the same based on this from the FAQ:

FAQ entry 1.43 wrote:
A quantity cannot be reduced below zero: a card cannot have “negative” cost, stats, keywords, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing happend to me yesterday. I replayed it for another couple hours and barely defeated him with only 3 cards left in my deck surprise felt good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.