Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I list a game in a math trade with the disclaimer, "Canada pays any extra shipping costs."

A Canadian (Quebec) wins the game and says they will wait for the game to arrive before paying the extra. The game shipped via airmail and the recipient is not answering email about the transaction.

They haven't left me feedback yet on the trade. I also noticed (too late) that they have a number of "neutral" feedback responses. Do I drop the bad feedback and risk retribution, or just wait another month...

I get the impression the person probably deserved a bad feedback rating in the past but someone wussed out. Also, in a math trade, how would you protect yourself from someone like this, because you don't know who is going to "win" your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Wonder Computer of the 1980s
badge
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

Easier said than done, but I say wait a bit. I've pulled the trigger too early once myself, and I ate a lot of crow for my foolishness. Plus, my experience is that airmail to Canada takes between 5 - 10 business days, and that's not accounting for the holidays. The Canadian customs service takes forever!

Packages from Canada to the US travel much faster. For instance, Mr. eJamer sent me a package last week and I received it yesterday. That reminds me, I've got to leave him positive feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a math trade from mid-November. Also, the recipient has logged onto BGG since I emailed them, and they haven't bothered to respond to my notes. The real question for me is whether I give bad feedback and warn the community while risking retaliatory feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
...while risking retaliatory feedback.

Given both your current trade rating and your prominence in math trades, I don't think retaliatory feedback would be a big deal on your account. I, for one, would have no problem trading with you. And I'm sure a dozen geeks would also give references in your favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This situation sucks, Mark. If worse comes to worst, you could leave at least another neutral. You have a very good trade rating so if they leave you a neutral in return, you can take the hit.
On eBay, you have the chance to put in a followup comment, ie "This is retalitory feedback" but not here on BGG. I wish they would add that feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I made trades with Jeff Digman (Boraxia) and Steve Leach a year and a half ago and they never made good. I even called Steve Leach's home number a few times, and his wife would tell me that he'd get back to me.

Maybe it's time to leave negative feedback...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the mention of negative feedback garnered a response from the comatose trader, so hopefully all will be resolved soon. Thanks all for the considerate advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayvon wrote:
craniac wrote:
...while risking retaliatory feedback.

Given both your current trade rating and your prominence in math trades, I don't think retaliatory feedback would be a big deal on your account. I, for one, would have no problem trading with you. And I'm sure a dozen geeks would also give references in your favor.

Many of us would have no problem trading with you, Mark. So, maybe you should go ahead and submit the negative feedback.

I tried to do so once and I had no idea how few characters were available to explain myself, so my negative feedback was cut off when it saved--and it doesn't have the same effect.

Therefore, maybe you could post on the deadbeat traders list and put a link with your feedback... so you could expound on the issue and defend yourself if there is retaliation.

BTW, the person I gave negative feedback to "and harsh negative feedback it was" never retaliated against... I know that they knew what they did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so Chaddyboy. As an Admin, your credibility has been established. I wish more people would leave negative.

Or, another trick which I have learned on eBay is to leave a positive or neutral feedback item, but write the negative information in it... so that the person knows that you are not malicious, but anyone who reads closely still would have the information...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Or, another trick which I have learned on eBay is to leave a positive or neutral feedback item, but write the negative information in it... so that the person knows that you are not malicious, but anyone who reads closely still would have the information...

nice to try, but it doesn't always work -- i just recently sold a few things to one person on ebay, and mentioned IN POSITIVE FEEDBACK that he was slow to communicate and pay... and then he left neutral feedback saying basically that i was an AHOLE, and a waste of time -- even though he received his items in great condition and quickly. now who's the AHOLE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yegods wrote:
Quote:

nice to try, but it doesn't always work -- i just recently sold a few things to one person on ebay, and mentioned IN POSITIVE FEEDBACK that he was slow to communicate and pay... and then he left neutral feedback saying basically that i was an AHOLE, and a waste of time -- even though he received his items in great condition and quickly. now who's the AHOLE.

Not to worry, we all just went to your feedback to figure out who it was! Karma!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Not to worry, we all just went to your feedback to figure out who it was! Karma!

heh heh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.