THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I have noted two different Waddingtons versions. In one, the pieces are small plastic spaceships as depicted in the BGG picture of the game board. The game includes two clear plastic storage boxes.

The other Waddington edition has abstract plastic pieces (small circular thumbtack single-ship pieces, and larger missile-shaped multi-ship pieces). These are different than the pieces shown with the Anno 4000 version pictued on BGG. Also, this edition used four plastic storage boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Haas
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Component Differences
Mine came with what you're calling "thumbtack" pieces (although they are square, not circular) and only a single plastic storage box. I did buy mine second-hand so, it's possible the original owner replaced the original storage boxes with one of his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Eric Haas (#18325),

Without seeing them I can't say for sure that your thumbtack pieces are the same as the ones that Joe is referring to. I have seen pieces that are very much like thumbtacks and there is nothing about them that I would describe as square. In fact, they are pretty much exactly like round thumbtacks with the addition of a small sphere on the "point".

I have had about 15 copies pass through my possession and only two have been with these pieces. All others have been the same - short rectangular lengths sharpened to a point on one end and featuring a "v" groove along each length. The larger pieces are similar but instead of a groove along each side have one running around its circumference. (I'd be happy to provide close ups of these if requested.)

As to the containers - there have been several formats. The most common one has two square, plastic cases that are hinged. There has also been a version that had four round plastic cases with separate tops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greg (#18328),

The UK version has four oblong clear plastic boxes with hinged lids; the ships are as you have described (like small drawing pins with a spherical point). I say the "UK version", because it is the only one I have seen over here; I've never seen the one with the small prism-like pieces.

Top tip: If you have a 1960's version of Waddingtons Formula 1, or even Blast Off !, you can use any spare ships from this game to replace the backs of the dashboard pointers (as they are roughly the same size).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The 4000 A.D. page now has scans of the two types of pieces I have seen.

[EDIT: Images added to the original post.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.