5 Posts

Linko!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stealing cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Pickett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to explain Linko to friends and failed horribly. It was my first time playing too, so that explains part of my failure!

First off, the point of the game is to get as many cards in front of you on the table. Each card is worth a point. You also don't want to keep cards in your hand as they take you down a point for each one.

Am I correct in this?

Also, in a 4 player game, how many times can the current player steal from other players, assuming that the conditions are met for stealing.

TIA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the cards you lay down are the same number of cards but higher values from all three opponents you would steal from all 3 of them. Please watch the videos that do a nice job explaining the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pickett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daggz wrote:
If the cards you lay down are the same number of cards but higher values from all three opponents you would steal from all 3 of them. Please watch the videos that do a nice job explaining the game.

Oh I had watched a video. Twice, in fact. I had also read instructions, but for some reason I couldn't explain it very well.

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A rough outline of how I teach this one, which may help you structure your explanation:

The goal of the game is to have the most points. You get one point for every card in front of you at the end of the hand, and lose one point for every card left unplayed in your hand.

On your turn, you can always play any number of cards, as long as they have the same value. X's are wild.

If you play the same number of cards as another player has in front of them, and your cards are a higher value, you are snatching from them (Insert some Swiper reference here if the audience is familiar with Dora the Explorer). You may take their cards into your hand if you want; if you do, they must replace them from the deck or display. If you don't they have to either take them back into their hand, or discard and replace them.

That's the whole explanation! If you are playing with more casual gamers, the further details can be easily deferred until those situation arise (explaining how the display gets refilled, how wilds can be played as 14s, how played cards are "safe" for the time being if they are covered by another set etc.). Some players may find it useful to have the Dilemma Diagram available, but it's confusing to others. Suggest to players that it's good to collect cards early in the hand so you can play more cards, but you don't want to collect more cards when somebody is getting close to going out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pickett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBob wrote:
A rough outline of how I teach this one, which may help you structure your explanation:

The goal of the game is to have the most points. You get one point for every card in front of you at the end of the hand, and lose one point for every card left unplayed in your hand.

On your turn, you can always play any number of cards, as long as they have the same value. X's are wild.

If you play the same number of cards as another player has in front of them, and your cards are a higher value, you are snatching from them (Insert some Swiper reference here if the audience is familiar with Dora the Explorer). You may take their cards into your hand if you want; if you do, they must replace them from the deck or display. If you don't they have to either take them back into their hand, or discard and replace them.

That's the whole explanation! If you are playing with more casual gamers, the further details can be easily deferred until those situation arise (explaining how the display gets refilled, how wilds can be played as 14s, how played cards are "safe" for the time being if they are covered by another set etc.). Some players may find it useful to have the Dilemma Diagram available, but it's confusing to others. Suggest to players that it's good to collect cards early in the hand so you can play more cards, but you don't want to collect more cards when somebody is getting close to going out.

Thanks very much! This is really helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.