Subject: Breaking a champion via an Event during a Battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ott Is

Madison
Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmb
If I am attacked, what happens, and when, to the opponent's Champion if I play an event that, by itself, does enough damage to that target Champion to break it? Does the Champion immediately receive all the damage, break, and be removed from the battle? If so, is his/her damage still part of the battle resolution? Or, do you wait until the Resolve damage phase to see that the Champion is broken? If there was only one Champion attacking and it is removed prior to damage resolution, what happens to the battle damage going to each player (or their champions)?

I'm just confused on the rules timing on events that will outright break a Champion during a battle. It seems like that any other time you play an event that will break a champion, that they are then removed immediately from play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The event is resolved completely at the time it is played. If it breaks an attacker, that attacker is removed immediately.

Attack damage is tallied up at the end of battle, meaning it's not present during that count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"When you play an event, do what it says on the card"

-> If you do enough damage with a single event to break an opposing champion, it will break and goes to the discard pile.
If it was the only attacking champion, then the battle ends, and no battle damage will be dealt.

(You played your event in the "Choose attackers step" and since no more attackers are remaining the "Damage step" will be empty)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add on to what the others have said above, remember that if a blocking unit is removed from a battle due to an event (even if it's the only one) the attack is still considered "blocked". And that means unless the attacker(s) have breakthrough, no damage will be dealt to the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The resolve damage step only deals with combat damage from attackers and blockers. All damage from events (or triggered effects from putting champions into play and ally effects) are resolved immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ott Is

Madison
Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who posted. That clears up an inner debate that I have had ever since I first started playing the PnP a couple of days ago. The game is much more fun if that is the case.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.