1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Deepest strategy games that play in 60 minutes or less? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
aymaster
msg tools
mb
I've got a gaming group at work that plays during our lunch hour. The group is pretty open to anything. Lately I've been craving deeper strategy games, but obviously most of the deeper games take more than 60 minutes to play. What suggestions would you have for deeper strategy games that take 60 minutes or less?

For reference, some of the "deeper" games that have hit the table recently include:

Splendor
Roll for the Galaxy
Race for the Galaxy
Ingenious!
Innovation + Echoes expansion (perhaps took just over an hour for 3p)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Kingdoms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if these are considered deeper strategy, but definitely strategic and under 1 hour:

Samurai
Red7
Impulse
7 Wonders
Zendo
TransAmerica
Unnamed Object
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best recommendation I can think of by far: Glass Road

Others:
Sail to India
China
Battle Line
Tinners' Trail - 60 minutes will only happen after all players know it really well, but it's do-able.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Petersburg
Impulse

Card Games:
Tichu
Bohnanza
Arboretum
Mottainai (available in late Q3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say but 2 of the listed would I call heavier. But since light games in an hour is in order, check out Broom Service playing the variants for more depth. Co-ops count? Pandemic with expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
I wouldn't say but 2 of the listed would I call heavier.

You saw his reference list of "deeper" games, right? It included Splendor and Ingenious, both relatively light. So most games mentioned so far are looking on par.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Jørgensen
Denmark
Glostrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glass Road +1, though 60 minutes might be difficult if you have AP-prone players among your group.

I would add the following
OddVille
Eight-Minute Empire: Legends
Harbour
Alea Iacta Est
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyrium is pretty deep and should be doable in one hour when playing quickly and perhaps not with the maximum player count.

Web of Power aka China aka Han is even less than one hour if played quickly.

The box of Lancaster also says 60 minutes.

Not really the 'deepest' games, but non-trivial and high replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica - Just a brilliant game. Simple mechanics, but so much depth. I find games tend to be really pacey as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot depends on how fast you play and how many players. Also the more deep the game usually the more thinking about your moves you need to do.

But you can get Puerto Rico done in that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Priests of Ra 2-5 player auction game
+1 for Bohnanza 3-7 player trading game
Haggis 2-3 player climbing game

There are a few games people have suggested that I've not played but have watched reviews and certainly sound like they would fit:

Impulse, Mottainai, Eight-Minute Empire: Legends

(These are all on my wishlist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Easy - Bridge. We get about 12 hands in in an hour. And it's easily one of the deepest games around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
United Kingdom
Cheadle
flag msg tools
Too many games...
badge
not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome if you can find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aymaster wrote:
I've got a gaming group at work that plays during our lunch hour. The group is pretty open to anything. Lately I've been craving deeper strategy games, but obviously most of the deeper games take more than 60 minutes to play. What suggestions would you have for deeper strategy games that take 60 minutes or less?

For reference, some of the "deeper" games that have hit the table recently include:

Splendor
Roll for the Galaxy
Race for the Galaxy
Ingenious!
Innovation + Echoes expansion (perhaps took just over an hour for 3p)

As soon as I saw the thread title, I clicked to post Roll for the Galaxy and Glory To Rome. But you're off to a good start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra
Samurai
Glory to Rome
Chicago Express
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:
Easy - Bridge. We get about 12 hands in in an hour. And it's easily one of the deepest games around.

Joe, the poor OP is only going to be alive 80 years or so. How do expect him to get any good at bridge in that short a period of time?

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arboretum

Glory to Rome or one of the clones Uchronia or Mottainai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor
+1 Chicago Express

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best and inexpensive deep games is In the Shadow of the Emperor. It can play pretty quickly once you have a few games under your belt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aymaster
msg tools
mb
Wow, so many good responses! Thanks, everyone, for your contributions. I'll comment on some of the suggestions below.

I'm definitely checking out Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Fleet , Glory to Rome, Mottainai, Impulse, and Arboretum.

7 Wonders, Bohnanza, TransAmerica have already hit the table in our group.

Bridge - As it turns out, I've played Bridge for over 15 years now since I first learned it in college. That said, 12 hands in an hour sounds like pure fantasy!

Puerto Rico in an hour also sounds too fantastic, sadly. I'd love to try, but I don't think my group would be up for it. The participants vary from session to session, so getting the same group enough experience to play a speed round of this, or any game with a >60 minute playtime, for that matter, would be very difficult. I appreciate all of those suggestions, though, and I'll look into several of them for my non-work gaming groups.

For co-ops, I don't think this particular group is into them. I brought Flash Point: Fire Rescue and the reactions ranged from meh to not interested.

For Eight-Minute Empire, would you recommend the original game or Eight-Minute Empire: Legends?

Thanks again, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresh Fish
For Sale
Ginkgopolis - oop but fantastic and usually about 45-60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
futhee wrote:
One of the best and inexpensive deep games is In the Shadow of the Emperor. It can play pretty quickly once you have a few games under your belt.

Fantastic to see this suggested. A wonderful overlooked game. But is said to only be good with four players.

To the OP: are you sure you mean strategic only? I would call Splendor a highly tactical game (and not very deep). Several of the suggested games are tactical in nature too so if that is okay I would highly recommend the small and excellent game König von Siam if you can find it or wait a few months to get the updated version of it: The King Is Dead. Plays well with 2-4 which is rare for a area majority game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aymaster
msg tools
mb
Tigrillo, thanks for pointing out my imprecise use of terms. I don't mean strategic only, as I would disqualify games like Roll for the Galaxy or Race for the Galaxy (both of which I believe have a significant tactical element) if I did. I'm interested in either strategic or tactical games. Really, the key factor for me is overall depth. The more complex the decisions, the better.

Another way to say this is as follows: I love games like Agricola, Caverna: The Cave Farmers, Warhammer 40,000, and Power Grid, but there's no way I could play those during a lunch hour. What games get me the closest to that sort of experience yet play in under an hour?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
Some of my favs:

Kingdom Builder and any or all of it's expansions
Trains
Trains: Rising Sun
Elasund: The First City
Suburbia
+1 Puerto Rico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.