Subject: What am I missing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
Looking for a new game and hoping to find some fresh games that are a bit different from what I own.

Games we have and enjoy:
Kingdom Builder, Asara, Trains, Suburbia, Elasund, K2, Puerto Rico, Splendor, Innovation, Tobago, Union Pacific, Steam Park, Takenoko, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne games, 1775, Memoir 44, Forbidden Desert, Euphoria

Under $40
Plays in 60 min or less
Medium-Light to Medium Weight (2-3) - something with meat but not overly complex
Player count - must play well at 3 players, 2 would be nice and more is ok. (We frequently play with 2, 3, 4, 5 players!)
No supernatural/witchcraft themes.
Don't really care for auctions or negotiations.
Replayibility
Love modular boards or setups that are variable making each game seem different.

I've been considering Oddville or Spyrium.

Looking forward to your recommendations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have a look at Five Tribes.
It plays great with 3 and I also love it with 2 (although opinions differ on that one).
It has a modular board, plays around 60 minutes and has been picked up quickly by everyone I've tought it so far, while still having enough depth and a lot of replayability.

I don't know if having Dschinn around is already too much "supernatural" though and technically the bidding for turn order is some kind of auction, but as someone that doesn't like auctions a lot myself, it never bothered me much, because it's a very fixed way of choosing turn order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top recommendation
Snowdonia - there's a tonne of variability out of the box and Tony releases cheap expansions every year that often present not one but 2 new setups.

Others
Tikal - a classic with tonnes of replay value
Roll for the Galaxy - an excellent game. Great components, great gameplay. Everything done right. Prefer 3p over 2 though.

Upcoming
Mottainai - from the same designer as innovation, this is the spiritual successor to glory to Rome. Should be out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aldinger
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You're missing 7 Wonders, San Juan, Dominion, Viticulture

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to San Juan, especially as you like Puerto Rico.

Catan, of course. And Imperial Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Five Tribes

+1 Castles of Burgundy

+1 7 Wonders

+1 Dominion (We raise the price of the VP cards by 3 for each one and it extends the game a fair bit and makes the action cards more useful rather than a straight rush for Gold cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 to The Castles of Burgundy or a different Feld game such as Trajan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wysocki
United States
Ocean
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Sounds like you want to play ROLL FOR THE GALAXY, an excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The voyages of Marco polo has excellent replayability and good with 2,3 or 4 players. Approx 20 mins per player.
Glass road has good reolayability as you only see a small proportion of buildings each game. Plays in 20 mins per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what about card games? Koi Pond: A Coy Card Game, Bohnanza

or try Walnut Grove

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of your list of games have a fair variety in feel/style, so I think with the rest of your requirements Theseus: The Dark Orbit may interest you, different mechanically and thematically while still being essentially a low-conflict (despite the theme) euro. 2-4 players, I think best at 2 but good on the entire range, somewhat more chaotic/tactical with more. Has some variability in initial setup, and some due to being asymmetrical. Not going too much over medium complexity since there aren't as many different options as in many Mancala-ish games.

+1 The Castles of Burgundy, Snowdonia (may go over 1 hour depending on player count), Race for the Galaxy / Roll for the Galaxy.

Spyrium you've been considering is good, may go a little over the 1 hour mark. And while good for the entire 2-5 range you want, at 2-3 it does feel different with money being significantly more constrained/tight (which is fine for me but there are people who don't like it so just be aware).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
I do have Settlers of Catan (have loved it but it no longer makes it to the table we've played it so much), San Juan (don't love it), 7 Wonders.

Snowdonia sounds interesting, although, I don't know if I can play another "train" themed game! LOL

Checking these recommendations! Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Scheuber
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are missing a dexterity games. I would recommend Catacombs but since you don't like supernatural themes, maybe the new Flick 'em Up! is more to your liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, you say you don't like Auctions, but I'd still recommend Keyflower as a game with a lot of variability and a fresh feeling. A big part of the game is sort of an auction system for tiles to place in your village, but you're "bidding" with meeples that are also your workers used for placing ON tiles. Say you want that tile that generates a lot of Iron, you place 2 blue meeples there thinking that other players might not have enough blue to take it with 3 blue meeples, alas someone does. Now you can take those 2 meeples and put them on a different tile to get, or perhaps on a tile to get the resources it provides and they will return to your surplus for next turn. It's a lot of organic reaction and thinking of how best to use your meeples. I find it a ton of fun. Somewhat complex because there are a lot of mechanisms worked into one game, but not too bad once one person wraps their head around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sail to India

- sells for under $20 MSRP

- great with 3 players; excellent with 4 (doesn't play with 2 or 5)

- novel game system with multiple strategies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels great with 2 and 3 and supports a lot more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.