Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just trying to decide which one I should order from (if it matters) I have previously ordered from CSI before, but the boxes had some blemishes, some had creases (however they all came in a big box so... Maybe that's why it was messed up). I don't know if there's any difference between the two with ratio of slightly "tinged" games but... yeah thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I find them both to be great places to order games so I tend to place orders based on who has what I want in stock or which will have the cheaper shipping costs.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature Market has been a bit cheaper in my experience. They're my first stop when looking at games, though Cool Stuff has been great to me as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Coolstuff specifically because I've been buying from them so long my member discount is up to 4%. Also they are only one state away from me, so their shipping always gets here fast, even if its sent USPS.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for CSI, but MM has always been good to me -- of course, they are less than two miles from me, so I can actually walk into their showroom and pick up my orders. I do know they put the "dinged and damaged" out for sale there, so that could contribute to a lesser rate of shipping damaged stuff?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also yeah, Coolstuff has always been super cool in emails if I had any issues (which have almost never happened) or if I wanted to ask if they knew anything else about a release date.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've quit ordering from MM due to their packaging. I am now sticking with just CSI and the newer boardgamewarehouse.com as I have had 0 packaging issues with them. Plus they have better loyalty reward systems in my book.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Webster
United States
PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy from Cool Stuff because they sponsor The Dice Tower videos.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only one problem with Coolstuff. 8 million packing peanuts. I wish they used the airfilled plastic cushioning like Amazon does. Its so much easier to toss out when I get a new package.

But that is like, a minor minor complaint. They package very very well and I've never had anything damaged in transit.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Between CSI and MM, MM is the one with the more known packing issues. Outside of that, it is vastly who has a better deal. If you are OCD about how games are packaged, use boardgamewarehouse.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.


Where are each of them located? If one is closer to me that would definitely change my decision
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ordered from many different online stores. I now almost always order from Cardhaus. Their customer service has been by far the best (as well as their prices). I would give a close second to BoardGame Bliss, but there is no free shipping option for US orders.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dunn
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooo I can answer this one

CoolStuff:Florida
Miniature Market: StLouis, Mo
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Charney
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mangekyo wrote:
Thanks guys.


Where are each of them located? If one is closer to me that would definitely change my decision


CoolStuff is in Florida.
MiniatureMarket is in St Louis, MO
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used both mainly deciding by whichever has a better deal such as the deal for the day. Regular discounts are pretty close and very reasonable with both. As for loyalty discounts, MM has a fixed 1% credit reward whereas CSI loyalty discounts increase the more you've purchased over time.

If there are specific things you're looking for that one specializes in over the other is also another big factor. Such as CSI deals (buy & sell) individual MtG cards, but their sealed MtG products tend to be higher than MM. Where as MM specializes in, as you might guess, in miniatures.

MM is in St. Louis, MO
CSI is in Maitland, FL
You can avoid shipping costs if you live close enough to pick up at the store.
I don't know about CSI shipping calculations, but MM recently added a flat $5.95 FexEx shipping option.
Both offer free shipping with $100 orders, which is what I always do by saving up a wantlist until I get enough for an order.

I've had no problems with either packaging or order fulfillments (knock on wood). I've never had to contact CSI before, but MM customer service have always been very helpful to get my order changes and requests with no issues.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Avatar
There has been a lot of posts about how CoolStuff buys large volumes of a particular popular game to sell for higher prices elsewhere when demand is high, which leaves no copies for a lot of other smaller retailers who just want to sell it for the recommended sale price. Nothing illegal about this, but it reeks of scalping to me; however, I do recall a post or two about MM doing the same thing. I usually shop with Cardhaus.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I avoid CSI because of the styrofoam packing peanuts are so annoying.

Cardhaus uses compostable packing peanuts that are so much easier to dispose of. You know, in the compost!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:
I avoid CSI because of the styrofoam packing peanuts are so annoying.

Cardhaus uses compostable packing peanuts that are so much easier to dispose of. You know, in the compost!



I have MM, CSI, and Cardhaus with the 5 same games in my cart. Cardhaus is cheaper by 6 bucks in comparison (but they require you to spend 125 to get free shipping instead of 99 or 100).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fix
United States
St Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ordered from MM a few times when they had a game and CSI did not. Other than that, I have had about the same experiences with both companies.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:
I avoid CSI because of the styrofoam packing peanuts are so annoying.

Cardhaus uses compostable packing peanuts that are so much easier to dispose of. You know, in the compost!



broken clock wrote:
There has been a lot of posts about how CoolStuff buys large volumes of a particular popular game to sell for higher prices elsewhere when demand is high, which leaves no copies for a lot of other smaller retailers who just want to sell it for the recommended sale price. Nothing illegal about this, but it reeks of scalping to me; however, I do recall a post or two about MM doing the same thing. I usually shop with Cardhaus.


Hey, thanks guys! I think I'm going to order from them!

Do they offer returning customer rewards like CSI does? It'll be cool if credit could be built up or something.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got an order in from Miniature Market this week. I big item and 3 smaller items. 2 of the smaller items arrived with noticeable box damage (dings/crushing).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I avoid MM because I think their website is inferior. I prefer BGW though to CSI.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mangekyo wrote:
CoffeeRunner wrote:
I avoid CSI because of the styrofoam packing peanuts are so annoying.

Cardhaus uses compostable packing peanuts that are so much easier to dispose of. You know, in the compost!



I have MM, CSI, and Cardhaus with the 5 same games in my cart. Cardhaus is cheaper by 6 bucks in comparison (but they require you to spend 125 to get free shipping instead of 99 or 100).



Have you tried http://www.boardgameprices.com, Comparison Cart, Import your BGG Wish List, Buy List?

That said I use Boardgamebliss over CSI, MM. They seem like a smaller outfit, not a victim of their own success.

I get non form letter replies back usually from Bosco Li. One ordered OOP game, Notre Dame, went MIA, seems to have dropped off the carries truck, or something, they made good on it, holding a copy while UPS ran out the clock.

So, to give an answer to the OP's question, yeah, the one with the best consumer service.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bagwell
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Riddlebox85 wrote:
I avoid MM because I think their website is inferior. I prefer BGW though to CSI.


I really like the Board Game Warehouse rewards program.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Wayman
United States
Palmetto
FL
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Navy Brat, Dad served on Submarines in the 60's and 70's. I was there to watch them Commission his last two boats,SSN615 Gato and SSN684 Cavalla. The "New" Navy assigns sailors to subs, Dad said he wouldnt be caught dead on one now!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yukTaxes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.