Don Ward
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
The Monarch
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Deluxe and Collector's editions of Discworld: Ankh-Morpork becoming too rare to find, I'm considering "improving" my standard version. It's a great game, but the pieces with the standard version are a bit plain. Does anyone have any suggestions on improvements? I had thought about miniatures, but I like the meeple-like effect of the pieces in the deluxe version. Should I be considering cutting miniatures in half? Improved houses would be great too. I'm guessing there might be such items somewhere.

Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated.

PS if anyone sees a Deluxe of Collector's version for sale, PM me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the board size and the number between 7 and 9, the collectors edition is identical, only the deluxe that does anythign significantly different.

First thing you can pimp out if the trouble markers, as I'm positive the deluxe trouble markers I have are actually just these - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontefract_cake

I now have deluxe and collectors edition. I was planning on selling the collectors but my fiance refused to let me as she utterly hates the deluxe pieces!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Besides the board size and the number between 7 and 9, the collectors edition is identical, only the deluxe that does anythign significantly different.

The money in the collector edition is also wood, although the standard set that I saw gave me coin envy as the cardboard tokens are very pretty. The size of the board is the hardest thing to replace. The funny thing about the 8 replacement (other than the printing error on one or two of the cards) is that many readers now skip the early books where the fear of the magic number are mentioned.

TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
I now have deluxe and collectors edition. I was planning on selling the collectors but my fiance refused to let me as she utterly hates the deluxe pieces!

Time to sell the deluxe then, I know somebody whose collector set could use an upgrade. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
kurt_purcell wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

The money in the collector edition is also wood, although the standard set that I saw gave me coin envy as the cardboard tokens are very pretty. The size of the board is the hardest thing to replace.
Just sit closer
Quote:
The funny thing about the 8 replacement (other than the printing error on one or two of the cards)
As typos go, "the number between seven and none" is a pretty impressive one!

Quote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Time to sell the deluxe then, I know somebody whose collector set could use an upgrade. whistle

it was only £70 a couple of weeks ago! Box was a little mangled though, but managed to "best of breed" my two different copies to get up to full speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

I went with the collector's from the start, as I too prefer the wood pieces over the resin sculpts.

Though I can't argue with the thematic charm of those dull grungy-looking faces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carve your own pieces!

My wip:

Or try my FIMO casting technique:

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, sleeve the cards.
Secondly, store the game in a way that it is not going to be squashed or damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Ward
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
The Monarch
mbmbmbmbmb
Manuel, that is an impressive upgrade, carving your own pieces. I appreciate your dedication and I think that this may actually be the best method of upgrading. It also shows your dedication to the game and the subject matter, and I'm a fan of both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ich Bin
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hi people.
I recieved the AM as a Christmass gift at Dec 2014. I like that and I started to look for more info. Since I found that there is Deluxe Edition, I cann´t stop thinking about to get one. But there were no one available. Finally I decided to try to make my own... This is my first work with FIMO. There are still some details missing at agent and throl. Trouble marker is finished for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Ward
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
The Monarch
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work, I particularly like the trouble marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grimpo wrote:
Hi people.
I recieved the AM as a Christmass gift at Dec 2014. I like that and I started to look for more info. Since I found that there is Deluxe Edition, I cann´t stop thinking about to get one. But there were no one available. Finally I decided to try to make my own... This is my first work with FIMO. There are still some details missing at agent and throl. Trouble marker is finished for me.

They're ace and pretty faithful to the deluxe edition.

WHat about the demons though? THey're troublesome I think as they are "full" characters not just shoulders which really jar against the other minions. Shame it wasn't consistent.... you can change that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ich Bin
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
I finished the ears of agent and throl. Both now "baked". That ones at throll are better than at the agent. I also made the eyes to the throll. Not bad, but I am not sure they are good anought. Not baked still. I also tried eyes at agent, but not only that wasn´t good, I am going to like "eyeless agent" more and more... The eyes are really hard to match. I also was on the half-way with the body of deamon in the style of official DELUXE version, but I was so hardly tried to get nice brow arch - ocular cavity, that I goes wrong definitely. So, I will begin from the start again.

Also I am not sure how many count of "baking" is OK for the FIMO work, because after 3rd baking of agent, there appeared a few of cracks on his head. Throll has one baking less, while I made body basic and head at one step. At the guide there is written 30 minutes at 130*C, I did just 25 minutes at 120*C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you use this FIMO softener liquid?
I haven't found the perfect baking expertise myself yet..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ich Bin
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Eeeee... no? I didn´t even know there is something like FIMO softener? But I don´t know if it is usefull for me to have it softer than it is..., I think for my style of work it´s good enought as it is. I am DTP operator, so, when I have a few minutes free, I take FIMO and make ART.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.