Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to a collection that is too spread out, and not having much luck getting details on larger sets offered for sale, I am considering ignoring affiliation for deckbuilding to provide more opportunities to use the bulk of the cards in my collection.

I admittedly have not had enough experience with the game to really know if this poses a lot of issue in the game, but other than negating a need for cross over and team up cards, it doesn't really seem like this would pose any big issues.

Anyone ever done this or have a comment on it? It almost just seems to be there to force additional purchases instead of a really crucial game component. I mean, there are no other restrictions to team attacks... only that some cards require a specific team to function, but as I said it doesn't seem like it would break anything to remove the affiliation rules.

To me, the team/affiliation restrictions are the biggest negative to the game that I can see so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Automatic crossover was a format they used to have and resulted in some crazy strong decks. If you're worried about brokenness you could limit it to only two or three free crossovers. Also, are you looking for bulk cards? I have boxes of singles I'd be interested in moving on the cheap. PM me if interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the super-crossover format is extremely broken. It allows the abuse of cards earlier in the game than might be otherwise possible. It also allows a deck builder to pack more into a deck because it doesn't have to worry about team-ups. Typically this format was limited to sealed formats where you opened 5 packs (each from a different set) and then built a deck of at least 30 cards and played.

If you are looking for a broader way to used you cards, I would suggest the BYOTT (Bring Your Own Two Teams). This format automatically teams up two teams of your choice. It allows some creative deck building without making it extremely broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont have anywhere near enough to build a 2 team deck, which is why I was asking. I severely doubt it would be an issue like that currently, as it isnt like i have a huge set of cards. We have ordered the new VS 2PCG though, and have put the old VSon hold. But since i am lucky if 5 or 6 of the affiliations have even 10 character cards (most having 1-5) I seriously doubt I have much to worry about, it is just casual play with my wife and daughter, this isnt tournament play with full sets of cards to choose from.

I could see the issue though for more serious play, with full sets to choose from. That isnt the case here though, and likely never will be as I have little desire to pay the cost of booster boxes anymore. I have been looking into boosting a few affiliations though for a slight more variety, but doing that is very expensive or very limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.