Subject: Solo and electing ministers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Brophy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the decision to choose or not choose a minister taken after the die is rolled and you know the cost, or is it an irrevocable decision before rolling the die and, therefore, you must have enough in the bank in case you roll a 6? The 2nd paragraph talks about choosing a minister before the action card is revealed, whilst the 3rd paragraph talks about rolling the die and then choosing whether or not to pick a minister. I assume you choose after finding out the cost (bribe?) but I would appreciate clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the places in the rules where the actual sequence of play becomes confused by introductory sentences that use the same wording as the actual rules. To me it seems clear (supported by session reports I read) that you follow the 3rd paragraph for the actual step, and the 2nd paragraph is just meant to say that a) the play order decision replaces the election step, b) that instead of an election there is a choice, but c) that this happens prior to each of the 4 actions.
The 3rd paragraph then proceeds to detail what needs to be done, thankfully in chronological order again: roll first, then choose any or none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For each phase the player can choose different ministers. He can also choose the same minister each phase, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kendall
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb

Hi Stephen

I think this question has been raised in an earlier post, but no matter - we are here to help. Besides which Lutz has got in before me and his answer is spot on. Our mistake was in trying to explain what happens instead of Elect Ministers .... but that 'instead of' doesn't happen at that point in the sequence.

Hi Mike

The answers to your questions are 'yes' and 'yes'.

Thanks to both of you for the questions - I know other gamers find it very helpful to read through these posts.

Hope you enjoy the game and if you do .... please consider giving it a rating or even a short review (lots of interest out there, but unusually short on both these fronts).

Regards
Steve K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stephen,

I can confirm that I like the game a lot- I'm back this moment from a solo experience. I find it hard to win solo- 42 points is not even a baronial victory. I had expensive ministers all through the game, but also a piece of tremendous luck that saved 2 medals on the last turn (rolled a 6 when I needed it to evict a major insurgent that popped up with the last action). Great game, a lot of tension, the amount of luck needed can be managed to a certain extent, and everything is alwys in short supply. Just as it should be. Will try to get a 4-player game this Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kendall
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hi Lutz

42 is a pretty good score. We might need to ask Stephan (they call him DR Congo)just how he managed to muster 62 points - a mystery to me!

Regards
Steve K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen:

I have high hopes for the game as a multiplayer game, haven't had the chance to try that out yet.

As a solo game, I have questions about the degree of luck involved. It feels as though my high score will be the time I get the best luck rather than make the best decisions.

I might be soured by my last solo play, when twice I rolled a 1 when I needed 2 or higher. It ruined my entire plans for the 2 phase cycles. It's about the only time I've been tempted to cheat in solitaire.

At least it helped me get the rules down and I'm excited for the multiplayer. The mechanisms remind me of games like Brass where you look to take advantage of other's work to get ahead. It's hard to model that aspect in solitaire.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kendall
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb

Hi Mike

Inevitably when a dice is involved there will be luck involved. And don't forget there are two uses of the dice in the game (and perhaps the resource dice roll is the more important factor). Add to that the random draw of twos sets of cards and 'Yes', the best scores will come when everything falls into place.

As you may know, the game was designed as a multi-player game and then someone suggested (on BGG) that it might make a good solo game. It's our first attempt at delivering a solo set of rules and I must say it was great fun and extremely helpful in throwing a light on the multi-player play. Subsequently (and with the help of Rick at Box of Delights) we made a solo variant of Steam Donkey, which plays beautifully. Currently we are designing our next game 'Nina & Pinta' and solo rules are being built alongside the multi-player.

Another important aspect of all this is that the person purchasing the game can get to grip with the rules in a fun way and then teach the game to friends in a really informed way. To this end we have tried to keep the solo rules as close as possible to the multi-player rules. Hopefully the game will then reach more people, more effectively and I guess Mike that you are at that stage now. I hope it goes well and that the game delivers the tension and drama we hoped it might. And may you have a good luck!

Regards
Steve K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Gauss
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big S wrote:
Hi Lutz

42 is a pretty good score. We might need to ask Stephan (they call him DR Congo)just how he managed to muster 62 points - a mystery to me!

Regards
Steve K

...did somebody call for Dr. Congo's help? Here's what I recently posted to somehow explain this extraordinary score. (But I still feel, like it mostly was whitch-craft... )

Quote:
Main reason for this very high score: I think I was quite lucky with the ressource-prizes which went up by +3 nearly every year. But I also cared for them. Especially in the first years one should not underestimate the importance of the finance-minister.

But I was also lucky in my fights with the insurgents. I only lost two times in the whole game. But again, I never fought actively, when the odds were against me (worse than 50 %). In most of my fights, I only needed a die-roll of 2 or more to succeed. I think, it's quite important to concentrate your troops on the three or four regions that really matter for you. You should stick with a "path of development" throughout the map and do one step after the other. And sometimes it's much wiser to only suppress the insurgents and to carry on with the civil development until you have a good chance to win against the nasty grey men.

And eventually: develop your cities! It helps in every way - the fighting, the selling of energy and the end-score.

Enjoy the game and prosper!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.