Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Reposted from other thread)

I recently played a game where I tried the strategy of selling out completely in the market round after tech 3 begins and starting up every unstarted company in turn; buying all the stock and then selling all but one except for my last company and as many shares of my second last started company that would allow me to own %100 of my last company. I had purposely played an investor in the PRR and the NYC which the other two players had started and ran the B&O with a one train; just jumping the income to keep the stock price rising every turn. I made sure to wait until the other two players had passed first so they were totally invested and couldn't sell stock without taking a hit to their remaining stock value.
The "Trainado" (TM applied for) that followed gave us three operating rounds until we hit tech six. The PRR and the NYC never had the opportunity to capitalize on their cube advantage. (Service and collect from more cities than anyone else). I had no loyalty to the companies I started. Whenever possible, I shifted my money to the most profitable RRs. The fact the new companies were flush with cash allowed them to buy one or two of the newer trains and expand to new cities which meant their dividends and share value kept rising for the remainder of the game. (they would have stalled if it had gone on longer). When my opponents invested in one of the new companies I had abandoned except for one share I sold my remaining share (again after my opponents had passed and thus finished the market round) and dinged their share value for a step. I also freely invested in the PRR when shares were available (the NYC was completely bought out) as it still had one of the higest dividends.
I went from a close third to beating the second place winner by %20.
Now how a game will go with those two in future I don't know. I think we'll all go for maximising cash and dumpable stock value for the first market round after tech three. It will be quite interesting.
This has the effect of throwing out previous B&O strategies for me. Now I need some new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.