Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I feel like throwing some dice! I'm looking for two kinds of games, both that need to be good for solo-playing:

GAME 1
Are there are any games out there for solo players that have dice-determined actions? I'm thinking of games like Castles of Burgundy and Troyes, where you roll dice and that determines what kind of actions you can perform on your turn. I'm not asking about games where dice rolls are just used to determine whether you have a success/failure (eg. Eldritch Horror)

I would prefer this game to either be designed for solitaire or be a co-op, such that I'm playing against the game (not a dummy player) and there's specific win conditions. I'd also like the difficulty of winning to be fairly high. A medium to heavy-ish weight is ideally what I'm looking for, again similar to CoB and Troyes.

Btw, I'm not really interested in Pandemic: The Cure, as I already have Pandemic and it would be nice to have a different theme

GAME 2
I'm also interested in a solo-able, light yahtzee-style dice throwing game. I've had my eye on Elder Sign for this, but I'm open to other suggestions Being able to accommodate more players is a bonus for this one, but not necessary.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think D-Day Dice is what you're looking for. It's the only solo/co-op game I'm aware of where you do dice rolling for things other than success checks.

Troyes and Nations: The Dice Game have official solo variants, although in both cases I believe you're playing against a dummy player of sorts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Slyght wrote:
I think D-Day Dice is what you're looking for. It's the only solo/co-op game I'm aware of where you do dice rolling for things other than success checks.

I haven't been looking for a long time, but it does seem to be an unpopular mechanic for solo play. I have nothing against dice checks for success, but I really like the looks of Castles of Burgundy and Troyes... but I don't think I'd have people to play those games with

I have downloaded the rules for D-Day Dice and will take a look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fangorn
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mb
2 really easy to PNP games come to mind: Utopia Engine and The d6 Shooters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Run, Fight, or Die!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest checking out VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game. It has a great solo game and plays well with 2-4 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the further suggestions, I'll take a look at all of those

From a quick glance at the game pages, they all seem on the rather light side, so I guess my ideal, heavy-ish Game 1 will be harder to come by laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JCV
United States
Rolling Meadows
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
La Granja (solo) and Bora Bora (solo with variants) both have dice rolling that determine actions. I have not played either though...yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nando Cordero
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second d-day dice. This is pretty much what you are describing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's been a busy week, so unfortunately I haven't had much time to look at these yet (though D-Day Dice did look good at first glance)... plus, after winning a few auctions I should probably slow down on the game-buying laugh Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I will look at them all when I'm in the market for more games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 2 Option:

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age is very nice solo, and plays up to 4. There is a free expansion written by Matt Leacock that adds more strategic options, and you can find it here: Roll Through the Ages: The Late Bronze Age. Finding a new copy may require some hunting, but I know that some Canadian shops have them and I found a couple at my FLGS recently. So don't overpay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilma Mizanoski
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out "Meazy N More" dice game....has 4 different ways to play and most of them can be played solo if you wish. Throw dice and form different color to number combinations....has somewhat a Yahtzee flavor to it, but use your mind more.....very fun!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
I'm also interested in a solo-able, light yahtzee-style dice throwing game. I've had my eye on Elder Sign for this, but I'm open to other suggestions Being able to accommodate more players is a bonus for this one, but not necessary.

Thanks!

My wife loves Yahtzee. Actually I take that back. She used to love Yahtzee. Then I got her Elder Sign and that replaced Yahtzee for her. I think you'll like it if that is the type of game you are looking for.

It also sounds like D-Day Dice might be right up your alley as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Our PnP was specifically designed for solo play, won the 2011 PnP Solo contest and was a finalist in the 2012 Golden Geek Awards (PnP category): Inspector Moss: House Arrest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fangorn
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mb
davekuhns wrote:
2 really easy to PNP games come to mind: Utopia Engine and The d6 Shooters.

Forgot The Herald as well. Another easy to PNP dice allocation game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.