12 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Teen Titans» Forums » General

Subject: Would you combine it with other sets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Reznor
msg tools
mb
Right now I'm not sure if I should get this.
I have seen the review on Board Game Brawl and noticed that MANY cards have ongoing-capabilites or are triggered by them. Even some of the superheroes depend on ongoing cards. Now if I combine sets, the deck will be dilluded and you'll have way less triggers and combos and some superheroes will be really weak because their powers will hardly ever take effect. That's just what I would imagine. Am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Stokes
United Kingdom
winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Not this good looking in real life
mbmbmbmbmb
After a couple of plays I'd say they're not really super weak in other decks. They rely on "ownership" of cards, which includes all cards played during your turn. So they have an easier time triggering when you have the large number of ongoing cards in the Titans deck, but still more-or-less work fine in other decks.

They're no weaker than some of the Forever Evil cards when used in other decks for example. Harley is a bit "meh" when you play with the Heroes unite or Justice League sets for example, while Red Lantern Supergirl is super-badass in Forever Evil.

Some will work better than others, but they're all workable as far as I can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Heath
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The cards are all perfectly workable in other sets, so they can be combined.

That being said, I decided that I will not combine mine. Diluting out the ongoing pool too much makes some of the cards significantly weaker and some of the superheroes as well. Not worth it in my opinion. This version is a bit trickier, but it's interesting enough on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Stiltner
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course combining sets will dilute the flavor of each individual set. So it's best to curate your deck if you combine multiple sets. But Ongoing effects are not limited to Teen Titans. All Locations have Ongoing effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Stokes
United Kingdom
winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Not this good looking in real life
mbmbmbmbmb
Also it looks like the super villains will work just fine with any other set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I do is typically choose one main deck to play but merge all the Superhero cards togeether. I'm still unsure if I'll do the same with Teen Titans b/c it will weaken the ability of some powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I have incorporated the cards into my main deck:

My DC Cube: an all-in-one deck

They work great, though I pick and choose from each set rather than jamming them all in at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingD21 wrote:
The only thing I do is typically choose one main deck to play but merge all the Superhero cards togeether. I'm still unsure if I'll do the same with Teen Titans b/c it will weaken the ability of some powers.

I think the only ones that might be "weakened" at all would be Blue Beetle and Starfire. The rest generally only need 1-2 cards in play to trigger and are still great effects without all the ongoing cards. Even Beetle would be good in other sets if you play like flash and grab all the "draw" cards. And Starfire just acts like other "grab all different types" heroes. I'd say give them a shot, you might be surprised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryyder wrote:

I think the only ones that might be "weakened" at all would be Blue Beetle and Starfire. The rest generally only need 1-2 cards in play to trigger and are still great effects without all the ongoing cards. Even Beetle would be good in other sets if you play like flash and grab all the "draw" cards. And Starfire just acts like other "grab all different types" heroes. I'd say give them a shot, you might be surprised.

Starfire probably isn't so bad based on set and proper planning:
Forever Evil has Element Woman, Firestorm Matrix and Green Arrow.
Heroes Unite has Force Field, Power of the Green, and Vandal Savage.
Core has Robin, Batsignal and Man of Steel.

Starfire + early Element Woman could thin out most of your starters pretty quickly.

Street Fighter hurts Starfire because of having less Equipment in the main deck, but also helps in the fact that each player has one more card type (Ultra). This hurts Wonder Girl more.

As for Blue Beetle, I think the trick is playing Vulnerabilities and Weakness cards regardless of set. Blue Beetle will reward having tons of drawing cards in other sets or cards that get other cards. Core has Robin, Batsignal and Man of Steel to help Blue Beetle, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Brady
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
CodeAndReload wrote:
Stryyder wrote:

Starfire probably isn't so bad based on set and proper planning:
Forever Evil has Element Woman, Firestorm Matrix and Green Arrow.
Heroes Unite has Force Field, Power of the Green, and Vandal Savage.
Core has Robin, Batsignal and Man of Steel.

Starfire + early Element Woman could thin out most of your starters pretty quickly.

Street Fighter hurts Starfire because of having less Equipment in the main deck, but also helps in the fact that each player has one more card type (Ultra). This hurts Wonder Girl more.

As for Blue Beetle, I think the trick is playing Vulnerabilities and Weakness cards regardless of set. Blue Beetle will reward having tons of drawing cards in other sets or cards that get other cards. Core has Robin, Batsignal and Man of Steel to help Blue Beetle, etc.

Core also has any Location to help Blue Beetle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Herandez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I mix every single main deck card from every thing together, og, HU, FE, EX1, EX2, CO1, CO2, rivals(no confrontation and block cards), and the promo location.

I usually play two heroes all the time.

Kid Flash is amazing with other sets. You tend to get a lot of power in HU, so you could put kid flash to work.

Love beast boy as well, discard catwoman/kick get back star bolt/hawk girl. Or discard batarang/flight get back skeets/canary cry. Put some bosses on top of your deck and you're good to go.

Super boy is always awesome. You have to be brave though. Don't go for the good stiff in the line up unless it's a super power the first two turns. Get two kicks and around turn 5 or six you should proc your ability getting a little edge over any one else (unless you're playing against an animal man)

Everyone knows raven is a monster. In a long game raven will dominate, don't let her get them star bolts, ultra strength, super strength, or that new one +2 draw two. Also don't let her get the red tornado card that puts her deck into her discard pile, or you will get looped and want surrender.

Red Robin, don't let him get the bat man hero card, Mr freeze HU super villain, mind control hat, etc. Also try your best when playing against him, to not let him get two heroes early, he gets+1 regardless if an equipment is not in his discard pile.

Blue beetle and starfire TT are the weaker ones in the bunch when thrown into other expansions.

If you are blue beetle, GET Emerald knight, and granny goodness, those are two cards in play, really good for him. Also if vandal savage, og or impossible is the first SV, rush for that and nothing else. Even if there is a sciencell or saintwalker on board and you're facing against a hawk man or black canary, GET VANDAL SAVAGE.

StarFire TT can't get countered make sure you get them locations or at least one and your set. It would be tough after you destroy everything because you have no power gain. That's why you don't get those +1 power cards that don't get any additional power, go for straight up power cards and play defensive, buy what makes the foe stronger.

All in all, cryptazoic did some great work on these cards. This first time a set with almost all even super hero cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryyder wrote:
KingD21 wrote:

I meant the frequency of hitting your superpower. But that can be said about all the sets (and crisis) -- some heros are great/playable in some sets and some are not. With ongoings, it's just easier to hit the control -geared powers -- but yes, play to your superheroes strength!

I'll give it about 10 plays before merging the 8 into the master deck of superheroes. This way I can fully appreciate the work in the standalone.

I still probably won't merge decks. I simply like the mesh within the sets -- PLUS it avoids any 'broken' combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.