Popular Tags: [View All]
Fraser Anderson
Germany
Ammerbuch-Entringen
Baden-Wurttemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I bought Squelch back in my high school days when I was all in a frenzy over all things from Games Workshop. I was a devoted Talisman and Warhammer player, so I figured anything that GW came out with would have to be a bit decent.

Here we go:

Bits: This is a tile laying game and you have 2 groups of tiles. First set are the Trolls, which you put on the table where every player can reach them. The pool of Troll tiles should number one less than the number of players.

Second are the squelchie/squig tiles. These feature a humorous image of a goblin in the typical GW style, superimposed over a red/blue patterned background. There is also a Gobbo tile that each player uses as a starting point.

Finally, the best part of the game (in my opinion,) is a cassette tape containing two goblin folk songs. This essentially sounds like drunken football fans singning "'ere we go 'ere we go 'ere we go" in heavily accented English.

Gameplay: on each turn, the player pulls a tile from the common pool and places it on the table, matching the colour on one side of the tile to the last tile currently in their chain. If they should turn over a tile marked "squelch" they have to grab a troll as quickly as possible. Whichever player does not manage to get a troll, loses their chain of tiles. Game is over when the common pool is exhausted and the longest chain of tiles wins.

fun factor? : Not much, it is really a kids game, and once the initial novelty of the troll songs and funny pictures wear off, you are not left with much. I think even small kids would rapidly bore of this one.

This of course is a bit of a let down. I think this game was produced when GW were at about their height of gaming and putting out many many titles. Some of these titles turned out great and were sadly abandoned (Talisman, Warhammer Quest, etc) and others like this were slightly less great. I think when I bought this I was hoping that it would be a silly, filler game that we could play inbetween table top battles, perhaps while one side or the other was setting up, or arguing over some inadequately defined rule.

overall rating: 3/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is a kid's game plain and simple. My kids loved it when they were small, especially my son who has the same sense of humour as the designers by the look of it. The song was a big hit with them.

I would have given it 7/10 based on how much they enjoyed it for youngsters. But no more than a generous 5/10 for an adult; as Fraser said no much longevity for older players.

My son had my copy out to play with his friend and left some of the tiles on his windowsill and a pool of condensation formed and turn them in to door stops.

There were many good games dropped overnight by GW, a somewhat unforgivable move to me as I was still after those dropped products. I remember strolling into the local GW and being confronted not with the game I had gone in to purchase but endless rows of WH. They must have been there all night to swap the shelving over.

Still as business plan it worked for them and they never even noticed that I wasn't buying from them any more cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.